Default Car Setups?

Posted by Daniel Knott 
Default Car Setups?
Date: July 14, 2004 06:10PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Which files are the default car setups in, so that I can copy them off the cd and make a save of them? I doesn't appear obvious from the file names.

Also, I don't see how just changing one thing at a time will always work. For example, when changing the wings, you have the wings, one wing setup may be actually quicker, but results in a slower time because the gear ratios are not set accordingly, while another may be slower, but because the gear ratios complement it, it results in a faster overall time and so you choose that one instead of the one that would be better.

Now, please say if what I just said above is complete crap, and if so try an help me understand, as I would think you would need to for example change the gear ratios to suite the wings etc.
Re: Default Car Setups?
Date: July 14, 2004 06:50PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
Its not complete crap, but I think that you have to change one thing at a time. You're right in that putting 0 rear wing at monaco, but with original gears, you'd be gear limited, but you'd never do that really...so small incriments of change you will notice, like with 2 more on front, one more on back, you may be able to carry more speed thru lower speed corners, while gear ratios would remain unaffected, as would straight line speed.

I dont think I made it that clear, but basically its not ideal to change one thing at a time because you're always affected by the other settings, but at the same time, changing wing, gears and springs together would be bad, because if it was slower, you'd have 3 variables to work through, not one. Personallly I stick to the original setups, if you know the tracks well enough, you can win at ace mode most of the time - and its quite a challenge, though at the samme time there's nothing better in gp3 than spending a boring hour on setup, then beating your best lap by a full second, makes it all worthwhile :)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: July 14, 2004 07:39PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
The default setups are contained within the GP3.exe. For tracks you may have downloaded the chances are that the setups are within the magic data file which is itself within the track dat file.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: July 14, 2004 08:30PM
WTF? I just looked and all the track setups seem to be the same O_o (apart from ones I changed). Is it meant to be like this?

I haven't downloaded any new tracks, no
Date: July 14, 2004 08:58PM
When you move into the car setup screen the entire setup is neutralised so you can't see exactly what the default setup is.

For the basics - wings and gears - you can extract magic data from the gp3.exe to view it, or alternatively import cc setups using the cc setup editor. To my knowledge there is no way of finding out the other settings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: July 14, 2004 09:08PM
OK, does the GP3 decrypted No cd patch thingy have the normal default settings in? or am I going to have to reinstall the whole thing?
Date: July 14, 2004 10:50PM
Yes it does.

Date: July 15, 2004 03:46PM
You mean you can get times of below 1 minute 30 s on Melbourne using the default setup? :O

I mean, I don't use traction control or steering help but I find it shockng if you can manage to get at least 5 seconds better than my 1:36.xxx (also using the default). Where do you find the time. Also, with the default setup, you struggle to find the speed down the straights.
Date: July 15, 2004 04:25PM
You can be really really quick with the default setups...stupidly fast, if you know the track well enough.

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: July 15, 2004 07:15PM
Posted by: theShadow
IMO wings come first, but they have to go hand in hand - once the wings are set the revs will tell you what gear ratios to use. Adjusting 6th is easy enough once you have the wings where you want them - near max revs at top speed. The rest of the gears can be used to maximize your speed in and out of important corners, for example set first to get out of a hairpin, maybe forth to be at max revs at the end of a short straight etc. Usually just spacing them evenly is a good start.
The orthodox view is change things one at a time (so you know what works), but once you've figured out what suits your driving style you can sometimes make a lot of changes to the default right away (for instance I always want more front brake than the default gives me). Just remember it's all a compromise!

Date: July 15, 2004 11:49PM
I find the default setups weird, as they are all the same in the menu, but as someone said earler they are not actually the same. This is hard for me to grasp, as it means I have no real idea of what the default setup of the car is and what the real wing angles, etc are. Particularly confusing is how the brake balance is defaultly set to the rear of the car, even though it says it is best to have it at the front in the manual.

I swear in GP2 that the default setups were different for each track (as in different values in the menu). This was good as it allowed you to get an idea of what to do and more of a feel for what to change. Now with them all being the same values in the menu for each track, it makes it very confusing. There were individual ones in GP2 weren't there? Or am I remembering wrongly?

BTW, why are the AI so incredibably @#$%& at starts? It was like this in GP2 :D They are so slow going into the first corner too, I have to take the lead from a good grid position or I will crash into the back / lock my brakes :D Is there any way to make them a bit more realisitic? They don't really try to stop you overtaking either. From the back of the grid, you can get to about 6th goin into the first corner in GP2 iirc and it is the same here (obviously it depends on the track. They should block you at the start or something, and you should have such huge accelleration compared to them.
Date: July 16, 2004 11:15AM
Yeah, the start issue is annoying, since gp2 they form two orderly queues at turn 1, each waiting their turn like their at tescos, while you come screaming up the inside having started 15th and immediately are up to p6 by turn 2 :| In gp4 its muc the same, but I think Madman made a fix for his GP4 tweaker, so maybe it would be possible in gp3 too...?

-----------------

My love’s subliminal
Date: July 16, 2004 01:03PM
Posted by: Marcow_nl
My advice:

Make a hotlap on every track and save it. Use HOFxlap to extract the setup and save it. There you have all default setups. It's a lot of work, but you get there in the end ;)

Ibanez guitars played by people like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai make me wanna go fast!!

Come and compete to other GP3 hotlappers [www.gp3Hotlaps.tk]
Date: July 16, 2004 03:17PM
I think if you do that with the default setup it will still not give the correct settings. There will be something like "actual setup contained within track file", and the setup you see in HOFxLap will be the same as seen in the setup menu inside the game.

Date: July 16, 2004 05:24PM
Posted by: Scottyj
I thought they only gave you two setups with the game. One wet and one dry. I vaguely remember reading in the manual (quickstart guide?) that the dry setup "has slight understeer, but suits most tracks quite well". I don't know if this is just monza or what.

I've only ever seen i setup when i try different original tracks. I cant remember wings/brakes/gears but suspension is always:

front
3000 anti roll bar (metric)
0 packers
4 fast bump
4 fast rebound
21 slow bump
21 slow rebound
1400 spring rate (metric)
32.0 mm ride height (metric)

rear
300 anti roll bar (metric)
0 packers
4 fast bump
4 fast rebound
17 slow bump (?)
17 slow rebound (?)
1000 spring rate (metric)
54.0 mm ride height (metric)

if that helps...

I change EVERYTHING before i even drive so i never use defaults. I can tell you that they are fast if you like that sort of setup, but it understeers waaay too much for my liking. I like my car like a gokart. Ultra crisp handling, plenty of oversteer and i enter hairpins with the rear brakes just starting to lock all the time. Nasty in the wet, but amazingly fast in the dry.
Date: July 16, 2004 11:34PM
ok, could someone clarify what I said about gp2? I think maybe there were individual default setups for each track (read what I said in the previous post).

Is this true?

Oh, and if you are right ScottyJ, that would make more sense :D and at least I would know what I am doing to the car :) The others were just trying to confuse me by accident ;) hehe (jk)
Date: July 16, 2004 11:48PM
Scottyj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought they only gave you two setups with the
> game. One wet and one dry. I vaguely remember
> reading in the manual (quickstart guide?) that the
> dry setup "has slight understeer, but suits most
> tracks quite well". I don't know if this is just
> monza or what.

Two setups for each track.

Drive around Monza for a bit on the default setup. Take note of your top speed. Then do the same at Monaco. You will clearly see that the two setups are not the same.

The setup you have posted is merely what you see when entering the setup screen before making any adjustments. It is not a default setup.

Date: July 17, 2004 12:27AM
Ahem,

On the other hand....

GP3 and GP3 2000 are completely different beasts.

Disregard everything I have said. :-/

Date: July 17, 2004 05:10PM
about this start fix thing, who is madman, and would he be willing to try something similar for GP3? *crosses fingers*
Date: July 18, 2004 07:50PM
The AI seem crap anyway :( Is there anyway to edit them to make it better or a patch somehow?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy