GP3 v1.13 Probs

Posted by migf1 
GP3 v1.13 Probs
Date: February 08, 2003 02:58PM
Posted by: migf1
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum so I apologize if the question has been asked before.

I recently upgraded my PC to an Intel P4 2.4MHz (Asus P4PE with onboard 5.1 Sound), 512 DDRAM and a Prolink/Pixelview GeForce-4 Ti4200 128 Mb.

So, I decided to give my good old GP3 a go with the new hardware, setting all graphics options to "High" of course.

First (minor) prob is that the game asks for recalibrating the graphics every time it is started. I found out that this is a known prob with all nVidia drivers ver 6.x and above, so no big deal.

The MAJOR prob though is that, I often LOSE the keyboard inside the game. It goes off for some 20-30 secs, comes back for 10 secs, goes off again, and so on. Especially when the scene is too crowded with lots of objects. Things getting a lot worse when I use 3rd party liveries and track textures (which boost up the game's effort).

The weird thing is that the game rarely exceeds the 100% CPU load "psychological" limit (the one shown with the "O" key).

The prob is getting lesser when I decrease the resolution, but never goes away (it just happens less often).

I'm really frustrated about that and I would appreciate if anyone could enloghten me in soving the prob.

It shows up in both versions, 1.00 and 1.13 of the game (decrypted or not). I'v tried everything!!! I have even tried with different motherboard, RAM and CPU (thank God friend of mine owns a computer shop) without success. The only things I haven't changed yet is the power supply and the grpahics card.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also have installled an MS Sidewinder FF Pro stick (latest drivers), which I DO NOT use inside the game.

Could it be that the game CANNOT keep up with really fast hardware?

Thanks in advance,
Re: GP3 v1.13 Probs
Date: February 08, 2003 04:37PM
Posted by: Vader
Yassou migf1 and welcome to the forum!

It sounds as if you are using the wrong detonator and/or DX version. I have a similar system with no problems.

Have you tried using a joystick/gamepad/wheel instead of the keyboard?

It could also be your keyboard that causes the problem. Does it have dropouts while typing, too? Can it be a loose contact either in the cable or at the plug?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 09, 2003 03:41AM
Posted by: timrichardson
To solve the keyboard problem, I suggest you downgrade to an older driver. I recently bought a GeForce 440MX, and had exactly the same problems. I downloaded the latest drivers ... and still had the same problem. I saw a post recommending downgrading. I found an old driver on the CD-ROM that came with the card, and it worked. I suppose the old driver is there for this purpose.

To solve the constant recalibration problem, you will need to use the control panel. I use Win 98. Under the System control panel, look at devices->monitors. You will probably see that there are two monitors installed, and this is the problem. Delete the one you are not using (probably called "default monitor". Following advice I found here, I made new registry key: HKEY_Local_machine/software/nvidia corporation/global/system
the new key is called "TwinViewDisabled". It is a "DWord" type. Use the value of 1.

Two monitors is due the card supporting two displays, but it confuses GP3.

I hope this helps.
Date: February 09, 2003 07:54AM
Guys, thank you very much for your rapid responses (geia soy Vader ;-)

My keyboard is working perfectly in all other cases, so this shouldn't be the cause of the problem. Downgrading to an older driver could be my best bet... I'll play around with the ones available in nVidia's archive. I think I should go for those withoout nView support.

Tim, your hint could prove precious, because I tried something similar and saw instant results (not complete solution though). Inside GP3 there are two cards present in the Grpahics Options menu (due to the nView technology available in all latest versions of Detonator drivers). I chose the first one (instead of the 2nd which was already selected) and... vou-a-la: keyboard lockups were much much less!!!

So I'll first try editing the registry and if the prob presists then I'll search for old drivers (my cards' CD-ROM has new ones).

Thanks again guys, I'll get back to you as soon as I have news.

Best regards,

PS. Vader, I'm currently using Win98SE english, DirectX 8.1b and Detonators 41.09. I haven't tried the joystick because I can't really drive with this (and my Logitech Formula Force wheel is in my... storage closet ;-)
Date: February 09, 2003 12:10PM
Posted by: Vader
Why is it in the storage closet? Has it bitten the postman or peed on the carpet?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 11, 2003 06:25AM
Hi all, as promised I'm back for the results of your suggestions.

First of all, I was unable to locate versions of Detonators WITHOUT nView support, in nVidia's archive. So I d/led and installed the LATEST WHQL CERTIFIED pack. This is VERSION 30.82 (size 8.3 Mb)

Then I activated the registry hack dictated by Tim above (disabling nVidia's twinview characteristic) and EVERYTHING WORKED PERFECTLY!

Although I didn't have the time to extensively test GP3 under a lot of circumstances, I'm certainly greatfull for your precious hints.

Thanks again,

PS1. Carom3D (a pretty good 3D pool game) is working A LOT (MUCH LOT) faster with Detonators 30.82! With version 41.09, setting Carom3D to full graphical details was resulting in rather erratical moves of the balls and frequent hard-disk accesses. I guess, DirectX certification is an important (good) factor for improving graphics speed in modern 3D games!

PS2. Vader, I've stopped playing GP3 for almost a year now, and that's why my Logie FF Wingamn Wheel is resting in the storage closet. Actually, it will continue be in there, since I no more have the time and the mood to have it permanetly installed on my desk. I just hope I had the spare time I used to, in teh good ol' days ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy