Can't make my JAMs transparent

Posted by giallorosso_986 
Can't make my JAMs transparent
Date: January 01, 2007 04:06AM
Posted by: giallorosso_986
I found this fantastic picture the other day on google images of from inside the cockpit of the '06 mclaren:

[www.motorpasion.com]

and my first thought was that this is a perfect image to create a new wheel for GP3 from. So I went online and looked and looked and couldn't find any wheels for GP3 which were newer than 2002..

So i set off on making my it myself, even though I've never made anything for GP3 before besides some menu backgrounds. I cut out the wheel in photoshop (the main part that would be steerb9.jam), saved it as a bitmap, went into GP3 JAM Editor v1.6 (the only jam editor i could find who's download link works) and made a new jam and pasted the bmp in as a new texture (and made the whole thing the same size and same flags as another wheel by somebody else which i already have).

I saved it as a jam and copied it into gp3jamsh/main. I went into the game and what did I have? A steering wheel with a huge white rectangle behind it...

So I went into Microsoft photo editor and opened my bmp and used the transparency tool to make the white background transparent .. and tried to save it and it said "this format doesnt support transparency" .. so i just right clicked and hit 'copy' and went into GP3 Jam Editor and made a new jam and new texture and hit 'paste' ... and still when I clicked 'view jams transparency' I had the white background with no black outline, like you get with a proper jam.

So basically, I don't know how to make a .jam file. I really want to figure this out because that picture is begging to be made into a wheel. I've been messing around with LEDs and stuff for the wheel I am currently using so I know a bit about how to use GP3 Cockpits Editor, so i might have a chance.

Anybody out there willing to provide some helpful hints about this stuff would be much appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2007 04:10AM by giallorosso_986.
Re: Can't make my JAMs transparent
Date: January 08, 2007 09:28AM
Posted by: prayerson
Hi

Just been reading your article about making steering wheels.

I'm new at this too ,but reading your article I've learnt some of the basic's of designing a wheel.

try to find a graphic's program that will have the transparent option ! You may have already done this

I think you are allmost there with getting going .Maybe get in contact with panserking or someone similar .

Anyway have fun in your new adventure
Date: January 08, 2007 10:09PM
Posted by: gareth
Try this... get a jam of a tree and when you convert to bitmap, eyedrop the colour surrounding the actual tree and use that exact colour to fill what should be transparent on your wheel bitmap/jam.

Not sure if it'll work with a steering jam, but give it a go
Date: January 08, 2007 11:52PM
Posted by: abdelkader
The answer is easier than you think...

1.You open original steerb9.jam with Jam Editor you mentioned.
2.Export it to bmp.
3.Open it with MS Paint
4.Eyedrop the colour (probably light green) surrounding the wheel.
5.Paste your own bmp with the wheel you are working on.
6.Fill appropriate places with the previously eyedropped colour.
7.Save it
8.Open Jam Editor, open steerb9.jam and import newly saved bmp to the file.

It should work.

Shouldn't you forget about editing Cpithi3art.bmp file with leds,lights etc. In the right upper corner there is the main panel of the steering wheel.

P.S. I am not an expert in making steering wheels. I am just good at converting already made wheels from Hardware into Software (as I can't play GP3 hardware, due to my graphic card).

However, I have been using the technique described above for some time and it works in all cases.

Taking advantage of the occasion... is anybody going to make a Renault 2006 steering wheel?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2007 11:57PM by abdelkader.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy