THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR FORMULA ONE

Posted by variante_ascari 
Date: April 11, 2003 03:21AM
Posted by: variante_ascari
All ten teams sign agreement with GPWC

All ten Formula One teams signed a memorandum of understanding in Munich yesterday for the threatened 'breakaway' GPWC world championship.

Interpreted as a bid to pile the pressure on F1 impresario Bernie Ecclestone, GPWC - headed by five competing F1 manufacturers - is principally designed to keep more than half a billion dollars in the teams' pockets.

Jean Todt, Ron Dennis, David Richards, Frank Williams, Peter Sauber, Eddie Jordan, Flavio Briatore, Richard Parry-Jones, Paul Stoddart and Ove Andersson all put their pens to the document.

Speculation suggests that the smaller operations, like Jordan, Sauber and Minardi, were promised subsidised customer engine deals under the GPWC structure.

BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Ferrari, Ford and Renault formed GPWC in late 2001 as an alternate racing series to Formula One, to kick off 'no later than' 2008.

But analysts insisted that it's primary function was as a warning to Formula One bigwigs that the manufacturers, and associated teams, wanted a more transparent sport with more revenue within the existing F1 framework.

A GPWC statement read, 'The meeting was part of an ongoing development process and represents a key step for GPWC and the formula one teams towards realising their common goals.'

One analyst describes GPWC as a strong 'negotiating tool' to get Bernie Ecclestone at his desk and working on a new, and more lucrative (for the teams) Concorde Agreement.

GPWC outlines it's 'goals' as achieving long-term stability for the sport, significantly increasing team payments and creating a more transparent commercial environment.

The alternate championship has invited FIA President Max Mosley and Ecclestone to a subsequent meeting to update the F1 bosses on the 'details' of yesterday's Munich congregation.

Interestingly, though, Bernie Ecclestone wasn't far away as his Formula One team bosses signed the document to be forthwith known as the 'Munich agreement.'

The 72-year-old was also in Germany (Stuttgart) for a meeting with Jurgen Hubbert, director of DaimlerChrysler (Mercedes), for what experts are calling 'compromise talks.'

None of the ten F1 team bosses were available for comment after the Munich meeting.

Re: THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR FORMULA ONE
Date: April 11, 2003 03:32AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Interpreted as a bid to pile the pressure on F1 impresario Bernie Ecclestone

That's the important bit. I wouldn't consider this the beginning of the end for Formula One, just a threat posed to Mr. Ecclestone to get his act together.

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: April 11, 2003 03:34AM
Posted by: sasjag
it'll never happen IMO, there be the mandatory badgering from both sides, they'll come to an agreement an all will be hunky dunky dory again (ferrari can still leave if they want tho)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: April 11, 2003 03:44AM
Posted by: Vader
The point is that the Concorde agreement expires in 2007. As we all know the foundation of breakaway series (lead by no other than Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley) lead to this agreement and conclusively to the dethronement of then FIA head Jean-Marie Balestre.

Since back then Mosley and Ecclestone have done the same as the GPWC does now, they probably know better than everybody else if this has to be taken serious or not.

Funny, back then the result was that the rebel Max Mosley took over the FIA. Right now Ron Dennis is head of the GPWC. Does this mean he will be the next head of the FIA?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 11, 2003 04:47AM
My mistake: Ron Dennis is not head of the GPWC.

First it was ex-FIAT CEO Paolo Cantarella. Now it is the Daimler Chyrsler board member Jürgen Hubbert.

Post Edited (04-11-03 11:51)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 11, 2003 05:37AM
Posted by: Rubidius
That's scary. It means I probably accidentally bumped into one of the team bosses in Munich airport!

I just got back from Germany yesterday, and finally got a chance to see the tape of the Brazilian GP. While I was there, I tried to get it on RTL, but my host family recorded the wrong channel.

I wasn't able to watch it live, because all of the people from our school trip had to go to the Olympic Stadium in Munich to see TSV 1860 v. Borussia Mönchengladbach. It was a rubbish game, and I should have stayed home for the race and let my friends go and get bored. I had to wait until yesterday, but fortunately my real family taped it for me on ITV.

--Rubi

Date: April 11, 2003 06:27AM
Posted by: andrew_S
yeah, i think we are heading for another fisa/foca type war here, its really bad for the sport, and i lay all the blame at the manufacturers, F1 would be better without and direct manufacturer control in teams, imho

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: April 11, 2003 08:51AM
Posted by: G_Force
Don't know about that, I reckon that the teams adn Bernie will start negotiations on the new concorde agreement soon and all this will be used for is a bargaining chip.

----------
[timblair.net]
----------
Homer Simpson: "Well i would like to live long enough to see the effects of global warming, cos i've got an inside line that its all a load of crap"
Date: April 11, 2003 09:34AM
Posted by: checha
Guys if the teams can have more money with their championship and do the rules they want.. go ahead..ok if you dont like GPWC we can change to FORMULA 1 TWO is the same.. who is gonna stay with Bernie, Mclaren is gone, ferrari too, as toyota, Eddie jordan wont stay as sauber. what about Bar no way and if minardi stay well their are gonna be the only 2 cars on the track....... it´s good that Bernie receive this from the teams!!

Date: April 11, 2003 09:50AM
As I already said months ago. even if the teams decide to form a breakaway series, where are they going to race? No circuit will host a GPWC race if they have to fear losing all other FIA events for that.

What soes bring more money? One GPWC race per year and a complete FIA boycott or no GPWC race but F3, F3000, DTM and all other minor Formula-series together? I guess team owners can not afford to fall out with the FIA.

Post Edited (04-11-03 16:53)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 11, 2003 10:20AM
you mean that the circuits wont host races with those great teams?? and take some easy money?? i´m venezuelam boy and for sure too many countrys can host grand prix.. Belgium is one!

Date: April 11, 2003 11:10AM
Yes, but if Belgium does host a GPWC race they might lose all other FIA races. SO it's one race against lots of others. What will they chose?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 11, 2003 11:51AM
ummmmmm... interesting point of view...!! well just kick Bernie out!! and i will be very happy!

Date: April 11, 2003 12:13PM
Posted by: marcl
Get rid of Bernie and get proper TV coverage.
Date: April 11, 2003 12:31PM
Rumours had it Berger might be Bernies successor. Berger, however, denied he was after the job.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy