GP4 destroyed my day - Freezing Error [SOLVED]

Posted by TGF1DRIVER 
GP4 destroyed my day - Freezing Error [SOLVED]
Date: April 05, 2015 12:04AM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
Today I was driving an exciting race at Kleine Nordschleife, 42 laps, the full race distance. In the last lap, I was only in 7th position, and the winner was already over the finish line. Then, there were only three corners to go for me, GP4 was frozen. :-O Just like in Valencia, Singapore or Buenos Aires 1979 when they are not running in Slot 1. But I was driving the whole race distance at Kleine Nordschleife more than 20 times before and it never froze. Today was the first time. Then I tried everything to get it back working, but the only way was to start the task manager and there I saw that GP4.exe AND GPxPatch both have crashed. :-( ;-( That's why I'm not able to present an error log here. This was the technical part.

Now to the emotional part: I really can't find any words how disappointed and frustrated I am now. (N) hot When a game crashes in the last lap of a race, it feels like when you have just missed the bus by less than a second (Yeah, I went through that a few weeks ago, and it was exactly the same feeling like now hot ). Now I feel like my race driver soul is broken, because every race deserves a race result to look at after the race. I wanted to write it down as every 100% race I drive, because I need to check if my performance files are right. I drove a 3 lap long compensation race then, but, of course, I was third instead of seventh and the AI cars were mixed up as well, so I decided to write down the race result of the 100% race from my memory. I think it was not that wrong. But that single race is not the problem now. The problem is that I'm frightened that this may happen again and on other tracks as well. Maybe I will quit playing GP4 when this will happen again forever. I don't know. So we have to find a solution for this problem. The track was working ever since, my cars and other settings are ok as well, so the problem must be somewhere else. A GP4 freezing error in the last lap and of course in any other lap as well MUST NOT HAPPEN EVER AGAIN on any computer where GP4 is being played. That error destroyes the spirit of the whole race. Imagine you are watching a F1 race on TV when suddenly, in the last lap, an atomic bomb destroyes the race track and the area around it. The race would be completely wiped out then. That would be the same thing in real life. So we have to do something and find the mistake. Every information can be useful to figure out what causes a freezing error, so please help. (Y)

Your broken race driver, TGF1DRIVER :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 08:50PM by TGF1DRIVER.
Re: GP4 destroyed my day
Date: April 05, 2015 12:32AM
Posted by: Tony_MSC_94
Know that feel bro
Date: April 05, 2015 12:38AM
Now I changed Kleine Nordschleife for slot 1. I will never drive any track except the 17 original tracks in another slot than slot 1. Yet I hadn't a freezing error at a track running in slot 1. So I can live with this problem now. But what shall I do when one day some track crashes in slot 1 as well? Then I can really give up playing GP4! So we have to find out now what exactly causes that freezing errors. Around here are the best people with most knowledge about GP4 and this would not be the first complicated problem which is finally solved. Come on community, we can make it! :-)(Y)
Date: April 05, 2015 02:34AM
Posted by: tumyeto
Overheating of the graphics card maybe ?
I had some time to freeze a few laps from the end of a race.
If a circuit freeze to each race,, I replace it with another.
Finally, I always make a backup after each pit stop.

Above all, do not lose hope, I've had a terrible amount of trouble with this game but I always ended up finding a solution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 02:39AM by tumyeto.
Date: April 05, 2015 07:19AM
Posted by: TomMK
CPU = 0 in GPxPatch?

Save the game often (every 10 laps).

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: April 05, 2015 10:57AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
I've had this problem before, I think it's a track slot incompatibility issue. Some tracks freeze in some slots and I don't think there's much you can do about it! :(
When it froze did the sound keep looping forever?

[www.grandprixgames.org]

[www.grandprixgames.org]

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 10:59AM by salvasirignano.
Date: April 05, 2015 12:24PM
Yes, of course the sound was looping forever and it's a slot issue. In slot 1 there was never a freezing error so far. And in the other post you said you had that problem in Sepang. Was it the original 2001 Sepang track or the one from 1995?
Date: April 05, 2015 12:54PM
Yep, the original 2001 Sepang. I moved it from slot 2 to slot 3 and it gave me the freezing problem.
Same with Suzuka 2001. I was playing a 1997 season so moved Suzuka from slot 17 to slot 16, so i could have Jerez at the last round - same thing happened - freezing under braking coming into Casio Triangle :(

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: April 05, 2015 04:44PM
Well, I never moved an original GP4 track to another slot so far, but what you have just said scares me even more! :( And it seems to me that GP4 always freezes when breaking into a right corner. Only once in Valencia it froze when I was spinning around at the exit of a left corner, but already on the straight. Can you tell me at approximately which lap it freezes? For me it was always at about 60% to 70% of the race distance, or in the last lap as yesterday. ;-(
Date: April 05, 2015 07:53PM
It was normally around lap 17 out of about 20

Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: April 06, 2015 12:09AM
Only 20 laps? And it crashed in lap 17? I know only about freezing errors in 100% distance races. That is a shocking message for me, it can happen in any race! :((N) Except when your track is in slot 1. By the way I drove the yesterday frozen race again today in slot 1 and nothing freezes anymore! :-) My favourite slot is clear: SLOT 1 YOU ARE THE BEST SLOT EVER! (K)(Y)
Date: April 06, 2015 11:29AM
That was a 100% race distance though, I changed lap number in the GP4 info data to get shorter races with one mandatory pitstop, more like GP2.

Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: April 06, 2015 11:45AM
A mandatory pitstop? :-o You can drive even 60 laps in Sepang without a pit stop! :-O
Date: April 06, 2015 03:08PM
I prefer races that are short and sweet!

Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: April 06, 2015 04:57PM
And I prefer slot 1! ;)(Y)
Date: April 11, 2015 02:05AM
Posted by: Excalibur
I am starting a new championship season for years (full races) and I have experienced the same troubles. No game freezes to Melbourne or Sepang (slot 1 and 2) but since the third race, the game freezes (image and sound loop) and I have to close the game from the task manager. So, could it be related to the cc_lines, wads, sound options into GPxPatch, graphic cards drivers? I didn't remember this problem before 2008. A shame that for the first time I want to play a complete championship since 2008, I can't enjoy the game :/

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: April 11, 2015 02:08PM
Posted by: SDI
Have you tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+End? This makes GPxPatch forcefully quit the process, and it could provide valuable information in the log file. If it doesn't work then it probably hangs in a system device driver or something.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.
Date: April 11, 2015 02:20PM
Posted by: rracunis
Same happened to me in Sakhir circuit (N)
Date: April 11, 2015 03:16PM
Posted by: Excalibur
SDI écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+End? This
> makes GPxPatch forcefully quit the process, and it
> could provide valuable information in the log
> file. If it doesn't work then it probably hangs in
> a system device driver or something.

I didn't know this command (seems a bit different from task manager calling) Thank you, René. I will try ;-)

Another thing I have noticed. I crashed my car after some laps. So, I decided to speed up the time. At lap 19, the time freezes and game also (I just hear the music of the menu).

Edit:
Test: I launch a race and quit to speed up the time. The game freezes to lap 26. The command Ctrl+Alt+Shift+end won't close Gpxpatch (forced to close the game via the task manager again)...

I have updated the my graphic card and sound card with the last drivers (it didn't change anything).

I have got a question: Is it possible to rename the track wads like the gp4 files? My idea was to rename my tracks wads like the original wads order and names.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2015 03:37PM by Excalibur.
Date: April 11, 2015 03:48PM
> I have got a question: Is it possible to rename
> the track wads like the gp4 files? My idea was to
> rename my tracks wads like the original wads order
> and names.

That doesn't help I'm afraid! That's how I install my tracks, renaming the wad and all the .gp4, .bin, etc files inside it to the slot they are replacing.
I don't use gpx patch or TSM to change tracks. The freezes still happen.

Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy