Controller Woes!

Posted by reddwarf 
Controller Woes!
Date: October 11, 2007 12:09PM
Posted by: reddwarf
I'm attempting to set up my controller so I can use the analog sticks for steering/brake/throttle control, which I think I've done right, and saved the results to a user set. The problem is I cant access any of the in-car menus now so i cant actually leave the pits alter car set up etc! How do you get round this? The controller has a seperate profiler if that helps although i have tried several different buttons without success. It works fine set up to replicate the keyboard commands but this isnt very controllable. HELP!
Re: Controller Woes!
Date: October 11, 2007 09:42PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
i have a logitec controller (similar layout to ps2 controller) and have it set so left analogue stick controls steering, and right stick controls throttle and brake. shoulder buttons ( imagine L1 L2 R1 R2 ) are set as: L2 change gear down R2: change gear up. in game, waiting to qualify etc... steering and throttle sticks move the highlighter around the options, and pressing one of the gear buttons will select that option, and once in to car-setup for example it goes back to using the mouse to change any options.

hope that helps.

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Date: October 13, 2007 06:51PM
I think my controller is very similiar only its some rubbish thing from pc world! Your advice was spot on - i've got the same set up (eventually) for some reason the in game set up didnt recognize buttons 1-4, so i had no gear control- which isnt handy for getting your car back out of the wall which i do frequently! howver problem fixed-thanks again! btw how do you have the steering assist and sensitivity set up? Even more off topic - if you are trying to run a HW upgrade on software mode having changed it all over to software mode would you get a black screen when starting gpx or could these be dud season packages? the only one i've got to work is 1 from 1987, which is cool cos i can remember watching all the guys in it but i have 2 2007 packages which are complete in gpx menu but both just go to a black screen of death when i start em
Also appologies for double post-couldnt work out how to remove it!
Date: October 13, 2007 07:07PM
no worries well this is how the sensitivity is set-up on mine but i don't think i've actually changed it, which is probably why when i take steering and throttle assists off it's a little wild.

As far as running HW and SW modes i've always run in HW mode so not entirely sure what you mean... if you have the game set up to run in HW mode then if you run a HW upgrade or season(?) then it should run without any probs.

Although in theory even if you have your game set to run as software mode, it should still work, it will just reduce the graphics quality. I think?

I always get a black screen when firing GPXdata up because i use vista so it asks permission to run it, but mine works ok.

I hope that helps if not hopefully somone else may hold the answer.

Steve McQueen.
Date: October 13, 2007 07:14PM
Actually just thought does it run ok without any variations? you may have to put the original settings back in and retrace your steps when you edit or change anything to find out where the problem starts. could possibly be a dud download, it's all trial and error.

i'm running GP3 V.1.13 with no cd patch, GP3Edit to manage all my settings and of course GPXdata 3.91 for everything else. and i have no problems swapping between seasons or individual settings like lids cars etc...

Steve McQueen.
Date: October 13, 2007 10:30PM
I,m running all those patches too- the 87 pack works fine(which is from this site) I have to run in sw due to not having a graphics card in my pc at moment, so i think i have to use 'generate software' on all the cars etc in order to get it to go, actually not sure now-cant remember doing that with 87 pack......pity it doesnt go cos it looks quite good, proper honda livery etc whereas other one has black preseason honda. I did try doing my own using the car and helmets etc from this site but i have to admit not really understanding the process and couldnt get all the info downloaded anyway as many of the files come up as corrupt unreadable or damaged. It did run ok unpatched until i accidentally overwrote the original 98 pack..oops
RE your settings mine are run at higher percentages to try and calm it down with the lock on full(just for monaco!)
Date: October 14, 2007 10:39AM
Posted by: harjinator
hmm, using the generate software function shouldn't cause a problem... i'll investigate later (i use hardware mode (average PO 9%!) but i know about software mode-had to use it for years!)

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: October 14, 2007 02:51PM
Posted by: pacerboy
harjinator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hmm, using the generate software function
> shouldn't cause a problem... i'll investigate
> later (i use hardware mode (average PO 9%!) but i
> know about software mode-had to use it for years!)

How do you get hardware mode and a PO of 9%?
Date: October 14, 2007 07:34PM
Overkill machine: Core2Duo, Radeon X1950, 2 gig RAM, P35 chipset etc etc. it does increase at times, but not had it over about 90% for a good while... it is at top res and framerate too. think i do have the reduce texture detail option checked, but that's just for the back of the grid at belgium in the rain where it used to nudge me above the magic 100... it's a bizarre machine :S

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: October 15, 2007 09:21AM
Actually now its developed a new problem, the 07 updates now work but are prone to freezing mid game(while in-car) for upto 20 secs at atime before playing normally again. Very odd cos the orig game and the 87 season pack dont do this, just the 07 stuff, cos i thought it was just the pc overworking the processor and hanging.
Date: October 15, 2007 01:19PM
u haven't installed a different nvidia driver have you? sounds like the ol' nvidia bug...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: October 15, 2007 02:13PM
I dont think so - my machine only has integrated graphics at moment not a seperate graphics card (it defo needs one though!) which as far is i know doesnt have any nvidia bits. If it is a driver issue would it not afffect all of the patches?
Date: October 15, 2007 06:42PM
that's true... very very strange then :S

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy