Unseen Hooliganism at World Cup - Panorama Special

Posted by Muks_C 
Unseen Hooliganism at World Cup - Panorama Special
Date: August 03, 2006 01:41PM
Posted by: Muks_C
did anyone see this last night?

it was the unseen side of the troubles in Germany druing the world cup, mainly involving England "supporters" (i use that term very loosely).

it was meant to be the "Time to Make Friends" tournament where the Englih and Germans could finally bury the hatchet over the wars, but it didn't turn out like that.

it may have appeared that there were only a few nights of trouble during the WC, but in fact it was pretty much every night, with the majority of trouble involving, and being started by, the English.

it started 2 night before the first game was even played!

while the british police did their to stop known trouble makers even travelling in the first place, still many many hundreds did manage to get across to germany. the hierarchy was still in place so losing the "leaders" of the trouble didn't seem to change much or prevent the troubles.

some of the scenes were shocking. and some of it was pure stupidity.

when there were no other nationalities around, the english even started fighting amongst themselves!

and the anger wasn't just focused on the Germans, they would attack anyone who wasn't english. one guy took a brazil flag from a brazilian and burnt it!

then they picked on a couple of tunisians who they thought were Turks.

and there was alot of racist chants and stuff also. the english were singing "i'd rather be a paki that a krout!" and one guy even said "all i wanna do is slice a muslims head off". now what the hell has that got to do with football?

when in nuremberg they were told that any nazi gestures would lead to arrest, they still went ahead and did the salute.

and please don't anyone defend them by saying "it's only a few bad apples spoiliing it for the majority", there were hundreds all to ready to jump in.

in Cologne, they were told not to climb statues and monuments, yet they did. but the police remained calm and let them do it so as not to appear too aggressive.

then 1 guy fell off a statue and hurt himself, so and ambulance was called and while the medics treated him, the police surrounded them so they cold be protected and the guy could get unhindered aid. so what did the rest of the "fans" do? start throwing bottles at the police who were guarding the injured man!

the German police did some preventative arrests on some known German trouble makers, and that went well, but after a few nights of trouble they had to do the same with the English also, but still it kicked off.

the Bavarian Riot Squad had to come in and sort it out, they looked cool in their armour, they should have just broken the legs of anyone involved.

anyone see this program? it was last night on BBC1 at 9pm.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Re: Unseen Hooliganism at World Cup - Panorama Special
Date: August 03, 2006 08:41PM
Posted by: LS.
i imagine thats only half the story as usual, last tournament in europe when it was in france (98 i think ) English tabloids were orchestrating potential situations to get a good story.

There will always be violence at football tournaments, and incidents with other countrys.

Theres more trouble with european football fans, but the bbc never really make exposes about them unfortunately.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 03, 2006 09:13PM
but it was the english at the centre of all the trouble, that's the thing. what was the need to pick on brazilians or tunisians?

there were some youngsters from huddersfield who like to riot here, and saw the WC as their opportunity to get onto the "big stage".

the hooligans were also singing "my grandad shot your grandad" at the germans. was there any need for this?

Date: August 03, 2006 09:28PM
Posted by: LS.
There are yobs in every country, but as usual its fasionable to scrutinise the english ones.

Your seeing it from a bbc point of view, because thats the story they want to tell, there was plenty of other things going off with other fans, and if they had included it then it might have balanced the view a bit more.

Did it mention the Polish fans that went there to fight? they posed a bigger threat to the german police than the england fans

Was there any mention of the Neo nazis that where going to go there going there on a rally?

I'm not defending the english thugs, but lets be clear about one thing, they are plenty of other thugs from countrys that participate

There were many other things happening outside the grounds during the tournament, maybe the bbc will do a documentry on that? but more likely than not eh? ;-)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2006 09:54PM by LS..
Maybe they couldn't fill up such detailed documentary with other "fans"?
Date: August 04, 2006 01:32AM
Posted by: Covfan
They could make a whole TV series about the German and Polish fans fighting during the World Cup if they wanted to.
It could be that they are interested in showing people from their nation, not foreigners. They want a change and show that there is a problem by broadcasting images of your countrymen obviously in an attempt to appeal to your emotions as you can definitely relate more to an English than to a Polish person, if you're the average citizen of England
Date: August 04, 2006 02:29AM
Posted by: Covfan
If I was making a programme about "Unseen Hooliganism at the World Cup" I wouldn't just talk about what English fans did.
I wouldn't either, unless I wanted to showcase to my own people how there fellow countrymen manage to spread a bad image of everyone else and try to use it as a weapon of change.

Or maybe it could be to generate ratings :P
Date: August 04, 2006 01:06PM
Posted by: Enjoi
Saw a bit of this but it was embarassing to watch, I felt ashamed seing our England 'fans' doing that, they're supposed to be representing England supporters over there. The main event for them is the fighting and they're just using the event as an excuse.

Like Muks said, some of the stuff they said was just so stupid. It's a shame, I thought that there wasn't any of this happening this time round as it was well documented on the news at the previous events

Ric Scott
Date: August 04, 2006 02:57PM
yeah they showed about the germans and polish "fans" having an organised fight, where they wore mouthguards and it was like a royal rumble.

and of course the BBC will focus on the english because they are gonna broadcast it in england. the point for me is that during the tournament, it all looked calm and with only a few spots of trouble as were reported on the news, i (and i'm sure many other who saw it) had no idea it was going on literally every night, with the english orchestrating and starting the riots. yes other nationalities got involved, but the english seemed to be at the hub of 99% of the riots.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy