MAJOR XP problem

Posted by Ellis 
MAJOR XP problem
Date: February 14, 2002 01:49PM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Ok, i have a amjor problem, and people with XP will know what im on bout when i describe it, it wont apply to other OS

When i press ctrl/alt/del the task manager comes up, and normally you get tabs at the top to flick between the pages yeah? Well those tabs are gone, so is the blue bar at the top :( I cant see what operations my comp is running, only the on-screen operations.

Hers a sceenshot

(that better bloody display)

Can anyone help? I need the tabs at the top back to see exactly what processes my comp is running and i need the blue bar, note that the only way to close task manager when you open it is to right click on the system try icon and close it, no other way works anymore

I REALLY need help on this, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Re: MAJOR XP problem
Date: February 21, 2002 12:06PM
Yo Sup

Sorry, im just posting to bring this problem back to the top of the list again, i really need/want this fixed!

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 21, 2002 01:33PM
Posted by: dave
You have my sympathy mate but I have no help to offer. I can't believe you haven't ordered Bill Gates execution yet.
Date: February 21, 2002 01:46PM
Posted by: Beardless2
ellis,

go to <www.tweakxp.com> , there may be something there that can help

Date: February 21, 2002 01:46PM
Posted by: Beardless2
lets try that again

[www.tweakxp.com]

Date: February 21, 2002 02:28PM
Posted by: Habi
I hate windows. I have to reformat my pc because i can't connect to CS servers :(
Sorry i can't help you.

Date: February 22, 2002 06:04AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
use win98 SE

Chris C
--------------------------------------
GPTC &amp; GPVWC Manager o' CVRT
HawkEyE '01WC' Driver o' CVRT
http://cvrt.tk
Date: February 22, 2002 06:13AM
Posted by: CDN_Merlin
What is that "virus is killing my PC.reg." stuff?

Beta tester for;
Descent 3, C & C Generals, Independance War 2, Starfleet Command 2,
Settlers IV, Tzar, Allegiance, Starfleet Command,
MAX 2, Defiance
Date: February 22, 2002 06:19AM
Posted by: Habi
use win98 SE

If you are saying that to me - i use WIN 98 SE! :\
if not..... sorry :)

Date: February 22, 2002 11:37AM
Yo Sup

I also have win98 SE installed on my HD but Word doesnt work (illegal ops), and none of the other Office stuff works, and XP is ALOT faster than 98, it uses the RAM better. Also after looknig at XP, 98 looks really horrible, i like XP better to look at cos i can set up different accounts for all my family. Im the admin, and my dad/brothers are power users, meaning they can do anything but install programs/edit windows.

CND Merlin - "virus is killing my PC.reg.", thats an MSN conversation, his name just happened to be "virus is killing my PC.reg."

This problem isnt affecting me now, but it may be very critical at later stages. I cant actaully see the tabs so i cant change tab.

Anyone else with XP, what are the tabs names and what is in them?

Thanx Beardless2, i'll have a look

Date: February 23, 2002 02:07PM
Posted by: WedgeAntilles
Hey Ellis, the TABS are

Applications (what you see)
Processes (everything running on your machine)
Permormance ( graph showing perf ratings)
Networking ( if you use a network)
Users (what users are logged into your PC)

Thats it really, what you have is all you need to shut down stuff, just like in Win98, why you arent seeing the others I dont know, I think you prolly have settings somewhere which are different to mine, try your system settings and see if there are options somewhere to ensure Task Manager is shown in full. Last resort is to use Remote Assistance and get someone at MS to control your desktop online and fix your dilemma...good luck!

May The DownForce Be With You!
Date: February 23, 2002 02:28PM
Yo Sup

Nobody at MS is gona get online with me, i have a copied version of XP and everyone in my school who is running XP are all on the same serial number so we have at least 70 people i think who have it now on the same serial number :S.

Im not worried bput the performance/networking/users tabs, i want the processes tab back though. There isnt an option cos this just suddenyl happened in all accounts without anything being changed. I can close task manager either in some circomstances

Look at this pic

As you can see there is no icon in the system tray so i cant close it. I used to have to right click on the icon and then select close. But now it is stuck open till i close the computer down.

This is REALLY bugging me

Date: February 23, 2002 04:48PM
Ah well, now I didint know you were using a ripped version of XP, that might explain it. I read recently that the reason MS are using the Activation/Registration thing is to stop multiple users and anyone doing so will still be able to use the system but things will some things will not work correctly, such as perhaps your current dilemma. Every time an XP user is online with XP, MS can receive info from your system, that is why activation has to be done every 3 months to validate your version of XP.

This may or may not be true, only what Ive read, Im just glad I have a genuine copy, in fact thats one of the reasons I DID get a real copy, I didnt fancy any Microsoft trickery online to stop me getting the most out of it!

Date: February 23, 2002 05:02PM
Yo Sup

Im using the real version of XP Pro, i have the real CD and many many people have copied it and using the same serial number so effectivly its ripped. Nobody else but me has had these problems and im putting it down to my slow processor.

Every time an XP user is online with XP - thats what i think is odd cos in theroy if you turn on the firewall this cant happen cos data can get out but it very very difficult to get in so difficult to modify anything.

I THINK this was caused by my brother. He recently tried to install a game in my acount whilst i was out. I went out for 10 min leaving myself signed in trusting nobody would go on the PC, when i come back everything looks ok, same programs still runing etc. The later he tells me he tried to install championship manager. This is the only change that has be done to the comp so i think it was something he did.

I have also just noticed that its only my account that has the problem, everyone else has these tabs and the blue bar at the top. I know its not an option cos im the admin and didnt change anything, only my bro trying to install a game.

Date: February 24, 2002 12:10AM
Aaargh, little brothers eh! If theres anything worse than Microsoft, (big brother :-D) then its little brother...LOL

Have you tried making a new user account, and then giving that one admin status, then delete your old admin...just a thought, not fiddled with multi admin stuff before but I believe it can be done!

Date: February 24, 2002 05:45AM
Yo Sup

I might try that later actually, but theres some weird problem about programs working in m account then not others accounts (namingly GP3/GP3 2000/Half-Life)

Date: February 25, 2002 01:33PM
Posted by: cae9
double click on the grey bit and that will give you your options again! and you will be ble to tab through different things!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologise!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy