Cockpit editing - painting

Posted by abdelkader 
Cockpit editing - painting
Date: March 21, 2007 07:14PM
Posted by: abdelkader
Hello!

As you know (or not) I run my game in software mode.

I noticed that hardware mode supports many more options as it comes to painting cockpits. For example, painting mirrors with different colours. It is possible to have let's say a blue cockpit but white mirrors.

I wonder if it's possible in software as well. As far as my painting experience is concerned, I noticed that a software mode cockpit is allowed to possess one main colour for all (the cockpit layout and its mirrors).

As a whole red cockpit looks good along with Ferrari, it surely doesn't with BMW Sauber where the cockpit is mainly white but mirrors are dark blue.

So, is it possible to edit a software mode cockpit .bmp to make it have more colours, and to make its mirrors to be of different colour?

Re: Cockpit editing - painting
Date: March 21, 2007 07:29PM
Posted by: Looping Murdock
You can choose to run the game in HW mode or it could be just one specification ??
Date: March 21, 2007 08:41PM
I can't run it in HW as it crashes very often. I can make at most 2 laps (when there's a small pile-up of cars, or rain or another 'action' on the screen - I see my Windows desktop and playing GP3 is out of question). That's why I HAVE TO (unwillingly as hell) play in SW.

Date: March 23, 2007 11:37PM
How can you choose to run on HW mode ??
Date: March 24, 2007 07:12PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
go to options menu and go in to the graphics. i think it's on the right hand side and it says graphic card (i think) if you are running Software mode (SW) it will say Software 3D but you can usually change it to use the graphic card if you have one.

think thats right anyway?

@ abdelkader to answer your question i'm sure you're aware that not every colour works in software mode so it might work or it might not. the only way to find out for sure is trial and error. if you use GP3EDIt go to cockpits in the options, select the team you wish to modify and save it. the easiest way to test it would be to open the file with paint and see if you can change the bottom half of the cockpit to the colour you desire than try loading it into the game.

hope that helps.

ATB

Bazza

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Date: March 24, 2007 09:28PM
bazza_racer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> @ abdelkader to answer your question i'm sure
> you're aware that not every colour works in
> software mode so it might work or it might not.
> the only way to find out for sure is trial and
> error. if you use GP3EDIt go to cockpits in the
> options, select the team you wish to modify and
> save it. the easiest way to test it would be to
> open the file with paint and see if you can change
> the bottom half of the cockpit to the colour you
> desire than try loading it into the game.
>
> hope that helps.
>
>
> ATB
>
> Bazza

Well... I know how to edit colours in cockpit using MS Paint. I know which part of a .bmp is responsible for what feature of a car. I think that we have just encountered a tiny misunderstanding :)

I will give you an example of what my problem is like:

-I edit a BMW Sauber 2007 software cockpit... (I know that the front of the cockpit is white, mirrors are dark blue, but the framework which is located next to a driver's head is white again)

I want to make it look like that in software mode. In order to edit this I open GP3Edit, go to 'Cockpits' and to 'Software', I save a bitmap (the bottom of which is 'cut off';).

When I open the bitmap with paint, I paint the front of the cockpit white but the rest of the bitmap is painted dark blue. I load the edited bitmap to the game.
I see that my car has a white frontal part(just as I wanted) ,mirrors are dark blue (just as I wanted) but the framework next to a driver's head is dark blue ,too (that one should be white).

I assume that the game run in software mode treats mirrors and the framework as an inseparable entity, which shares only one colour.
When editing cockpits in hardware - mirrors are a separate part of a cockpit and they can be painted whatever colour - being independent from the rest of the framework.

I really hope it's not too difficult to understand. :)

I just want to know if it's possible to paint software mirrors in order to make them be of a different colour than the rest of the cockpit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2007 09:32PM by abdelkader.
Date: March 24, 2007 10:32PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
OOPS yeah sorry about that, i checked about 10 mins ago to see if i was right in what I was thinking but I was clearly talking shite. I'd forgotten that in SW mode the bottom half of the cockpit gets cutt off, I thought it was actually all one colour, and that you could change it but you're quite right.

I'm going to have a little play and see what I can turn up, if I find anything useful I'll pass it on.

ATB

bazza

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Date: March 25, 2007 12:10PM
bazza_racer a �rit:
-------------------------------------------------------
> go to options menu and go in to the graphics. i
> think it's on the right hand side and it says
> graphic card (i think) if you are running Software
> mode (SW) it will say Software 3D but you can
> usually change it to use the graphic card if you
> have one.
>
> think thats right anyway?

Ok thanks ! But it's don't working for me because I haven't a great graphic card...

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy