Installing tracks

Posted by kas 
Installing tracks
Date: September 27, 2002 03:32AM
Posted by: kas
Please can someone out there give me a step-by-step guide on how to install new downloaded tracks into GP3-2000 using GPXPatch.
I have been using gp3 for a few years and now am fed up with racing the same circuits all the time.
I have downloaded tracks and unzipped them (I think) but have not been able to install them with GPXPatch (v2.21).
I also need to know how to put the original tracks back if i ever get a d/l track to work.
Any help / tips would be gratefully accepted.
I know this subject has been covered before, but not in a simple step guide for novice editors like me, it all sounds so confusing !
KAS
Re: Installing tracks
Date: September 27, 2002 04:13AM
Posted by: Nik
Right, what you need to do is this

GpXpatch doesn't actually install the tracks for you, it just allows you to use them once you have installed them. Its a very manual proceedure though

1. Unzip all the bits and bobs, in there there should be .txt file usually called gp3form.txt and this will tell you what to do.

2. Say the readme file asks you to make a new directory in your GP3jamsh folder (which is inside the grand prix 3 directory) then put all the .jam files into that, then do that, as this is where gp3 will look for the textures for the downloaded track. You will be asked to give the folder a specific name, DO THAT! the track will not work if the name of the folder you just made is not identical to that described in the readme file

Important, if you use Software rendering mode, then you need to download software optimised version of the tracks, and the folder with the jams in will have to be placed in the gp3jams folder (note the h is missing from this folder)

3. Place the trackfile in the circuits directory, in your grand prix 3 directory, it is not necessary to rename it to the slot of the track that you want to replace.

4. Go in to GpxPatch and in the GpxTrack tab and click on edit, where it says tracks set and the filename in the box should be tracks.set, this is how GpxPatch stores the data, which is inserted into gp3 to allow you to use the new tracks. After clicking edit you should have a diologue box which, you can select a new track for any slot. Say you want to replace Imola, which is in Slot 4 (F1ct04) just click on the open button next to it, find your Grand Prix 3 directory and the circuits directory, where you placed the new track file, just select it and it is now loaded in to GpxPatch, Just make sure the 'catch, menu strings' box is checked in GpxTrack and you should be able to click 'Start Gpx' and run your new circuit

Hope that helps you out, if you have any more specific problems, post again

Nik

This week I av been mostly listening to : Jeff Buckley - Grace
Date: September 28, 2002 03:02PM
Thanks for the reply above. I downloaded a track and followed your instructions to the letter. Everything was fine the new track name came up in the circuit selected, however as soon as I selected 'Drive' the game crashed and went back to the desktop.
Any idea what I am did wrong or did I just get a dodgy download, it was the MidOhio track and I put it into slot 17, does it matter which slot i put the track into?
Thanks
KAS
Date: September 28, 2002 03:27PM
Thanks that did the trick.
My next question is this - If I insert a new track in to say the Hockenheim slot and race, will the computer cars think they are still driving in Hockenheim ie very low down force settings, set-ups etc, or is there a file which makes adjustments for the change of track. I hope this makes sense.
KAS
Date: September 28, 2002 03:51PM
Posted by: Vader
Some tracks contain so called "magic data" where this data is stored. You can d/l the CMagic compiler and magic data files for all tracks and insert them manually. This is quite easy, just follow the good description in the read me files. If you managed to install trcaks, you will also be able to get new magic data into the track files.

For most tracks this is not even neccessary since they all should have magic data included, so if you replace Hockenheim with a low downforce track the computer car'ss etup should change.

There is also a computer cars editor (CC Edit) where you can look at (and edit) the wing settings and gear ratios of computer cars.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 29, 2003 04:01PM
Posted by: Renato Pereira
I'm having problems with each new track I download and install into GP3. The course seems to be ok, but the graphics are erratic, I mean, there is some kind of a grey wall along the two sides of the track, which suggests that some jam file is missing. But it's strange since it happens with all downloaded tracks, and i'm sure I put the right jam files into the right directory and loaded the track correctly in GPxPatch. Does anyone know what is going wrong?
Date: January 30, 2003 01:42AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
1."Magic Data" files are simple text files which can be easily edited with a text editor such as NotePad. You'll likely need to at least adjust the fuel consumption and AI gear ratios to be compatible with the carset and physics that you are using.

May I suggest that you try out my 1995-2001 Formula One Performance Package, if you're running any of those cars, as the magic data files contained therein are fully compatible with the included physics and perfomance files to produce proper fuel consumption, laptimes, and maximum speeds, both for you and for the AI.

2.If your graphics problems occur with all tracks, then check in the game graphics options menu to see if you have the track detail set to full. Using lower settings will result in symptoms such as you describe as GP3 does not draw certain textures but instead leaves them "blank". It sounds to me as if GP3 isn't drawing the catch fencing, leaving a "blank" grey area where the catch fencing should be. (You may also want to check to make certain that your tracks contain jam files with textures for the catch fencing.)

Post Edited (01-30-03 08:50)
Date: January 30, 2003 10:55AM
Posted by: Renato Pereira
I've increased the graphic details and even decreased it, but it didn't work. I have also certified that the tracks I downloaded have jam files with textures for the catch fencing. The original tracks are all working correctly, but all the downloaded tracks are showing this same defect, with the blank grey area where the catch fencing should be...
Date: January 30, 2003 11:56AM
Posted by: Vader
In this case check if you have really installed the jams to the right directory. Note that sometimes there are two options: hardware and software mode. Do not confuse "GP3JamsH" with "GP3Jams".

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 06, 2003 08:14PM
Posted by: Casper
If you've got the GPxPatch you don't need the CMagic program supposedly. From my experience there a cc cars still running out of fuel at certain tracks and I'm using the latest GPxPatch. should I still use CMagic to install that data into the game or do you need to locate magic data files in a specific directory for GPxPatch to use?

[akiro3.com]
------------
'That was a major, major sausage.' - Barry Sheene
Date: February 07, 2003 08:09AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
1.If you don't use GPxPatch, then you will only be able to use various addon tracks in certain circuit slots, and there will be some (shorter ones) that you will be unable to use in virtually any circuit slots at all.

2.The fuel consumption is a "magic data" issue and not a GPxPatch one.

3.GP3 ordinarily reads fuel consumption and other "magic data" from the gp3.exe, where it is stored for the original circuits. GPxPatch makes GP3 read this "magic data" from the track dat files instead. You have to make sure that all of the circuits that you are using have had "magic data" inserted into them with Cmagic. If they have not, then GP3 will crash with GPxPatch because it is unable to read the "magic data" from the track dat files as it does not exist there. It is just necessary to have inserted the "magic data" into the track dat files that you are using with GPxPatch. It is completely irrelevant where the "magic data" files are actually located.
Date: May 20, 2003 12:28PM
Posted by: twgavin
Sorry ,
I missed the reply here in the thread!
What did the trick? This has been my problem exactly.
Please help.
Thanks,
Tim

twgavin
Date: May 23, 2003 06:55PM
Posted by: Minardi4eva
Get the GP3 Track Installer for one.

Second,delete ALL the JIP files in ALL the Gp3JamsH Folders or the game will freeze. THey have those already in the Gp3jams folders already.

Third, Get CMagic from Marc Aarts and get a HUGE pack of Magic Data and install them into the tracks.

this should answer your query.

Minardi Watch

Wilson:** Verstappen:***
Date: May 30, 2003 12:50PM
worked like a charm! Thx!!

twgavin
Date: May 30, 2003 05:41PM
Posted by: Minardi4eva
:)

Minardi Watch

Wilson:** Verstappen:***
Date: June 02, 2003 08:44AM
I had the same 'fence' problem with some but not all downloaded tracks:
Elkhart Lake, Rockingham, Mid Ohio, Fontana, Portland to name a few.
I solved it by looking in the jamsh directory where i found an 'extra' folder (directory level) that was there even if I unzipped exactly to the instructions.
For example - when you open say the Fontana track file in the jamsh directory you should see a number of .jam files - NOT a folder named Fontana that contains .jam files. Check for that extra directory level and if it's there get rid of it and make sure your.jam files are directly under the jamsh\trackname directory.
TG

twgavin
Date: June 05, 2003 04:49AM
Posted by: mcwilliams99aprilia
I have the same problem as KAS had - only I don't know how to fix it!!!!!! Please help!

mcwilliams99aprilia

P.S. I installed it into the Malaysia slot - the picture of the track is still the same but the name has changed - is this ok?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy