Problems to install GP3

Posted by Victor 
Problems to install GP3
Date: March 27, 2002 07:32PM
Posted by: Victor
Hi Everybody,
I am facing a quite bizarre problem to install GP3. When I insert the GP3 CD, pops up a screen with the options "Uninstall Direct X" - "Uninstall GP3"-"Play"-"Quit". It doesn't give me the option to install the game ("Install GP3";)!
So, I choose "Uninstall GP3" and appears a message that all components were successfully removed, but it doesn't work, because next time I insert the CD the same options appear. As an additional information, I aborted the installation once. I have Windows XP Pro, Athlon XP 1700 and a Geforce MX 400.
Could you please help me with this?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Victor/from Brazil
Re: Problems to install GP3
Date: March 27, 2002 07:41PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
G'day all..

Perhaps there's still remnants somewhere that the uninstall didnt get. Try manually searching for gp3 files (eg a Microprose folder) and deleting them. Someone will be able to tell u how to use RegEdit to wipe ur comp clean of it but I don't like touching that.

Also, I installed Gp3 yesterday, after about 4 months without it on my comp. The options were the ones you described, so i clicked uninstall. It then proceeded to install the game. Perculiar!

Date: March 27, 2002 07:43PM
Posted by: Vader
AHA!!! You say you ahve aborted the installation once! There we have the reason for your games undue behaviour.
You should have a look at your control panel (go to software) and check if there are any options to "uninstall" Gp3. If not scan your harddrive for a GP3 directory. It might be that it a temporary folder and/or files wasn't deleted afte you aborted the installation.

also check [www.grandprix3.com] (thx for the info SEARCHBUTTON-MAN)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 27, 2002 07:52PM
Hi Mika,
Thanks a lot for your help!!
I already deleted the remaining Microprose folder, but it didn't work.
I guess I'll have to use another uninstaller software.I will let you know if it works.
Regards,
Victor Bastos
Date: March 27, 2002 07:57PM
Hi Vader,
Thank you for the hint.
GP3 remains in the list of programs to be removed in Control Panel, no matter how many times I ask for the removal. I deleted the remaining Microprose folder, but nothing happened. I agree with you, it's not a good idea mess up with the registers. I guess I'll try to use another uninstaller software. What do you think?
Thanks again!!
Date: March 27, 2002 09:32PM
Posted by: Morbid
I am pretty sure that the installation check is looking in your registry, and it can't delete the entries there, because it has already deleted the uninstall info.

If you are afraid of messing up your registry (can't blame ya), try using Regcleaner. Let it do a scan of your registry, and it will present you all the redundant registry entries you have. Then all you got to do is click delete.

That should do the trick, and the util shouldn't be that hard to find.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy