Spa with Grid in Eau Rouge exists?

Posted by f_henrique 
Spa with Grid in Eau Rouge exists?
Date: November 25, 2005 11:39PM
Posted by: f_henrique
Hi, sorry for my bad english

I was seaching the circuit Spa-Francoshamps used in WTCC, FIA GT, and other categories.

This track have the grid after the curve "La Source" and behind the Eau Rouge.

I would like to know if this track exist?

Again I ask sorru for my bad english

Thanks
Re: Spa with Grid in Eau Rouge exists?
Date: November 26, 2005 12:23AM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
Seems that abcdefg made a Spa 1980 where the grid was in this position. I can't vouch for it myself as I have yet to look at it, but maybe you should try:

[www.freewebs.com]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: December 01, 2005 11:06AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Anything up to 1994 or 1995 has the grid after La Source, before Eau Rouge. Provided it's the new circuit.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: December 01, 2005 11:22AM
The track I suggested actually has the grid (incorrectly) before La Source.

Not too sure what Turkey Machine is referring to :s The s/f has been situated in its current position since the track reopened in 1981 (at least for F1). I believe sports cars used the 'old' start position for a few years thereafter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: December 01, 2005 12:06PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I remember 1994 being the year that they had the starting grid after La Source. Of course I could be completely mis-informed. ;) Martin Brundle mentioned it at Spa this year that they used to overshoot La Source to cheat the start of the lap, i.e get a faster starting speed.

1994 was also the year that they neutered Eau Rouge. :(

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2005 12:07PM by turkey_machine.
Date: December 01, 2005 03:25PM
You remember wrongly about the starting grid. :)

I too heard Brundle make those comments, but he would have been referring to either pre-81 Grands Prix or races of other formulae.

Date: December 02, 2005 10:12PM
Posted by: JackiMatra
All of my F1 video reviews from 1980 onwards (and I have every single yearly one except 2002, 2004, and 2005) have the Spa-Francorchamps race starting from the present position before La Source.

The World Sports Car video reviews from the mid 1980s that I have, show their races starting between La Source and Eau Rouge.

I know that F1 races did all also start between La Source and Eau Rouge, on the old Spa-Francorchamps circuit, at least until 1967, but without viewing all of my F1 review videos from 1967 through 1970, I am afraid that I couldn't tell you for certain when the F1 Spa-Francorchamps starting position was changed, although I rather suspect that it was when the new circuit layout came into use in 1983. (There were no F1 races at Spa-Francorchamps from 1971 through 1982.)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:51AM
Posted by: CARTF1Fan
According to the track layouts at racingcircuits.net, the Start/Finish was before La Source when F1 returned to Spa in 1983 after 3 years at Zolder. Before that, it was after the hairpin and before Eau Rouge.

1979-80: [www.racingcircuits.net]
1981 and after: [www.racingcircuits.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy