[RELEASED] 2015 CC-line & Track Cameras for Sepang by Atticus

Posted by Atticus. 
Hi guys,

Two rounds of the championship is already down, so here are the updated CC-line and track cam settings for Sepang.

Most of the stuff - notes, etc. - I included with Melbourne (see here: [www.grandprixgames.org]) is valid for Sepang as well, so I'll just refrain from repeating myself.

Here are some thoughts that came to my mind during the creative process though.

There are very few inaccuracies, mostly in cam settings and due to the fact that the cams' Distance from Center values can only be moved along the sector lines and their imagined extensions on the left or on the right (it doesn't matter if the banks or verges have Angle values that are not zero), so they can't be placed anywhere and consequently they can't be placed in their exact real positions sometimes. This is mostly relevant in tight corners where there's an enormous amount of space between two sector lines on the outside (where cams usually sit). You can already see it was an issue with Melbourne, e. g. in T3-4-5. In Sepang, it's a problem in T9 most of all - good news is, it's such a minor detail that the untrained eye won't even notice something is not exactly right.

There are a few points or interests as well. For example, T1 was the single most difficult corner to nail the CC-line for since I've begun track editing. It's very different in real life from what the original track had (it was different in real life in 2001 as well, so the original one was simply not accurate enough) - the original used a very deep braking zone and a very late apex to avoid the need for a decreasing radius - which the F1 Virtual CC-line tutorial expressedly urges to avoid as well. However, I found out that, when properly managed, decreasing radius can actually work reasonably well.

For Sepang T1, I followed the decreasing radius section up with a constant radius section that has the Curve 2 value of the decreasing radius section and it works quite well; the AI does slow down abruptly sometimes, but only about 15kph and in a low-speed environment. However, when used in T5, followed by a short straight section, the decreasing radius posed no problem at all. It's downside is that keyboard players (like myself) may hate it for the simple fact that they'll always lose a huge amount of time compared to the AI there due to the fact that - with switched, not analog designs - they can only turn or brake, they can't really do both at the same time.

For what it's worth, the decreasing radius nature of T1 is understandable considering T1 almost bumps right into T2 so its exit can be almost entirely sacrificed for the latter corner. It just screams for a very early and then hugged apex as drivers strive to bleed off what is the highest attainable speed through the course as late as possible. Similarly, T2 opens up for the third longest flat-out section, so it's reasonable to open its entry up as wide as possible.

It's the same with T5-6 as well - T5 leads into T6 immediately so it's exit can be sacrificed to open up T6 which does have a short straight after it.

OK, I'm done, here's the link. :-)

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

Enjoy and have fun.

Next up, Barcelona.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 10:26PM by Atticus..
Thanks mate!

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Nice work, I'm enjoying this series! But if a keyboard player can't keep up wouldn't it be better to not use the decreasing radius thing?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
@TomMK: Thank you.

The problem is I don't wish to make a compromise on realism - I simply seek the most realistic lines.

There are 3 decreasing radius corners in this CC-line (T1, T5, T14), at first I think I will just try to counter the time loss in these corners by setting my car up better to gain enough in the others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2015 02:21PM by Atticus..
Atticus, any chance you can be persuaded to do Shanghai this weekend? ;)

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Haha, I thought about it too. :-) I might ask the F1virtual guys, if I can use their 2011 beta as a base - if I get to it, but even if I do, it'll be early next week at the earliest. I can't promise anything. On the plus side, that track is already rather faithful to the real thing CC-line- and camera-wise (much more so than the vanilla tracks) among others, so it would be a fairly short and simple job.
Hello!
We'll have their work to other tracks? thank you....(Y)

AYRTON SENNA FOREVER!
@cleberpister: Yes, yes, Montreal is coming soon. :-)

(I'm sorry if that was not what you asked, I might have misunderstood you.)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy