OATAS Online Le Mans 24 Hour Race

Posted by Glyn 
OATAS Online Le Mans 24 Hour Race
Date: June 08, 2007 10:54PM
Posted by: Glyn
I wont be racing in this years Le Mans as I'll be at Brands Hatch for the DTM with Graham, Jon (Tux) and Kev (Skel), so instead I decided to make a little promo video for the event :) It's not a VTR video, a general OATAS one.

You can view the compact version at [www.oatas.net] by clicking on the media page and find '1) 2007 - OATAS Le Mans Promotional Video'.

If you like, I took the liberty of editing this at full 1080p resolution which you can download here:

720p version - [www.oatas.net]
1080p version - [www.oatas.net]

Both of these have been encoded using H.264. If you're response to that was "uh?" this little guide Gav made should help you out -> [www.thisisgav.co.uk] The quality of these is much higher than the one on the website, and I've tried to keep the bit rate as low as possible. Theres some slight fuzzyness, but nothing major.

One final thing :) When I recorded this I forgot to turn shadows back on after recording something I wanted them off for, and also the car skins are a bit outdated too :( Two minor things before someone points them out :P

Good luck to all the VTR drivers. I'll be thinking of you when we're getting a suntan and going deaf to the sound of V8s ;)

Re: OATAS Online Le Mans 24 Hour Race
Date: June 09, 2007 01:55AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Cant belive I agreed to this one.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 09, 2007 07:46AM
Posted by: gav
I too have made a promotional video. Mine's neither an OATAS one or really a Vader Trophy Racing one, but still, here it is. It couldn't get any more different to Glyn's. His is all creative and not at all based on any individual, mine is based solely on a single car over a single lap. If you're going to watch any, make it Glyn's - it's pretty special.

Here it is - a lap of the Le Mans 24hr 2006 circuit in one of VTR's Sauber c9s. You get the lap itself (obviously), overlays of my wheel and pedals and a throttle and brake trace to compliment them, a live track map and, erm, my 'commentary' on the lap in question.

There are 3 versions to choose from depending on how much bandwidth you want to waste and how big a monitor you have.

First the smallest.

This version is a 640x360 XviD .avi, 47mb, 3:40s. Right-click on the image above and click save target as. Click here for a full-sized preview image.

Now the higher-res version.

This version is a 1024x576 XviD .avi, 103mb, 3:40s. Right-click on the image above and click save target as. Click here for a full-sized preview image.

And now the full-sized, mega-res, über gorgeous, ultra one for all of you with the sense to buy at least a 24" monitor.

This version is a 1920x1080 XviD .avi, 348mb (if you had to ask!), 3:40s. Right-click on the image above and click save target as. Click here for a full-sized preview image.

You can read some background on the making of the video as you're waiting for the download to finish, if you wish. Click here for that. Of you could just go off and read the bash.org latest entries. Whatever. :P

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2007 07:50AM by gav.
Date: June 09, 2007 07:48AM
Glyn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good luck to all the VTR drivers. I'll be thinking
> of you when we're getting a suntan and going deaf
> to the sound of V8s ;)

AWFULLY sorry to say it, but the BBC forecast is of showers, with some sunny spells. Hope you get lucky with more sun than rain. No, really. ;-)

DaveEllis Wrote:
> Cant belive I agreed to this one.

We knew you couldn't resist joining us once more. And Rich was desperate, and so probably bribed you in some way I don't even want to think about. ;)
Date: June 09, 2007 04:40PM
OK, here we go. The race kicks off in an hour and a half ish (5pm UK time, which is GMT+1). Vader Trophy Racing is supposed to have their radio broadcasting, but I don't believe it's active at the moment, but if it does go active, it'll be: here.

We'll keep you posted, even if you don't care.

Here's the driver line-up:

VTR1:
Myself starting
Dellis (so we're @#$%&)
Dion (new driver for this race)
Andras (new driver for this race)

VTR3:
Rich starting
Andras
Dion

VTR4:
Andras starting
Jannis Koopmann
Esben
Neil Pearson
Date: June 09, 2007 05:58PM
VTR 1-2-3 on the grid

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 09, 2007 09:00PM
And now, 45 laps (3 hours) into the race, Rich has killed VTR3 by slamming it into the tyre wall exiting the Playstation Chicane, and just a few minutes ago I've all-but-killed VTR1 by crashing into the very same tyres.... Down around 10mph on the straights, and I think we'll be having an engine failure. It's in 8th place. Buggers.

VTR4, having had problems on 2 earlier driver changes, is down in 7th position, but touch wood, is in decent condition still.
Date: June 09, 2007 09:41PM
Just to top off VTR1s fun, I was losing about 6 seconds a lap from what I'd like to be doing because of the damage. Came up to lamp NHRL2, which Rich had already been complaining about on the radio, he blocked me all the way through the Porsche Curves and right around to Mashion Blance. He let me pass and then turned in on me ane put me in the outside wall, and then the inside wall. VTR1 is on its last legs now.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 10, 2007 12:17AM
Posted by: Covfan
Is that Celine Dion?
Date: June 10, 2007 04:01AM
OK, 10 hour report.

I've just got up now, 3am. VTR1 is 3rd and VTR4 is leading. The leading OATAS car (the #19 we're battling in the championship) appears to be out, but they've loaded their #91 car up with their top drivers by the look of it - it's placed 2nd at the moment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2007 04:04AM by gav.
Date: June 10, 2007 06:31AM
Just past the half way point (12hrs, obviously, or 197 laps (we're doing this on lap number rather than time on this occasion).

VTR1 now has Neil Pearson driving
VTR4 I've just given to Rich

The OATAS #91 will have just taken the lead after that driver change, but we're still 2nd and 3rd.
Date: June 10, 2007 07:53AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Lap 220.

Sadly the OATAS car has retired. Pretty much leaving VTR 4 in the lead and VTR1 2nd. miles infront of anyone.

Date: June 10, 2007 11:59AM
290 laps down, past the 3/4 mark. I've just come back from another 3-stint run. FRT2 (#17) appears to be the only car which could disrupt us for pace, but we've got the resources to cover that one if necessary.

VTR4: leading (Rich has just jumped in)
VTR1: 2nd (Jannis Koopmann driving)
Date: June 10, 2007 06:48PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
i think my oversized novelty picture says it all tbh

[neil.gpm2world.com]

Date: June 11, 2007 12:01AM
Posted by: richardd
Firstly, I would personally like to thank Brian Wegner, and the entire race control and broadcast team that were assembled, for playing host to such a huge event. Not to mention the fact that there were gladly no server issues whatsoever, no NRTV issues, just no worries at all and it was very reassuring to know that the hosting side of things was in good hands.

Secondly, thanks to all the teams that turned out to race at this event. We had a pretty good starting field in my opinion, and although there were a few misunderstandings, I generally thought that the standards set out there were something to be proud of. Thanks to all those that gave space.

Thirdly, thanks to Andras Kiraly (usually of the SFH (Sim-racing For Holland) and Dion Vergers for joining forces with us, Dion at particularly short notice. It was great racing and working with the both of them, and we hope to keep an alliance open with them both for the future.

Fourthly, special thanks go to Dave Ellis. Dave used to drive with Vader Trophy many moons ago, and due to Jan Larsen having to pull out at the last moment, I approached Dave on an off the cuff chance that he might be up for a drive. This was 3 days before race day...! Somewhat amazingly (or stupidly for him!) he agreed, and managed to get himself back into the GTP groove more than adequately to make up the numbers. We'll also mention the fact that Dave stayed up til 5am Sunday morning, despite already having arrangements to travel to the real le mans the same day, and not having packed a single thing up until waking up again Sunday morning!

Fifthly, thanks as always to the rest of the team (albeit rather depleted of regulars by now!), Gavin Wilson, Esben Tipple, Jannis Koopmann and Neil Pearson. All again sticking together with determination to muddle through whatever gets thrown at us!

Onto the race itself...

Myself and Gav had done copious ammounts of testing before this event. We'd spent session upon session pushing each other and driving each other to better heights, just like the good old days when I first joined VTR back in June 2005. It seems kind of ironic then, how the two most experienced and well tested drivers were responsible for arguably the team's biggest errors of the race!

After a misunderstanding with a back marker early on, I found myself reversing up the escape road at indianapolis, and playing catch up. Whilst pushing rather too hard, I ended up burying the #86 VTR3 car straight into the tyres on the outside exit of the Playstation chicance... on lap 22 of 390... *doh!* I'll learn one of these days :)

Not too long afterwards, and Gav comes on the radio saying "I'm pretty happy with this stint, everything's gone reasonably well", only to almost do the same thing as I did with VTR3... Glancing off the tyres this time with the #84 VTR1 car and heavily damaging it! Spoke too soon eh gav ;)

The race unfolded for each of the cars something like this...

VTR1 - qualified in 2nd with Gav at the wheel. Got off to a good start with Gav planned in the car for 2 stints before he was to head off to bed. The aforementioned incident happened shortly before the swap over with Dave , if I remember rightly, and Gav bought the car in for repairs and the changeover. Dave's controller packed up however, and Gav had to get back in the car for an additional stint.

Dave jumped in the car after Gav's extra stint having sorted the controller issues, and then handed over to Dion. Koop was then put in the car, having resolved some previous issues preventing him from driving VTR4, before he handed over to Esben to take us into the early hours of the morning.

Esben's triple stint led to Dave doing his final running for the team with a double stint, before the appearance of our Australian teamie, Neil Pearson. Lucky for some, he'd had a full nights sleep and woke up at the god-unearthly hour of about 8am his time... typical!

Neil ran a triple stint and was then joined by Gav, who did a double stint in that car, followed by another double by Neil. I think by this time we had sadly lost our most direct competition in the form of the #91 OATAS car, the #19 also having retired many hours before. However we were still left with the FRT2 entry #17 who were doing a solid job in third place.

Neil handed the car over to Koop, who had gotten some sleep during the other stints, who in turn passed the car over to Dion with about 100 laps left.

At this point, we'd (somehow) still got all 5 gears intact in the car, even with all the bashes and scrapes and spins it had taken, so it was inevitable I guess that one of us was gonna lose a gear in it. Dion picked the short straw, as 4th gear waved goodbye. FRT were on the same lap at the time, and Dion was fearful of not being able to pull away enough to seal the 2nd position, thus he suggested one of us that were using direct shifting took over so we could skip out the 4th gear.

Having already been in VTR4 for nearly 2 stints, I somewhat foolishly talked the others into me swapping cars, before realising there was rather alot of the race still to go...

I think it was about lap 310 when I took over, leaving just one disconnect to do in 80 laps. Mini-Monster stint time then! Kept chugging until there were about 25 to go, enough to put us well out of reach of the FRT car, although as it turned out, we were well in front with disconnection numbers anyway. Neil Pearson took the car across the finish line in 2nd place with a formation finish with VTR4, just after midnight in Aus!

VTR4 - had a great start, with Andras grabbing pole position, much to his surprise! We got off to an organised start, Gav settling back into 3rd, with myself and Andras swapping on point depending on who got better runs out of chicanes etc. Sadly, everything started off on the wrong foot, as on the first stop a changeover to Koop was scheduled. Koop couldn't get the track loaded, so Andras hopped back in for another stint whilst Koop could sort out the track again.

By this point, I'd binned the VTR3 car, and was hastily trying to figure out a new strategy plan and took over from Andras for a while. This took is into mid evening, and we decided to switch drivers around between the cars, as it was already becoming clear that VTR4 was in a much better position.

Whilst I was in car, Dave was hastily making a rough plan to at least get the two remaining cars through the night, and into the small hours of the morning, so that I could disappear for sleep and awaken early on as previously planned. As it was, the plan worked a treat, I handed the car over to Dave, and then tweaked the projected stints a little bit, before leaving Dave, Andras, Dion, Koop and Esben to get the cars through into the morning for Neil P and Gav to take over.

However, as I was catching 40 winks, I later found out that Andras had decided he also wanted to see stars, and had proceeded to do backflips in the VTR4 car! Apart from aerobatics, he'd also suffered from two ADSL disconnections. Forcing him to get back in the car himself once, complete his stint and then hand over to Dion.

Dion's stint ended with the car being handed back to Andras, Dion departed for sleep, Gav arrived, and ADSL disconnection 2 struck, leaving Gav to jump in the car slightly earlier than planned. Fortunately, it seemed like the unplanned discos hadn't cost us much, and things had evened out with the #91 car. As previously mentioned, though, that wasn't to last.

A quick bit of replanning, and I actually jumped into VTR4 at the time when Gav was supposed to have taken over from Andras, ending up actually putting us back on par with the strategy, just with Gav and I's rolls reversed.

It was a fairly quiet run in then for VTR4, I ran my triple stint, followed by a triple from gav, another planned triple for me, which was aborted for me to switch to VTR1, gav jumped in instead, before handing over to Andras. Fortunately Andras's equipment held together this time and he was able to complete a good solid 2 stints, proving the pace was still in the car had it been needed with a lap in the low 21s, he'd have been in trouble had he done backflips again!!

Esben had the honour of the remaining laps, under no pressure at all except to cruise round and tidy off the race win, finally getting to finish the race in the lead car!

We'll skip VTR3... nothing happened, I never did it, wasn't me guv'nor, it was parked up in the trees before I got here, must have been someone else...

So, another 24 hours complete, the most enjoyable, yet one of the most hectic le mans races. I'd spent nigh on 8 or 9 hours constructing various strategies enabling us to run the 3 cars with 8 drivers, and it all went out the window almost before we'd started :)

A big well done to all the teams that made it to the end, it's a miracle in itself to just survive.

Until next time...
Date: June 11, 2007 12:17AM
Posted by: Glyn
gav Wrote:
> Glyn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good luck to all the VTR drivers. I'll be
> thinking
> > of you when we're getting a suntan and going
> deaf
> > to the sound of V8s ;)
>
> AWFULLY sorry to say it, but the BBC forecast is
> of showers, with some sunny spells. Hope you get
> lucky with more sun than rain. No, really. ;-)

Sorry to inform you Gav, but we only felt one drop of rain all weekend. Plenty of sun though - we spent most of Sunday sat in the shade! Graham even burnt his head! ;)

Congrats on the result too!

Date: June 11, 2007 12:04PM
NeilPearson Wrote:
> i think my oversized novelty picture says it all
> tbh
>
> [neil.gpm2world.com]

Sorry to say, but you spelt Koopmann wrong. ;)
Date: June 11, 2007 12:14PM
Posted by: Gazork0
I fired up my PC in the morning, and after scarcely 30 minutes of being turned on it started moaning about temperature. So I decided to move it down to my lovely and cool cellar. Prior to the race I was slated to do the late night running in VTR4, but after VTR3 had its little accident *ahem* Richard ;) *ahem* we had to shuffle the strategy around a bit. I wasn't the quickest driver of the squad and we'd lost a bit of ground to OATAS, so my earlier stints were sacrificed for the quicker drivers. I first got into VTR1 at around 1 am CET (VTR4 had a lead to protect, so I was shuffled into car Numero Uno 8)) for a relatively drama-free triple stint, lapping consistantly as well as, towards the end of the fuel runs, quite quickly.

Then it was off to bed for 5-6 hours of sleep before waking up to catch the last quarter of the race. While waiting for my turn to take over VTR4 for the finish I passed the time by having the VLN 24 hour race at the Nürburgring in the background (I want a Nurby event next season :D), even getting one of my e-mails read on air by John Hindhaugh! Naturally I plugged our little event, as had Brendan both before and after mine. John commented on my situation in the basement, stating that it's a breach in regulations not to have A/C in the cars ;)

Finally I got the controls of VTR4, leading a 24 hour race in the 23rd hour by a comfortable margin, no pressure. I took it quite easy, but I did stretch my legs a bit towards the end of my fuel run and got a 28.3 :D. After refuelling with around 8 laps to go I slowed right down, Neil Pearson in VTR1 was about a minute down the road behind me and we wanted to do a little formation finish. I was having some network issues towards the end, but thankfully I was able to bring her home to win the race in front of it's sister car. I've finished quite a few races, some more or less successful than others (ho-hum), but this one has easily been the most enjoyable. I didn't contribute as much as I did in the WOSEC race in November (something like 10 hours, including 2x stints á 4 fuel runs) with just under 5 hours' driving, but I feel that I did five important hours and that's a very rewarding feeling.

To round off I'd just like to thank OATAS as a league for setting up and organizing the race. Everything from that standpoint was executed flawlessly, leaving us drivers with no more and no less to do than the driving. I can't wait to do the next 24-hour race :D. I'd also like to congratulate Andras Kiraly for finally winning at Le Mans. He'd approached me about a month prior to the race on MSN, saying that he kinda missed running GTP (his team, SFH, has gone over to rFactor) and that in both Le Mans races he'd entered he'd come in second. So well done mate, you've done it :D

Funky Truck - The official Vader Trophy Racing Timewaster
BATracer - Online racing strategy game, great fun!
Date: June 12, 2007 01:02AM
Posted by: cynic
Better late then never.....

Great job guys!:D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy