CSM - Nothing but problems

Posted by Butthead 
CSM - Nothing but problems
Date: April 01, 2015 11:47PM
Posted by: Butthead
Over the years, I've tried to use it a dozen times on as many computers and not once has it ever performed as advertised. In times past, it was usually a problem connected with the

'Gp4.exe' not being the right one, despite whichever version I'd downloaded and installed, so eventually I gave up and played with F1 Challenge.

However, after seeing the pre-patched (full version) of GP4 with the correct version of Gp4.exe on GP4Central, I thought I'd try again.

Step 1: Downloaded & installed the game from GP4Central and it runs fine. Step 2: Installed ZaZTools (repacked) from GP4Central and this time it saw Gp4.exe and seemed happy that

it was the correct version. At last! Step 3: Downloaded Gp4Central's three CSM mods 2012, 2013 & 2014. The three .cuh files seemed to do their thing okay. In the CSM window, the

green bar wizzed across unpacking files and in due course, three new folders of stuff appeared under 'GPSAVES\Carsets'. All fine, so far.

I open CSM and all three mods are listed. I choose 2012 and click start. GPXPatch appears, but it's different to the one that came pre-installed with the game. I'd already changed a

couple of things, such as: 'enable 3d engine sounds', and under 'Session Settings', set Quickrace to 50%, but now the 'enable 3d engine sounds' was off, and Quickrace was back to it's

default 5%. I noticed that the 'Info' tab showed that 4 items such as 'pitboard' & 'defpanel' had been added, 3 of which were ticked. I left these alone, keen to see the results.

I start the game, but there's no change at all. it's just the original names and cars. And it's the same with the other two mods. I've tried every which way but loose, to no avail.

It's almost as if GPXPatch can't see any of the modified data.

I know from reading the forums that over the years a great many have had problems with CSM, but I'd hoped by now they had all been sorted out.

It's good that 'stand-alone' mods are being produced now, even though they are 'fixed' as low-res versions. But in the 10-12 years since i bought the bloody thing, I have yet to see

what GP4 is really capable of, so if anyone out there can help, it would be much appreciated.
Re: CSM - Nothing but problems
Date: April 02, 2015 09:29AM
Posted by: mortal
Check that you have the latest version of gpx and only one installation of same in your GP4 directory. Tom will be along soon and probably knows better than I. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 02, 2015 12:05PM
Posted by: Zitburger
I'm suffering totally random behaviour with any version of CSM that makes mod installing entirely hit-or-miss. I'm wondering if the underlying OS might be the problem. The only PCs I have access to nowadays are all Win7 64-bit. The vanilla game runs just fine with GP4.exe set to WinXP Service Pack 3 compatibility, but all versions of CSM I've tried are pretty much unusable sadly, even after playing around with their compatibility modes too. :(
Date: April 02, 2015 12:47PM
Posted by: mortal
You dont need to set compatibility of CSM. Disabling BC Edit and UAC might help.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 02, 2015 04:00PM
Posted by: TomMK
csmcore.exe (a file that is part of CSM) is frequently classed as a trojan / virus / malware. When this happens, CSM appears to load properly but nothing actually changes in game - exactly as you are describing - because your anti-virus software stopped csmcore.exe running.

Check your anti-virus software and make an exception (sometimes called a "whitelist";) for csmcore.exe.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: April 02, 2015 04:55PM
Posted by: Butthead
Thanks for your replies, but no help so far. I'm not running any other programs at all (anti-virus etc) whilst 'gaming', and I'm using XP SP3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy