OT: F1 Atmosphere

Posted by downforce 
Re: OT: F1 Atmosphere
Date: February 09, 2002 04:53PM
Posted by: andrew_S
hey ellis your lucky to live by knockhill, thats a beautifull place and its a great track, ive visited many times as i have family just the south side of the forth yes its cold, windy and usually wet at knockhill but its sure is a wonderfull track!
Date: February 09, 2002 04:58PM
Posted by: Zcott
I loving all the action on this forum! It's *much* better than the other "breakaway" one with the popups.

But yes, I would love to live near a circuit! The closest I've gotten is in the grandstand at an F1 race. Hungary '97 and Silverstone '92 were my two races. I'm hoping to get out to Albert Park next year for the race, though ;-)

Date: February 10, 2002 05:05AM
Posted by: Ellis
Yo Sup

Yeah Knockhill is nice but it isnt a 'real' track. The lap record is held by a souped up go-kart and an F1 car couldltn beat it. This is cos the car kept bottoming out in dufferes dip (turns 1,2,3) and then when it came to the chicnae it was airborne and bounced through the gravel, the next corner has such a gradient, then such a crest that the F1 cars front end came off the ground. Then the car bottomed out at the last corner again.

Yeah the track is kool but on this track a go-kart can beat an F1 car. Note: The F1 car was a 1991 (i think 1991) Footwork. They really need to do something with the track. The lap record is under 40 seconds. Ok, they can keep the existing track but wouldnt it be nice to have a track that proper race cars can race on? Like Silverstone with its 40odd versions of the track, knockhill should have that!! They need a better track, its to thin, to short.

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 10, 2002 11:37PM
Posted by: Ozzy_Eagle
Thanks for the info Nick. Dunno if the parents will let me romp down to Phillip Island, tho. You think it might be all good living near the track, but it makes it a bastart getting along StKilda Road to school on the trams, holdups galore. There are still protesters who have been camped there since 1996, freaky. But I cant wait, should be a ripper of a race.

Ozzy

Date: February 11, 2002 06:33AM
Posted by: bazza
Ellis, have you ever been round the Knochill track?
I've not yet but my wee cousin goes to track days with all of his older pals in their bammed up motors. Despite that it sounds a laugh, and he always comes back with stories of people writing off their cars. Not just any old cars though, brand new porsches, ferraris and bmw's have all been crashed while he was there.
Sounds like a good day out

Bazza

Date: February 11, 2002 09:20AM
Posted by: Habi
You guys are so lucky. I live in Slovenia, there's no tracks here. i must go to Austria or Hungary or Italy if i want to see F1 :';(

Date: February 11, 2002 02:17PM
Yo Sup

"Ellis, have you ever been round the Knochill track?"

Yeah in the passenger seat of an MGF. Ok, its not the worlds fastest car but its good for 120mph down the stight, the chicane at the back is......fun? Well scary, but again i think Knockhill was designed for a laugh, not for serious racing, you get that imprssion going around it

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 11, 2002 05:21PM
ellis dont talk about that track like that! you will find that apart from its lack of facilities knockhill is as much a racing track as any other in the country! its fantastic

btw sorry about not sending you the track guys ive been pressed for time these last few weeks, i'll get it too you as soon as i finnish building me ford focus :D
Date: February 11, 2002 11:27PM
Posted by: TeamFerrari
I don't know how many avid readers of the forum live in Adelaide, but you can pretty much drive on most of the old GP circuit any day of the week.

It still gives me a shiver when I'm either walking by or driving on the exact spot(s) where Nigel Mansell had his tyre blow-out, where M Schumacher tried to knock out Damon Hill for the championship, or where Mika Hakkinen crashed and nearly died. Damn, I miss those days!
Date: February 12, 2002 03:12AM
Posted by: _Alex_
You're lucky being able to do that TeamFerrari. I think it's possible to access pretty much any part of a GP street circuit when a GP isn't imminent. There are tracks like Monaco, Adelaide [ex], Melbourne, and some of Spa - that is one place I have to visit, just to drive up Eau Rouge! That's what's so good about F1 - I mean, you can't just stroll down to your local football stadium and walk in can you?

HISTORIC BTCC VIDEOS
Date: February 12, 2002 04:23PM
Posted by: dave
See,

I told you it still affects us Adelaideans :(
Date: February 12, 2002 09:22PM
Posted by: TeamFerrari
Dave,

you know what I'm on about....come November back in the late 80s/early 90s, the spectacle, the colour, the glamour, the excitement, the beautiful girls, the street parties and Murray Walker, all add up to one hell of a good racing weekend.

The Clipsal 500 is all right, but it's no replacement for the F1 circus.

Stupid Victorians taking our grand prix - not bloody fair!

If anyone's interested, I'm trying to organise a protest rally, where, when the current Melbourne contract runs out, the Australian Grand Prix would be held in Adelaide every other year...say 2005, 2007, 2009, etc. That way, we Adelaideans still get our motor racing and the Victorians have theirs as well.
Date: February 12, 2002 10:52PM
Posted by: dave
Loyal subject of South Australia that I am I'm afraid that the GP is gone forever. Except for on my PC where frequently its fired up and the sound of the F1 car sings again.
Date: February 13, 2002 01:25AM
Posted by: SkAiFeY
well at least adelaide has something!!(Clipsal 500) unlike Perth over here!! i have 1 event to go to a yr.. and there rn't even any crashes bearly! - the V8 Supercars at Barbagallo Raceway.
Date: February 13, 2002 01:55AM
Posted by: Ozzy_Eagle
Barbagallo is in trouble and might lose its round. It only just got a fixture this year after the traffic problems last year, it is an old circuit and the facilities need to be updated.
But hey Skaifey, you have Rally Australia!

Ozzy

Date: February 13, 2002 09:31AM
what about the rally! thats surly better than the rest :D oh except the GP!
Date: February 13, 2002 12:20PM
Yo Sup

"ellis dont talk about that track like that! you will find that apart from its lack of facilities knockhill is as much a racing track as any other in the country! its fantastic"

Oh, dont get me wrong, i like the track, but its not been greatly designed has it? I personally like the layout but its never ever going to hold anything big cos its too bumpy, that chicane round the back, Touring Cars become air-born over it, can you imagine what anything faster would do?

I like it, its fun to drive but its too thin, too short, too bumpy and the facilities arent good enough to hold anything better than 1 BTCC (or whatever it is now) race per year, which is ashame cos Scotland deserves one, we all cram into Knockhill in the rain once a year to watch touring cars!

Date: February 13, 2002 12:36PM
Posted by: Chris Burkitt
I think scotland needs a track, i mean Wales has the rally, ireland has modello park (and probably many more) and Scotland has two drivers in this years world championships, both experienced, yet no decent[/d] circuit. How about stop investing in rugby and start on a new F1 track. At least the scottish have a chance of winning the championship in that :D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy