Italian league suspended

Posted by gav 
Italian league suspended
Date: February 03, 2007 02:57PM
Posted by: gav
Haven't seen this posted here, so thought I'd do it, as it's utterly outrageous. :(

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has suspended all matches indefinitely after a policeman was killed at a Serie A match between Catania and Palermo.

Officer Filippo Raciti died as violence flared during the Sicilian derby.

The FIGC has called off all this weekend's professional and amateur games, and also cancelled Italy's friendly with Romania on Wednesday.

Commissioner Luca Pancalli said: "What we're witnessing has nothing to do with soccer, so Italian soccer is stopping."

According to reports, 38-year-old Raciti was struck in the face by a small explosive while attempting to deal with fighting outside the stadium.
Source and more: [news.bbc.co.uk]

And I thought England had the notorious hooligans...
Re: Italian league suspended
Date: February 03, 2007 03:35PM
Posted by: matt3454
Italian football is in free fall, Attendances dropping loads (i read somewhere that a woman can buy a season ticket to AC Milan i think it was for £10 compared to around £400 for Man Utd), they've just got past the bung scandal and a massive spat of hooliganism, with an official being killed at a game last week, and now a policeman.
I don't know what they need to do but they need a miracle to get Italian football back to its good old days (even though they are current world champions...)

Date: February 03, 2007 05:39PM
Posted by: LS.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> And I thought England had the notorious
> hooligans...

The media usually only report about the usual suspects, when in reality there are football hooligans in every country.

Shocking story nonetheless.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 03, 2007 06:13PM
Posted by: matt3454
In my opinion hooligans in Turkey are the worst, but it takes something massive for them to be reported on.

In england all a fan has to do is to drop a bottle for the whole would to be calling us hooligans.

Date: February 05, 2007 11:08PM
Posted by: bestobritish
I cant say im suprised theyve done this, its the very least they can do. Singing songs and shouting a bit of abuse and banter at rival fans is fine but to do this over a game is unforgivable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: February 06, 2007 08:42PM
Posted by: Guimengo
That came as a result of the chants of abuse towards the fans of the rival team. Until the day people can understand others are trying to get them mad and are simply able to laugh at and ignore those comments/chants, football won't stop having all this violence.
Should do with banning those official crowd groups, for lack of better words to describe what I mean in English.
Date: February 07, 2007 08:41PM
Posted by: LS.
England play Spain tonight, it'll be interesting to see if certain quarters of the spanish fans chant monkey noises at our black players again.

I think last time a measly financial penalty was the punishment

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: February 10, 2007 05:39PM
Posted by: gin
"What we're witnessing has nothing to do with soccer, so Italian soccer is stopping." ummm...i know what they trying to say, but that just sounds stupid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy