IRL going down?

Posted by DaveEllis 
IRL going down?
Date: November 21, 2008 08:43AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Well it seems the reunification has actually hurt the series then.

Rahal Letterman has lost its sponsors, and Hunter-Reay has been told to find work.
NHL has lost its sponsors and Justin Wilson has been told to find work.
KV Racing has not offered either driver an extension on its contract because it will probably not exist come 2009.
IRL has refused to renew the license for Roth Racing, removing a further 2 cars.
Dreyer & Reinbold Racing might be dead before 2009.
Conquest might be dead before 2009.

That takes us down to about 17 cars...and we're only in November. Maybe 18 if Beck Motorsports arrives. And there is a few good drivers looking for seats. Realistically, the only one that might be available is the #3 Penske seat, depending on what happens to Helio.

The caledner...
Cleveland is out.
Surfers Paradise is out.
Road America is out.

IRL has still not found a title sponsor, and if NASCAR struggles to get them, IRL is up sh*t creek.

Dallara has been declared the only chassis available for the 2011 rules (if the series even makes it that far), despite overcharging for the chassis. IRL needs the price to come down, and really should start a bidding war for the rights to make chassis. Honda engines aren't exactly cheap either.

Might be about to witness the death of Open Wheel Racing in the US. And ironicly it wasn't TG that killed it, it was the economy.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: IRL going down?
Date: November 21, 2008 06:49PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Gee, and I thought Formula 1 was on the ropes! IRL by your description is on the floor coughing its lungs out compared to other series.

And re: NASCAR, what could save them money is reducing the amount of races they have. 36? That leaves 16 weekends free! Take it down to 30 or something, with a couple sabatticals midseason in the calendar

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 21, 2008 08:10PM
Posted by: chet
Its funny how a spec chassis and engine could bring addvantages and disadvantages.

Dallara should and probably could half the cost of there chassis, and Honda probably do the same!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 24, 2008 11:57AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
turkey_machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gee, and I thought Formula 1 was on the ropes! IRL
> by your description is on the floor coughing its
> lungs out compared to other series.
>
> And re: NASCAR, what could save them money is
> reducing the amount of races they have. 36? That
> leaves 16 weekends free! Take it down to 30 or
> something, with a couple sabatticals midseason in
> the calendar

how would that save nascar money? they get prizemoney. anyway they cut testing in nascar so thatll save them heaps.

tbh it dosent mean anything to me if irl dies. openwheel racing in the USA died in 2004 for me.

Date: November 24, 2008 02:29PM
The prize money doesn't offset enough the costs of running a car for the weekend, but the points gained for finishing in the top 35 mean they have to go.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: November 24, 2008 08:58PM
Posted by: Peat
[www.indycar.com]

erm, so WHO exactly likes quieter race cars?

Date: November 24, 2008 10:00PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> The prize money doesn't offset enough the costs of
> running a car for the weekend, but the points
> gained for finishing in the top 35 mean they have
> to go.

That doesn't make any sense. NASCAR struggled, but succeeded to get a TITLE SPONSOR for the Truck Series. This has no effect what-so-ever on the teams involved, and does not need a cut in the schedule.

83 drivers entered the NASCAR Sprint Cup in 2008.
160 drivers entered the NASCAR Nationwide Series in 2008.
120 drivers entered the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series in 2008.

I can't be arsed counting the other series, but the Sprint Cup had around 60 cars. At no point in the year did the grid fall under the maximum of 43, meaning several cars were still DNQing. Whilst some NASCAR teams have struggled (Petty, DEI, Ganassi), this is simply a sign of the times. Many NASCAR teams are doing very well - Hendrick, Roush, Gibbs for example. And we have privateers such as James Hylton still managing to fund there own efforts, and Tony Stewart forming his own team.

NASCAR is doing just fine with a 36 race schedule.

Oh, and testing has been cut, and if this new contract goes through, the top teams won't be testing at all.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2008 10:01PM by DaveEllis.
Date: November 25, 2008 07:41PM
Most of those top teams are running 3, 4 or more cars though. That's 40% of the grid already, and 40-odd other cars fighting out for the 25-odd other places on the grid.

Date: November 25, 2008 07:59PM
Yeah, your right. There is 40 cars fighting for 25 places on the grid. Didn't you just say NASCAR was in trouble and needs to cut costs? Kinda destroyed your own point there.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 26, 2008 03:59AM
Seems I need to do more research on what I'm talking about. As I haven't watched it in a long time, I'll shut up from here on in. :)

Date: November 27, 2008 03:53PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> Seems I need to do more research on what I'm
> talking about. As I haven't watched it in a long
> time, I'll shut up from here on in. :)

No comment.

Date: November 27, 2008 04:35PM
NeilPearson Wrote:
> turkey_machine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Seems I need to do more research on what I'm
> > talking about. As I haven't watched it in a
> long
> > time, I'll shut up from here on in. :)
>
>
> No comment.

Hoof**kingray!

Date: November 29, 2008 11:12AM
are you serious? I was still taking the piss out of you

Date: November 29, 2008 07:31PM
NeilPearson Wrote:
> are you serious? I was still taking the piss out
> of you

You feel the need to point out every time I'm wrong at something. The fact I admitted as much to it just shows your complete moronity in chasing me on everything I do. Frankly, I'd like it to stop, but unless Mother Nature obliges with a thunderstorm in the outback, I doubt it'll happen.

Date: November 30, 2008 03:02AM
See, you i target because you laugh at everyone else. but cannot laugh at yourself, you claim you can but your actions contradict yourself. Since i cant handle and dont like liars, well it wont stop.

Date: November 30, 2008 03:53AM
NeilPearson Wrote:
> See, you i target because you laugh at everyone
> else. but cannot laugh at yourself, you claim you
> can but your actions contradict yourself. Since i
> cant handle and dont like liars, well it wont
> stop.

Before you and I pollute this thread even further, I'll say this. As far as I'm concerned, you don't deserve any further correspondance from me. I can laugh at myself, otherwise I wouldn't have admitted I was wrong earlier. What you are trying to make me do I won't do. It was already responsible for one wrongdoing (take it to PM rather than discuss it here), it won't be responsible for another on my or your part.

Date: November 30, 2008 11:24PM
Posted by: chet
NeilPearson Wrote:
> See, you i target because you laugh at everyone
> else. but cannot laugh at yourself, you claim you
> can but your actions contradict yourself. Since i
> cant handle and dont like liars, well it wont
> stop.

Dont know why I am going to interupt and make it worse but what kind of a post is that? Neil you are the most pointless member on this board.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 02, 2008 06:20AM
Posted by: sasjag
he makes a completly valid point though

so i guess he isnt pointless. he's also by far one of the most entertaining members here

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: December 03, 2008 12:04AM
Posted by: mortal
Handbags at 10 paces? Hmmmm, c'mon guys, settle down. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: December 05, 2008 10:58AM
chet Wrote:
> NeilPearson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > See, you i target because you laugh at everyone
> > else. but cannot laugh at yourself, you claim
> you
> > can but your actions contradict yourself. Since
> i
> > cant handle and dont like liars, well it wont
> > stop.
>
>
> Dont know why I am going to interupt and make it
> worse but what kind of a post is that? Neil you
> are the most pointless member on this board.

Because its the truth? and i decided i wanted to tell him why he is a douche bag

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy