tips for interlagos.

Posted by Charlie 
tips for interlagos.
Date: March 29, 2002 02:50PM
Posted by: Charlie
hi as anyone got any usefull driving techniques for the middle sector of the track. i have played endlessly around with the car setup and just to test it wasnt the car setup i donwloaded a fast setup and still i was slow in the middle sector.. so i went back to my setup up and put it down to driving technique that i needed to improve..

I am running on Ace with all driver aids off except for steering help and gears.

i am quick in the first sector usually less than 0.050 within pole time sometimes just under.. but i loose about 6 tenths (0.600 s) in the second sector and then only loose about (0.100) tenth in the last sector. i am not going for pole or anything this is my first time playing on ace and really enjoying the challenge. but a top 5 pos would be nice. but i really am stuck with this middle sector. its the long right hander that then leads into the s bends that i am stuck on are there any usefull driving tips anyone has for the middle sector.. so far best time i have managed is a 1.15.700 and pole time was 1.14.900 something so i am about 9 tenths off the pace..

Re: tips for interlagos.
Date: March 29, 2002 03:21PM
Posted by: genesis
You mean the double right hander?? You gotta brake really late into the first one, down to 2nd gear, and then as soon as you're in 2nd accelerate and you'll have taken the perfect line. For the bends always overshoot the apex so you can get good acceleration on the outside of the bend. Trust me this works. ;-)

Cai
Date: March 29, 2002 03:56PM
Posted by: Morbid
I do almost the same. This is based on the graphics in the original GP3-2000.

Break really late, at about 50 meters from the corner, and don't break 100% cause that will make your nose drive and overload the front tyres, and you will get heavy understeer or snap spin. Break something like 40% strength and use the gears to do the rest of the breaking, dropping into the low revs in 3rd around 180kph. Then hit the throttle but don't accelerate just yet, just hold the speed until you are close the exit-point, then gradually squeeze the throttle until you hit the apex of the second turn, at full throttle gearing up into 4th. The hard part is having the nerve to break really late and light at the entry, and accelerating at the right time, so you don't get understeer. A good rule of thumb would be to begin to accelerate the split second you think that chassis has regained its balance from the turn in. Or as Cai puts it:

"For the bends always overshoot the apex so you can get good acceleration on the outside of the bend. I think we mean the same thing here."

Then comes the brake zone, and that is just as tricky. Brake hard, wheel dead center to avoid locking the right front. Let go and then funnel the brakes the rest of the way and keep it going while you turn in, hitting the apex at about 115 kph and be careful not to slide to much to the left. A short burst to 140 kph, followed by a slight brake to 115 again and turn in while you hold the accelerator to keep up the speed. Remember to hug that kerb! As you approach the kerb at the exit you should be at around 130, floor it and aim for the beginning edge of the billboards.

Turn right real fast as the track turns in , and let it slide to the left side as close to the grass as you can come. It is all to easy to spin if you are in the middle or the right side of the tarmac. You end in the mid 3rd gear, but if your 3rd is 8 notches or longer, it can't cope with the uphill gradiant. Make sure it is short enough for good acceleration. Break at the end of the marshal entry gate, about the same way as you did with the other righthander, but remember once again to keep you wheel total straight or you will lock your right front. Turn in at about 95 and drop to 80 kph as you hit the apex at the right hand kerb, and slowly increase throttle to you hit the exit point at the left side kerb.

At the exit point aim again at the beginning edge of the billboards, and floor it once more (might get a slight bit of wheelspin here, and if you are to slow at the exit you will spin when you floor it), entering the left hander at 180 kph, hold it there for a slight sec (or if your setup allows it, take the corner flat out) and floor it again, as you exit just at the edge of the tarmac to the right. Keep it going hitting top 4th (doesn't pay to gear up here), and break hard @ 60 meters before the corner, and funnel the rest of the way thru so you hit the apex at about 130 kph, and then floor it again. If your setup is like mine your rear will go lose and you will slide all the way to the kerb on the other side. As you hit the kerb shift to 2nd and the reduced torque will let your rears pick up traction once again and you will be point straight down the track for a clear run uphill.

Again the trick in the final corner is:

"For the bends always overshoot the apex so you can get good acceleration on the outside of the bend. I think we mean the same thing here."

Thats the way I took it tonight when I did a 1.15.593 on Semi-Pro with default physics and the default 810 bhp, no aids. Mind you that is without the added boost difference to the engine from Semi-Pro to Ace, so you should be able to do it even faster.

Btw, what spring, ARB and wing settings are you running?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: March 30, 2002 02:07PM
cheers for the help yeah that works a lot that trick with the apex does it apply to all bends?

it was the double right hander i was stuck on but doing what you said helped me gain about 4 tenths. i qualified 4th in the end. thanks guys, you may have just won me a podium position and like schumi im on the hard tyres. havent decided my strategy yet but aimiing togofor a 1 stopper with a long first stint

Date: March 30, 2002 02:37PM
I qualified over second in front of schumi. I am on pole. But I lost about three tenths in the final run. I am on soft tyres, so that means an extra pit stop. Good luck. I sure hope that I won't need it, and raw skill will give me the win.

Date: March 30, 2002 02:56PM
what time did you get in the end?

Date: March 30, 2002 02:57PM
for pole i mean

Date: March 30, 2002 03:11PM
1m 15.851s on Semi-pro. But I know for sure that I could have done a 1.15.4xx. I should have done that, then I could have gunned for Pro soon. What time did you get?

Date: March 30, 2002 03:31PM
sorry forget what i said earlier i got my times mixed up i didnt qualify 4th i qualified 7th

in the end i got a 1.15.613 and took 7 place, morid you should try ace level a 1.15.400 would have put you in possibly 6 place i know its not as fun as pole but on ace its a lot more challenging running in the mid field.

this is me studying the telemetry just after i put yours and cai's tricks to the middle sector a 1.15.700 which i was really pleased with only got me into p 11 lol but look how close the field is. the session was really great fun ecspecially because it was so close and a tenth in the end could make the difference between p11 and p7 ;) cant wait for the race tommorow.

if pic doesnt work try this link,

[www.network54.com]

Date: March 30, 2002 03:41PM
Posted by: Vader
Why does your pic look as if you are standing in /starting out of the garage?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 30, 2002 03:52PM
just that on my lap before my in lap i reversed into my pit spot i've been practising it on brazil and with steering help off you can reverse at an angle so you get jacked up in a weired position. but its not in the garage just facing at a right angle to it.

Date: March 30, 2002 04:15PM
What have you set the performances to since the field is so tight. Please tell...

Date: March 30, 2002 04:23PM
i have no idea. how can i find out. i just use the settings that comes with gpxpatch 2.20 but im not even sure that comes with peformance settings.

Date: March 30, 2002 04:27PM
You using an emac set? You must have installed a carset a some point in time...

Date: March 31, 2002 03:26AM
Its the carset that comes with gpxpatch 2.20- ralph hummerichs.

Date: April 02, 2002 09:11AM
Posted by: jkronin
$@%^@$%^ , 1:15.xxx??

i got a 16:9xx BUT!

1. I drive GP3 1.13 (Not Gp3 2000, with better bhp and traction)
2. I drive with keyboard.
3. No Gpx patch or sh1t, thus i guaruntee no interference, just stock standard.

I think we guys should stipulate what used to get times
Date: April 02, 2002 09:18AM
Posted by: genesis
With the 2002 carset (the Dutch one I think it is) I can easily clock a 1:12.5xx.

Cai
Date: April 02, 2002 09:34AM
A 1.12.5xx? I am sorry if I sound distrusting, but I would like to see a screenshot of you crossing the finish line on a lap like that.

Date: April 03, 2002 04:01AM
Posted by: W1lliams
I've seen the screenshot, you can go here if you like to see, may need to register.

[groups.yahoo.com]

My best with GP3 2000 was a 1m 16 or something, with the 2k2 set I set 1m 13.9xx straight out of the box, 1m 12.xxx is definitely possible.
But I understand your scepticism!

David ;-)

[groups.yahoo.com]
Date: April 03, 2002 05:36AM
Posted by: Glory_G
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy