hi everyone

Posted by andy.. 
hi everyone
Date: April 08, 2002 09:33AM
Posted by: andy..
i 'm new to this forum... i would like to know just how you get real speed out of the cars in the game. e.g. at interlagos i seem to reach a lap time 1m 16.5XX and can seem to get no faster, that said i am using a keyboard with auto gears and traction control (i am slower than slow itself without these aids with the keyboard). I have seen times of about 1m15.5XX and possibly faster still.
I am using GP3 1.13 with the standard tracks, physics, HP figures.
I have got a great balance with the car, but i just can't get below 1m16.5XX
i'm not asking you lot to reveal your speed secrets or anything, but a general push in the right direction would be really appreciated : )

thanks

andy..

if at first you don't succeed, try again, then.... give up
Re: hi everyone
Date: April 08, 2002 09:49AM
Posted by: Farieda
The only thing I can say is that if you want to improve time you'd need to upgrade your tools to work with. Instead of using the keyboard maybe try to get your hands on a joystick or better yet a steering wheel. ymmv, though i prefer a steering wheel over a joystick for better control. If i want to pilot my il2 sturmovik I'll pick up the joystick.

with keyboard you loose a lot of time when you are not going full throttle. since the keyboard only knows the full and sero options on this, but there is no way you can apply a small dose of throttle and ease around corners. It is more like rapidly slamming the heck out of it trying to get it stuttering around the apex.

correct? :)
Date: April 08, 2002 10:24AM
yeah, i see your point, but even in the digital competitions around on the net i see times of 1m14.9XX, WOW, it kinda makes me wonder how i can get to that level? if i was just .5 of a second off that i would be fairly pleased...

that is some time : )

Date: April 08, 2002 10:31AM
Posted by: NunoEspadinha
welcome!!! :-D

-----------------------------
Virtual-Games.com: [www.virtual-games.com]
Virtual-Games.com Racing Team: [racing.virtual-games.com]

Date: April 08, 2002 01:36PM
Since i am new here as well i think it is safe to assume it applies to me too, so thank you :) and welcome to all the other newcomers..

i loathe the term newbie, since it portrays something i have no desire at all in pursuing.

peace.
Date: April 08, 2002 01:46PM
Posted by: W1lliams
Hi there, I am virtually a newbie myself, you'll find the people here friendly, very helpful and intelligent - but enough of the falttery!

Your time is pretty much what I can achieve with my keyboard, I consider myself pretty good on GP3, not up to the standards of many people on this board but certainly better than "average Joe"!

I read somewhere that a good steering wheel can make up 2 seconds a lap on some tracks, my wheel is currently on order, I'll let you know!

Oh and of course setup is vital, it can easily make up 2 or 3 seconds a lap if you get it right, I am still learning about this aspect of F1 racing. The trouble with Interlagos is you want low downforce for that massive straight but lots for the infield section, mechanical versus aerodynamic downforce.

Enjoy!

David ;-)

[groups.yahoo.com]
Date: April 08, 2002 01:49PM
Posted by: chris
Try this m8

[www.grandprix3.com]

Now that's how to setup a car properly.

If you don't have this much time, download a setup, and tweak it to how you want it.

As David says, its ALL about setup.

Chris J
Date: April 08, 2002 02:05PM
Posted by: _Alex_
but enough of the falttery!

No, really, we don't mind, you can carry on...

*blushes*

:)

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: April 08, 2002 02:14PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Didnt read the rest of the thread :$, but just popped in to say welcome to the forum :D

Date: April 08, 2002 02:15PM
-Alex- wrote:
>
> but enough of the falttery!
>
> No, really, we don't mind, you can carry on...
>
> *blushes*
>
> :)

Cute :)
Date: April 09, 2002 01:59AM
Posted by: Rupert
Hello Mr East, maybe you should meet Mr West. All we need are some Mr Norths and Mr Souths and we are set. And if they have children, then you know what will happen....................maybe Vader can come up with something.

To answer your question, it takes lots of practice. You can download other people's setups, but they might not suit you, so you may have to adjust to your personal driving preference.

Eric Côté has a guide for car setup for GP2. Dont fear, not all that much has changed, and it may help you understand your car better.

Now that link..........

[www.sportplanet.com]

Happy Racing

Ozzy
Date: April 09, 2002 02:41AM
I have tried other peoples setups, but i find that alot of them use a very tall 1st gear (up to 32/33 in some setups) but i find that with a 1st gear as tall as this it makes it very difficult to slow down for the very slow corners. And it also sends the balance of the car into understeer in the mid-corner, this is something that i don't like in a set-up as it doesn't suit my way of driving (and there may be the problem?) : (

I tried a set-up like this around imola last night and i was about 1.5 seconds faster after changing ratios alot, i think i chaged 1st from 32 to 22, and then made the others to suit.

My setup skills are pretty good, i know what does what and how one change will affect other aspects of the setup, and i can get myself a really good balance.... i think that when all is said and done... practice, practice, practice, when i stopped last night i was getting faster but i managed a 1m26.0XX, and it was't the most neat and tidy of laps, so i think that with the set-up i stopped with there is about 3/4 tenths left, But after some more changes i think that a 1m25.2XX/25.3XX would be about my limit for the moment.

I will see what i can do!

oh yeah... thanks for your help and your welcomes : )

Date: April 09, 2002 03:18AM
Posted by: chris
Andy,

This may not work, but I was just driving Interlagos, and I had 8 on the back wing and 16 on the front.

That gives loads of grip for the infield, but good speed too. BTW when you find a good setup, just copy it into USA gp setup too, cos the circuits have basically the same attributes!

Chris J
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy