Graphics card recommendation

Posted by RHill 
Graphics card recommendation
Date: April 25, 2016 11:39PM
Posted by: RHill
Can anyone recommend a suitable graphics card that will run both gp4 and f12015 / f12016 from code masters?
Re: Graphics card recommendation
Date: April 25, 2016 11:49PM
Posted by: miki2000milos
I have the GTX 750, no big issues with it in GP4.
But you also need a good CPU and enough RAM memory to run F1 2016, so maybe if you give your current PC specs, I can recommend you something

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2016 11:33PM by miki2000milos.
Date: April 25, 2016 11:55PM
Thanks I'll do that.

What details are best to provide and where can they be found?
Date: April 26, 2016 03:12AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I suggest Asus GTX 770, That will run perfectly well the mentioned games plus Gp4.
Date: April 26, 2016 07:58AM
Cpu and ram: right click on my computer/this pc, properties
Gpu: search dxdiag and run it

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: April 27, 2016 01:24AM
Posted by: phantaman
if anyone out there is thinking about purchasing an AMD, I suggest a R9 280 / R9 280x or above. for example, a Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 256bit (the current vga physically installed on my PC), is able to perform all graphics with max. I just bought in a hardware online market a R9 280 which is slightly higher than 5870 (many out there, say the R9 280 is a 7950 rescheduled). as AMD discontinued drivers for vga's below the 7XXX series, then I suggest thinking in this model (R9 280) as the minimum acceptable. anything less is a waste of money (Y)

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Date: April 27, 2016 01:36AM
I also recommend (in case someone thinking of getting vga's AMD) beware of some manufacturers in relation to aspects of the assembly line. msi and sapphire brands just to cite as examples, where I work is a labtec has returned much to repair in RMA. already, the powercolor and xfx brands present few problems. is this ... my experience with AMD is this. ;-)

MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Date: April 27, 2016 07:33PM
my experience with AMD cards is that my card died after less than a year lol ;)

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: April 27, 2016 11:46PM
less than a year??? then you are so unlucky. (N)

the Radeon HD 5870 (HIS brand) mentioned above was bought in 2011 and still works perfectly. the Radeon HD 5870 is one of AMD vga's, which requires a real trusted power supply (700W OCZ) brand.

Date: April 27, 2016 11:51PM
except for one time in my "user life", I always used AMD. including, as an IT professional, I worked in the 1st official reseller of AMD products here in Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).

I never had problems with AMD (Y);-)

Date: May 14, 2016 01:45AM
see only that. which just arrived from the post office. ;-)

Date: July 16, 2016 11:02PM
Hi everyone,

Sometime ago I started this thread with the aim of finding out what graphics card I should buy to successfully run F1 2015 & GP4.

Now F12016 is due for release in August, I want to update my card / pc to be able to run both GP4 & F12016.

Based on both my current specs and F12016 requirements (detailed below), can I ask you all for your recommendations? Following this I will be looking at costs for the card etc and installation.

Thank you in advance...

F12016 recommended (not minimum) specs

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690 or AMD FX 8320
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 or AMD R9 Fury
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Soundcard
Additional Notes: Supported Graphics Cards: AMD HD5870 or better, HD6870 or better, HD7790 or better, R7 260 or better, R9 260 or better Nvidia GTX460 or better Series, GTX560 or better, GTX650Ti or better, GTX750 or better, GTX950 or better

My PC specs

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 3.60GHz
Memory: 6GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275
DirectX: Direct X 11
Storage: 792GB free
Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Date: July 16, 2016 11:32PM
Ugh, DDR2.
I think even though the CPU/RAM and assuming motherboard too are very, very outdated, they'll hold on decently for the time being. Most games nowadays are more graphics-intencive, and the GPU is very weak, even weaker than mine which says a lot xD

So yeah, I think you need a new GPU. How much are you willing to spend on the upgrade?

(also, windows 10 definetly improved my game performance quite a bit)

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: July 17, 2016 02:56PM
Ok so don't you think I need more RAM? I only have 6GB and the recommended is 8GB? Will F1 2016 still work with 6?

Just need a new graphics card (is that a GPU?)

I'm willing to spend between £100 and £150...? I need a graphics card that will work with both F12016 and GP4.
Date: July 17, 2016 11:05PM
The problem with RAM is that it's DDR2 - it won't be easy to find more than 6GB of that, and if you do, it'll be terribly overpriced. You'll have to deal with 6 for the time being, and I'm confident the game will work just fine. The minimum requirement is 4GB RAM, so F1 2016 will still work.
Besides, the GPU is really weak and I feel like that's the thing that needs to be changed in this build.

For that budget, the R7 370 should handle F1 2016 good on medium-high settings. As I said above, I'm a bit of an Nvidia fanboy after my only AMD card failed, so on the Nvidia side, the GTX 750 Ti should do a solid job too, it's a bit cheaper than the AMD card I mentioned, but it's also a bit slower on paper, and I've read somewhere it may not recieve full DX12 support, as DX11 starts to get dropped as developpers move to the much improved version. On the other hand it has great overclocking potential and from experience I've never had any problems, that's with the non-Ti version though.
Still, both cards might end up being too weak when F1 2017+ comes out, so I would recommend the GTX 950 if you're planning to get the future F1 games too. The card leans more towards the £150 side though. If you really want an AMD, the R9 380 is my recommendation, it's a bit over your budget though.
The cards may be priced differently in your local stores, for my own reference I used the cheapest Serbian tech reseller, and the exchange rate of 1 GBP = 147.4 RSD, and all the cards, apart from the R9 380, are within your price range with that. And I also assumed that the PSU can deliver enough power, and that all the connections needed are there.

I haven't mentioned GP4, because F1 2016 is gonna be more resource intencive, as the newer game, so all the cards I mentioned here should have absolutely no problem dealing with GP4. You may be interested in the 2GB patch though if you want to extract more out of the game, I haven't felt a noticeable improvement in performance, but I do only have 4GB, it may be more noticeable with 6.

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: July 18, 2016 11:30PM
Thanks for the detailed answer, it's a big help.

What does ddr2 mean with regards to RAM and why can't I go from 6GB to 8GB? Also are you sure f12016 only needs 4GB? I keep reading 8GB is the minimum.

Also are my CPU GHz okay? I keep reading something about this needing to be a certain level.

Lastly I think I will go with the better Nvidia card and you mentioned this will work with gp4 and f12016 right?

Thanks again
Date: July 19, 2016 12:01PM
To answer the questions, one by one.

DDR2/DDR is basically where this little gap is located

Apart from that, the newer RAM memories are faster. Not that it matters bar a few FPS in games though..

Currently, DDR4 is the latest, while DDR3 is still the most used, but DDR4 will slowly start taking over. I'm not sure what the take on DDR2 is, but I don't think those are still in production, so as i said, you will have a hard time finding what you need, and you're better off just replacing the whole damn motherboard.

Hmm, looking again, seems like my sources for the minimum ram were a bit off.. you could still try it, it might work out.

CPU should be fine as it's quad-core.

Now that I looked at the minimum on the official steam page, maybe you should wait for the release of F1 2016 before you buy anything and see if it fires up, with your current setup the game should still run on the minimum settings, try to do a 50% race and see if it crashes. If it crashes or doesn't fire up at all, you should look at replacing the entire motherboard as I said. If it's all fine, go ahead with the GPU upgrade, it'll be worth it. (I managed to run F1 2011 on 1GB RAM on my old PC, when the minimum was 2. Sure it was lagging like crazy, but the other specs were also well off minimum, and it worked. The fact it says 8 there doesn't mean it won't work with less ;) )

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 12:20PM by miki2000milos.
Date: July 19, 2016 12:32PM
actually, back on the RAM thing.
You're gonna need to see how much RAM slots your motherboard has. If it has 4 slots, you're saved - as 2GB DDR2 RAM is much cheaper on ebay than it is here. If it has 2 slots though, that's a bit of a problem.. as 2x4GB is terribly overpriced for Intel boards, at which point, replacing the whole thing makes more sense. If it has just one slot, then it reaches the point where it's even less expencive to replace the whole thing!
Use the Cruical memory tool and take a look at how many slots are available. Can always open the case too if you want to do it the hard way.
[www.crucial.com]

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Date: July 19, 2016 08:45PM
Could you take a look at the following info and let me know if I can upgrade to 8GB of RAM and the Nvidia card you recommended?

Anything else I might need to run F12016 correctly and also GP4?

I'm pretty sure with 8GB of Ram (I think I have 4 slots) and the new card I will be above all the minimum requirements? I did see I have DDR3 I think, what does this mean?

Thanks so much for helping decide what I need!

Date: July 19, 2016 10:14PM
oh really? I could've sworn that the first gen i-series processors were ddr2, seemingly I was wrong then. Alright then, the ram upgrade should be very cheap for you then. You could get away with a single 2GB stick to add to your fourth, free mobo slot, but I'm not sure how that would work, I think it needs to be the same speed as the other 3. Unfortunately, this is where my knowledge ends, I actually have no idea if adding another 2GB stick from a different manufacturer will work, or if you end up replacing all the sticks, if the sticks themselves will be too fast for the CPU to handle (I've only read about this, never experienced it myself).

Are you going to assemble the new PC on your own when you get it? Or are you going to carry it to a computer service/shop and let them do the "hard work"? If it's the latter one, then they could perhaps help you answer the questions.

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy