GP3 edit - a ridiculous question

Posted by abdelkader 
GP3 edit - a ridiculous question
Date: June 12, 2007 08:07PM
Posted by: abdelkader
Hi!

I have been using GP3 edit ever since I remember but there's one thing I am not sure of...

As far as 'Performance'is concerned, everything is clear - the higher performance setting, the better driver it is.

My main question is: What does actually 'Ability range' stand for? Of course, as its name says - abilities of a driver (I suppose but I am not sure).

What does increasing and decreasing this value change in a driver's performance on a racetrack?

Obviously, I tried changing this value many times in order to compare it, but I don't see much difference.

Re: GP3 edit - a ridiculous question
Date: June 12, 2007 09:26PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
The "ability range" I think is basically applied from anywhere between 0 and that number to + or - the "performance". That's how I understand it. Somebody's free to correct me though. ;-)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: June 12, 2007 10:09PM
Posted by: Jackal
Well, in general, the range is just that - a range. If you'd put every drivers range to 0, you'd get exactly the same result in every training session unless things like traffic, failures or weather occur. The range means how much a driver's performance will vary over several sessions, the greater the range value, the more inconsistent the performance will be.

Turkey Machine may be right in the way it works, I don't know that tbh.
Date: June 12, 2007 11:15PM
Posted by: abdelkader
I also noticed (but I may be mistaken) that the smaller 'ability range' setting , the more agressive driving style a driver represents.

When I set my 'ability range' to 90, I noticed that my driver would brake sooner before taking a corner...also accelerating when leaving corners and making for long straights was slower.

When I set 'ability range' to 62 , I saw a noticeable difference...my driver would brake later(which, on wet surface, sometimes resulted in leaving the track ) and his acceleration was much more efficient as he would step on it even before leaving a corner, so I was able to get much better results on tracks like Hungaroring or Monte Carlo

@Jackal
Your explanation seems to be quite sensible. Now all the pieces of this jigsaw start to make sense to me :)

Date: June 13, 2007 08:48PM
Posted by: Brianf666
Alright. Let's get this one nailed. GP3Edit's Performance value is directly concerned with grip. It has an effect per car on the grip levels used and therefore gives an impression of the skill level of a driver. Higher values will tend to mean the driver can pull off daring passes and more often get the perfect line. I once set a certain Mr Raikonnen to 164000 instead of 16400. He managed to get round A1 ring in 47 seconds.
The ability range is a simple variable added to the performance as a random value plus or minus to the performance figure. The actual value used is decided during the start of a race by the game. There are many other factors that also influence the performance of the CC cars but I have yet to find a way of creating the sort of consistency we see in the real thing.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Date: June 14, 2007 07:54PM
Posted by: Northern-one
I realised that more ability range means less predictable results. Also, I "think" that a higher value means more mistakes.
Date: June 15, 2007 10:16PM
Posted by: Brianf666
It can do, as it is applied plus or minus the basic performance figure. The Ability Ranges I use are between 15 and 25 so I don't notice a lot more mistakes creeping in as a random. What a pity it is that we can't get some 'attitude' into the drivers. Last week we saw Alonso making silly errors trying to keep pace with his team-mate. In the past MS showed on many occasions his remarkable skill was compromised if he was put under a lot of pressure by a following car or even (JPM Imola some year) from a guy in front showing skill at fending him off.

Nico bites yer tyres!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy