looking for lap times

Posted by ralph 
Re: looking for lap times
Date: March 21, 2002 08:18AM
Posted by: SEARCHBUTTON-MAN
[php-service.de]

I may quote our friend Alex here whio wrote in this thread:

Real F1 traction control systems regulate the data transfer from the throttle to the engine, so slamming your foot down will not result in full throttle if you see what I mean, whereas on gp3, F7 simply stops you spinning when you slam down the pedal, it still puts full throttle on.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
(Matthew 7,7)
Date: March 21, 2002 08:25AM
Posted by: Vader
Ok there you have my idea of traction control.

In simple words:
With real life traction control drivers can just hold down the accelerator pedal, and let the electronics do their job and hence, can concentrate on other parts of their driving.
Try this with F7 on.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 21, 2002 08:26AM
Posted by: nidge12345
Zcott

Completely forgot about that bit on the site! I blame the Lotus next to me...

I laughed for ages when I first read that!

As far as traction control/throttle help goes in GP3, let's just say it's a "form" of Traction Control.

From what I remember Martin Brundle saying during the Spanish GP 2001, Traction Control on modern F1 cars means that the engine can rev at any level, but the electronics cut in on a number of, if not all, the pistons thus reducing power output.

As far as I can see, Throttle Help in GP3 appears to control the throttle level progressively as you exit a slow corner so no wheel spin occurs. I.e. the revs increase slowly as you exit the corner - automated "SQU-EEEEEEEEZING" in other words!

So to conclude my mini-essay (!), Throttle Help in GP3 is a FORM of Traction Control, but not the same application of Traction Control as we see in F1 today.

Can we lock and and go racing now please?
Date: March 21, 2002 08:30AM
Posted by: Zcott
Well, whatever it is, it's off now. I'm getting better at pressing the throttle the point where the just feels like it's about to break away and then either a) easing back a bit, or b) short-shifting up a gear. I do feel a lot quicker, too!
Date: March 21, 2002 08:44AM
Posted by: Rainey
Thats effectively what I said.
Date: March 21, 2002 08:51AM
I'll stick with my opinion because the previous reply's tend to back that up, but of course I respect your opinion Vader, I'm no vehicle expert, the worst that could happen is that I could be WRONG! I hope not....
Date: March 21, 2002 09:00AM
You are talking to an Infernal Demon King, Ruler of Eternal Night, Lord of the Netherworlds. I could - without turning so much as a hair - think of at least 666 things worse than just being WRONG. ;-)

Most ppl have in fact backed up the opinion that you are ´faster with throttle help turned off.

But never mind. Friends?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 21, 2002 01:13PM
Posted by: ralph
Lord of the Netherlands? I thought you were German! Anyhow, I'm with you on this one. Us bearded oldies must stick together!!
Date: March 21, 2002 01:38PM
I distinctively said NETHERWORLDS with Worlds like in ..errr ... worlds and not Netherlands like in Kaaskopp (cheesehead).

--------------
Don't shave!
Be brave!
To the grave!
--------------

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 21, 2002 10:04PM
Yeah mate, friends. :)

I'm gonna have a decent crack at racing without throttle help in a minute, I have driven races before with it off, but I'm close to terrible without it. I tend to drive a few laps nicely then I'll slightly apply too much accell and spin coming out of a corner, or a car will attempt to pass my granny-slow ass exiting a corner and we both end in tears, lol.
Date: March 22, 2002 03:01AM
Posted by: Rupert
I agree totally with Vader, real traction control limits the amount of power to the wheels, but in GP3 it still gives full power, but makes you do it with out any wheelspin.

Ozzy
Date: March 22, 2002 03:49AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Its quicker with it off. Harder the comp to pass cos you get better runs out of the corners. I use a digital contoller, and its still faster.

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: March 22, 2002 06:18AM
Ozzy, thats not true, GP3's Throttle Help does not allow you to go faster, when its turned off and you accellerate the car correctly it is possible to exit corners with more speed than when you have the assist turned on, throttle help balances the throttle for you so that you can push it to full-throttle but the full power will not be applied until the car's wheels can get traction, exactly like real Traction Control, i'm certain.
Date: March 22, 2002 06:25AM
No

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 22, 2002 07:12AM
Vader, after about 45 minutes of Practising on Australia without throttle help (the only helper I had was auto-gears) my best laptime was exactly 1:32.156 and I totally stuffed up the final corner which lost me about half a second. It is definately a lot of fun though, especially with those left-rights, it gives you a certain rush when you feel the wheels start to light up exiting a corner, unfortunately I would never do a race like this cause I would get too frustrated from spinning when I try to push hard.

Currently my best time with throttle help on in Australia is 1:30.635. I think both of these times can be greatly improved on, because I only started playing GP3 again since the start of the new Formula 1 season, and only yesterday started going for hot laps.
Date: March 22, 2002 07:53AM

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 22, 2002 07:54AM
WTF?????
Hey, guys, come on!!! Don't do that again!!!!
What kind of agency are YOU anyway!!??

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: March 22, 2002 07:56AM
Posted by: Xero
lol.... thats funny as 'ell!!! Great stuff! :D
Date: March 22, 2002 08:37AM
Posted by: ralph
I don't want to get too caught up in the debate but doesn't the game itself specifically state that throttle help is designed NOT to be like traction control?
It seems to me that throttle help is a rev limiter whereas traction control is a rev regulator. All I can really say is that since taking throttle help of I'm certainly no slower but I feel much tougher!
However, the reason I started this thread in the first place was to see if I could find a list of lap times from a league or competent racing individual so that I could see how much I need to improve before conquering the world! The season competition page which was suggested is blank.
Date: March 22, 2002 08:53AM
Facing huge difficulties in thoroughly investigating the electronic sofwares that operate the engine managements systems that run Formula 1 cars, the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile has finally decided to authorise traction control systems starting with the next event - this weekend's Grand Prix of Spain.

Traction control makes a return in Formula 1 racing, having been allowed, along with active suspensions and antilock braking, back in 1992 and '93. To tell the truth, it was about time that F1 single seaters come to par with most modern passenger vehicles that are fitted with thousands of electronic gadgets. Traction control eliminates rear wheel spin, therefore providing better traction to the tarmac and better acceleration when exiting the corners. How does the system work? "The rear wheels that power the car can spin easily" says Renault Sport's Denis Chevrier. "And wheel spin can be caused in many ways: there may suddenly be too much power coming from the engine, the track may be dirty and slippery, the coefficient of adherence of the tyre may be suddenly exceeded, it may be raining or maybe the driver is pressing too hard on the throttle. Without traction control, the role of the driver is to press correctly on the accelerator while minimizing wheel spin."

Malcolm Oastler (on right) with Greg Pollock.

According to Renault engineers, an F1 tyre works best under a very slight wheel spin. If there's too much wheel spin, the tyres lose traction and acceleration is greatly reduced. Traction control plays a crucial role in assuring constant acceleration when coming out of the corners. "Wheel speed sensors are attached to the four wheels of the car" says Chevrier. "At any moment, the computer knows the exact speed of the car from the front wheels sensors. By comparing the speed of the front wheels to that of the rear wheels, the computer is able to detect the slightest wheel spin. Wheel spin occurs when the speed of the rear wheels exceeds by a certain value that of the front wheels. We do track testing and set the traction control to come into action when the wheel speed difference reaches 103%. Then, we change that value to 102%, and then to 101%. We then compare those changes to the differences in lap times and see what is most efficient."

The engineers says that F1 drivers are very good

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy