Weird Brake Pedal Problem

Posted by Glyn 
Weird Brake Pedal Problem
Date: March 26, 2002 01:54PM
Posted by: Glyn
For some very strange and unknown reason my brake pedal has gone all gay in GP3 2000.

Before I start, my spec is:

P4 1.5 GHz
512 MB RDRAM
GeForce 3 Ti500
Windows XP
Microsoft FF Wheel (not USB)

Right....when I installed Win XP it worked fine, no probs what so ever. Then at Christmas I got my GF3. GP3 didn't like that, and although showing a processor occup. of 40% it was really jerky, unplayable. So, I reinstalled GP3 2000 thinking it didn't like my video card change. I loaded the game, set everything up again, calabrated my wheel, everything worked fine (this is the same wheel profile I had before I reinstalled it). Entered a race, everything worked fine, came to a corner and pressed the brake...NOTHING! Nothing was happening. Slightly puzzled I went back into options, the calibrate thing said the brake pedal was working fine, but still not ingame. I have tried downloading profiles, making my own, using the preset ones and the same thing happens everytime, even on the profile that used to work!

Has anybody pleeeeease got any suggestions to this problem? Otherwise my life will be GP3 less :-(

Thanks a bunch in advance!

P.S. My wheel works fine is every other racing game I own - and thats quite a few :)

Re: Weird Brake Pedal Problem
Date: March 26, 2002 03:45PM
Posted by: Morbid
Right, here we go.

1) Make sure that you have installed the ms Sidewinder configuration software that came on the CD that was in the Controller package. Do NOT use the software on the microsoft homepage. It is outdated and does not support USB devices. I guess that the USB thingie won't be much of a problem for you, but still - why use outdated software?

2) Make sure that your wheel is set to ID 1 within the Sidewinder Software (gaming options --> controller IDs). GP3 gets annoyed when controllers are set to other ID settings. At the same screen make sure that "Poll with interrupts" is unchecked.

3) Go to gaming options --> controllers --> click properties --> select settings tab. Make sure that the pedals are set to separate pedal mode.

4) Test if the brake pedal works within the Sidewinder Software (gaming options --> controllers --> properties --> test). Just depress the accelerator, and when you have some speed, depress the brake and see if someting happens. If it works, then next change will be in GP3.

5) Now you need to set your brake pedal to Controller A (IRZ) within GP3s controller configuration options. It is most likely that this is the setting you forgot. Also make sure that the brakes are set to "analogue mode".

6) Then calibrate, and play the game.

If the brakes still does not work, please post again.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: March 28, 2002 01:12PM
I would just like to say thanks a lot for your indepth post Morbid. Its much appreciated.

First things first. Because i'm using Windows XP it installs the latest SideWinder drivers as default, so I will be always using the latest drivers as there are no more on the website. I do have the software installed still from before I upgraded to Windows XP, but that no longer works because it doesn't like XP. With that a bit of a problem I wasn't holding out too much hope for this working.

Anyway, I got to point 5 and loaded GP3, without changing any options in Windows. I looked in controller config, and although it took me about half an hour of messing around to get that config window up for my brake pedal, I managed to tell GP3 to read the IRZ axis (it turned out you have to tell GP3 to use the 'Z' key for the brake, and then select your controller so what window appears). I then recalibrated, loaded the game and bingo! I had brakes! That was until I had brake failure on lap 4. Me and brakes don't like each other it seems :)

So, I would really like you for your help, as I can now enjoy many more GP3 hours :) Cheers!

I think the problem occured because of my upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP. Windows ME reads the steering in through the X axis (- value for left, + value for right) and the pedals through the Y axis (- valid for brake, + value for accelerate). Windows XP however used IRZ for the brake pedal for some strange reason. It seems that GP3 was still reading the brake pedal through the Y axis after my upgrade, but reinstalling GP3 got it all confused. The calibration window was detecting the brake pedal through the Y axis, but the game was going through the IRZ axis. Weird.

I think thats whats going on anyway, but I cant be sure.

Once again, thanks a lot for your help Morbid!!!

Date: March 28, 2002 04:47PM
Your welcome. And btw, I agree: the moon IS made of cheese!

Date: March 28, 2002 05:08PM
Posted by: Vader
This probably means you can't stand the moon?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 29, 2002 10:20AM
Strange this....I use that siggy in all my emails and on all forums, and its only from this forum people have made comments about it. I think its cos ya all down to earth :)

Date: March 29, 2002 09:48PM
Posted by: teamhd
OK how did you get this IRZ axis up. I've also got the same problem but I can't resolve it. Can you give me a detailed run down on what you did to get this going.

Thanks
Date: March 30, 2002 04:19AM
Posted by: _Alex_
Your welcome. And btw, I agree: the moon IS made of cheese!

Wouldn't it have gone mouldy by now? Perhaps it's Stilton?

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 30, 2002 05:34AM
Garry Alchin are you using the original GP3? And if so have you patched it to 1.13? Or are you using GP3-2000? Anyway, click "Brake Device" in the setup screen and the IRZ axis should be available.

Date: March 30, 2002 06:16AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Are you driving a 95 Williams? Hill had problems with the brakes in that too :P

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 30, 2002 06:19AM
How can it get mouldy if it is in a vacuum? Would be hard for bacteria to start getting the moon mouldy.

Btw, Terry Pratchett once said that by some universal law, every refrigerator, when opened at midnight does only contain an old tomato, a glass of adulterated mayonaise and a piece of mouldy cheese, no matter what is kept in the fridge during daytime.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 30, 2002 06:25AM
Yo Sup

"Btw, Terry Pratchett ......."

argh, no ...........................books...............this is where i turn off!

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 30, 2002 11:00AM
Posted by: Zcott
I remember Coulthard had trouble with the brakes in that Williams as well, he did crash into the pitwall in Australia, and also spun on the warm up lap in Monza....
Date: March 30, 2002 12:22PM
Posted by: Zcott
Speaking of books, I just got through Kafka's "The Trial" and Camus' "The Plague" in the past few weeks. Wonderful books!
Date: March 30, 2002 12:34PM
Okay, these books are considered to be MUST-reads in most intellecual circles. You can hardly get around Kafka (though most ppl won't understand what's behind all that either), these french existentialists like Camus are most certainly not my cup of tea. If it comes to philosophy (and I might say that I have some insight on that field) I rather go for the classic stuff, mostly the idealistic tradition. But raeding is reading and can't do any harm at all and I bow low to everyone who has got so far as to read Kafka and Camus.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 30, 2002 12:37PM
But raeding is reading

So much for Parmenides' Theorem of Identity, A=A. It should have been reading is reading of course.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 30, 2002 01:26PM
Isn't it strange. This topic has changed topics 3 times now :)

Date: March 30, 2002 01:30PM
Posted by: LS.
yeah its known as a vaderism

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: March 30, 2002 01:32PM
Yo Sup

"he (DC) did crash into the pitwall in Australia"

i think it had more to with the trail of oil his car was leaving behind it, rather than the brakes

Date: March 30, 2002 01:35PM
is Vaderism something like Murrayism and will Alex please make a Vader-fanpage as he did it for Murray?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy