GP3-2000

Posted by nidge12345 
GP3-2000
Date: March 19, 2002 08:57AM
Posted by: nidge12345
More of a general Windows question, but involves the love of my life, GP3-2000.

I decided to re-install it after much grief trying to edit it with GPxPatch v 2.20

I used "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel, but it didn't remove the files from my C: drive, despite saying it had, and it still showed up in "Add/Remove Programs". I manually deleted the files (probably not the wisest thing I've ever done), and tried to re-install it, but it only gives me an option to uninstall or play...

Any ideas people??
Re: GP3-2000
Date: March 19, 2002 09:02AM
Posted by: Vader
You could scan your registry for entries like "Grand Prix 3 Season 2000"," "Micropose", "GP3" etc and delete them. BUT BE CAREFUL MESSING AROUND WITH REGISTRY. In any case back up "user.dat" and "system.dat" in your windows directory. Better wait for if someone comes up with a better solution, editing the registry is always the last thing you should think about.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 19, 2002 09:52AM
Don't worry...I'm won't be touching my registry in a hurry - not even with somebody else's 12 foot barge pole!
Date: March 19, 2002 05:29PM
Posted by: ralph
Something similar happened to me with gp3. I had given up hope when I stumbled across a hidden folder that appeared to have been created during the supposed uninstall, confusing the routine. Unfortunately I can't remember what the folder was called or where it was but deleting it did the trick.

Not much help possibly, but you never know.
Date: March 19, 2002 11:18PM
Posted by: Rupert
Deleting it out of your registry would be your best bet, but do be careful. It isnt like a minefield, but if you search for all traces of GP3, Infrogrames Etc, then you should be right. Just be sure you have no other games under those keys, like original GP3 and/or other games from same producers.

Ozzy
Date: March 20, 2002 02:18AM
Posted by: mortal
use a program called the cleaner, it finds and removes redundant registry entries, pretty easy to fimd.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 21, 2002 06:54AM
Mortalwombat

Is this Cleaner program available free over the Web, or do I have to fork out hard-earned reddies?

If there's a link you could give me, I'd be greatful

Cheers!
Date: March 21, 2002 06:56AM
It's free. It might be even found on the cover disc of a good PC mag.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 27, 2002 09:34PM
Posted by: Morbid
If you are afraid of messing up your registry (can't blame ya), try using Regcleaner. Let it do a scan of your registry, and it will present you all the redundant registry entries you have. Then all you got to do is click delete.

That should do the trick, and the util shouldn't be that hard to find.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: March 28, 2002 02:19AM
Morbid

You are a star! Just found the Regcleaner program on the Net and it's free!!

Just a shame I won't be at home over the Easter weekend to GP3-2000 myself to my heart's content.

BTW, that's not a sign for anyone to burgle my house...

Cheers again Morbid!
Date: March 28, 2002 02:27AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

the registry is a place even brave men fear to tread.....

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 28, 2002 02:33AM
Posted by: _Alex_
That should do the trick, and the util shouldn't be that hard to find.

I'm interested in this utility - Morbid do you have it, and does it work well? I've only edited the registry once before and that was scary enough - plus the fact it didn't do what I wanted it to. It's not going to wipe out the whole registry or something is it?

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: March 28, 2002 04:26AM
Alex

Here's where I found the program Morbid is talking about:

[www.webmasterfree.com]

Haven't tried it yet though.

Am still trapped at work, slogging my guts out...
Date: March 28, 2002 06:32AM
Posted by: Morbid
Thanx Nidge. I do aim to please.

Funny you mention it Alex, I actually have (BIG brainfade! You know Homo Stupidicus...) wiped my whole registry with it once. But the sweet thing is, if you have enabled backups of any changes, you can restore it all again!

To be honest though, my registry was making a lot of hickups after that, so I had to reinstall over my old installation. So it is not 100% idiot-proof, but its very close.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: March 28, 2002 06:43AM
This is exactly the tool that mortal and me were talking about. As far as I know it was developed by the same ppl that worked for Microsoft on Windows and later published the Powertoys, so RegClean is something like an inofficial Microsoft tool.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 04, 2002 05:39AM
Posted by: jonah
Nidge,
I'm having exactly the same problems as you. I've tried RegCleaner and found some files lurking in the registry which I deleted, but GP 3 2000 still shows in the 'add/remove programs' box. When I try to install GP 3 2000 from the disc (by clicking on 'install gp3 2000' after inserting the cd), I get a message box saying ' are you sure you want to remove all the files...' etc.
I cannot install it :-(.
There must be something still on my pc somewhere. This is very frustrating!
Did it work for you? Anyone any ideas?
Date: April 04, 2002 05:53AM
Mike,

RegCleaner managed to sort all my problems out, but I can't remember exactly what I did...it was done very early in the morning after a heavy nite before!!

I'll look at the program again tonite to see what I did...hang in there!!
Date: April 04, 2002 05:56AM
Thanks Nidge.....
Date: April 04, 2002 07:01AM
Nidge,
The good news;
I managed to completely remove gp3 2000 from my pc (including from the add/remove progs list) using a program called 'arp2002' which I downloaded off the net.
I've now been able to re-install it.
The bad news;
After installation, I got a message saying 'ERROR- VERSION.DLL file cannot start.Check file to determine problem'. Also, the windows clock had disappeared from the tray???
When I clicked on the GP3 2000 icon on desktop, another message said 'WINMM.DLL cannot start. Check file to determine problem'. Then windows locks up and I have to reboot.
I'm beginning to wonder if all this is worth the hassle - is there much difference between GP3 and GP3 2000, especially after all the updates etc have been added?
I may just stick to GP3.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy