Official 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread ***Spoilers***

Posted by Toki 
Re: Official 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread ***Spoilers***
Date: November 22, 2014 09:59PM
Posted by: gav
As RBR well know a wing which flexes on track can still pass the static tests.

More to the point, according to Adam Cooper, the FIA discovered a leaf spring encased in a rubber shroud. If true, I'm struggling to understand how they expected to keep that hidden (if indeed it was intended to be hidden, as his wording suggests). I'd love to see a photo of it or explanation of how it works. Over to you Scarbs...
Wow if they were doing that the question should be how long have they been doing that for. Have they finally found out what they were doing for years?

Vettel is rather pissed off that he's not allowed to test for Ferrari next week, just putting that out there.

We have all seen the wing flex for years.
Date: November 22, 2014 10:33PM
marcl
Wow if they were doing that the question should be how long have they been doing that for.
They aren't the only team who's wings flex, and haven't been for some years now. Even as recent as FP3 we saw how much the Williams' front wing elements deflect under load.

Surely you can't hide a lump of rubber. It would stand out a mile. It's rubber in a sea of wafer-thin carbon fibre, and surely would be instantly obvious to anyone within touching distance of the thing. And where would this rubber shroud be? It's not been picked up on in any photos I'm aware of. I'm struggling to believe/understand this leaf spring theory at the moment, in any conventional sense anyway.

There's plenty of theories around that Peter Prodromou has dropped them in it, but surely if that was the case you'd wait until Melbourne, not give them a 3 month head start to fix it. There's been no footage or rumours, as there has been in the past, so why the out-of-the-blue DQ? In light of an absence of evidence I suspect they've just erred the slightly the wrong side of the deflection tests myself.
I've been saying about the Williams wing all weekend, I've not noticed rbr flexing tbh.

Force India boss has just slated them on Twitter.

From what others are saying it is a spring and they will remove it for the race. They have probably got away with it all year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 10:57PM by marcl.
Date: November 22, 2014 11:01PM
marcl
They have probably got away with it all year.

Unlikely when there have been at least half a dozen wing deflection tests each weekend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 11:21PM by gav.
I think there is a lot more to this than we are being told tbh. For all we know they past the test but the song was then found to be illegal.

It took hours to dq them and from what's been said only rbr was checked. They have been checked all weekend and it was found on both cars, so how did it pass Thursday and Friday but not today?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 11:23PM by marcl.
Date: November 22, 2014 11:23PM
marcl
It took hours to dq them and from what's been said only rbr was checked. They have been checked all weekend and it was found on both cars.

Source?
The rbr press release says only their cars were tested.

It's all over Twitter but am on an app so cannot post direct here, will look and tell you who posted what. But it's meant to be both cars. Will do it tomorrow if you want as am about to get some sleep, sorry.

Quali finished at 1pm and the were not dq until about 5pm that's after the 2 hour limit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2014 11:32PM by marcl.
Date: November 23, 2014 12:29AM
Well, apparently the wings of Vettel, Ricciardo, Rosberg, Raikkonen, Alonso, Massa, Button, Kvyat, Hamilton and Bottas were all checked.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, apparently the wings of Vettel, Ricciardo,
> Rosberg, Raikkonen, Alonso, Massa, Button, Kvyat,
> Hamilton and Bottas were all checked.

Yep, that's correct.

Red Bull broke the rules, and have been penalised accordingly. The other teams didn't, and hence haven't been penalised. That's it.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Yeah just read that too.

So why is Horner making out it was just them tested then and singled out?
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah just read that too.
>
> So why is Horner making out it was just them
> tested then and singled out?

Because it's Christian Horner. He even complains when the team is winning.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
Yeah well it's made quiet a few people on Twitter and me to sound like idiots as we were commenting on stuff that's not true.

Also notice it was only the teams not moaning about money that were tested
"A big F1 team who says we shouldn't bring bananas to a gun fight grabs the money and cheats on the regulations" - Vijay Mallya.

And it's true.

I'm sick of Christian and his BS. He's now pushing for new engines in 2016. Sorest loser ever.

Grow a pair.
Well done lewis right man won.

Feel a bit bad for nico but lewis was ahead anyway and there is a bit of karma there for Monaco and spa.

Not a great race at all.

Well done to Williams both drivers and to Dan r great drive.
I guess congratulations are in order for Hamilton. A deserved championship, I think it's fair to say.

Nico is a class act though. He could have given up at any point, but he dragged that broken car to the finish. He'll be back, I'm sure. I hope so.

Great drive from Felipe, and a special mention to Will Stevens for getting that Caterham to the end.

Date: November 23, 2014 04:21PM
Congrats to Hamilton. Went out and won it in style. Definitely the deserving champion.

Shame it went that way for Rosberg, but he dealt with it maturely and I expect gained quite a bit of respect.

Credit to Mercedes too, not just for building an incredible machine, but for their managing what were, at times, a couple of petulant children.

Bring on 2015.
Definitely the right result, it would have looked exceedingly daft to have been the stonger driver in wheel to wheel combat all year, winning 11 races to 5 (or whatever) and still loose the championship and so.. on that basis Hamilton deserved to win this championship.

But good karma? I'm sorry but what nonsense. Both drivers played the game this year and both gave it their all and thank heavens that they did because they gave us a championship battle that ultimately went down to the last race even if since Singapore onwards it was never really in doubt that Hamilton would prevail.

Monaco and Spa, may continue to make Rosberg look bad, but they were moments born out of Hamilton's overall agressive demeanour.. and I'm sorry, but for Rosberg to take that car across the line in the state that it was today was a drive from the heart of a true racer. He was never going to accept that the championship was gone until it was gone. Like him or loathe him, that was one hell of a statement.

I have to admit, I have a smile on my face thanks to a double podium for Williams. Massa definitely gave it full whelly and kept the race tension alive until the end even though Hamilton must have had it all under control with pace in reserve, and it was nice to see Bottas recover from another shoddy start to finish the year with yet another podium and retake fourth in the championship. Who would have thought this time last year that Vettel and Alonso would end up being out pointed by a Williams? (B)

As ever, another typically strong drive by Ricciardo, for me he's been one of the, it not the best driver of the year, convincingly beating Vettel yet again and if we flashback one year again who would have dared imagine that Mr nine wins in a row wouldn't win a single race this year? Why I don't think we've seen the finger all season.

It seems to be a shame to think that Button has probably raced in his last Grand Prix, there were no heroics from today but it's been a strong end to the year from him. He's done his talking on the track and recently it's been saying "I'm beating Magussen and Alonso". There's no doubt that Alonso's deal is done, and although he's doubtlessly the best overall driver in F1, I can't help but feel that McLaren would be better off keeping Button as lead driver, Magussen as understudy and Vandoorne as waiting in the wings for when Button finally retired. I sense Alonso will run McLaren into the ground.

I did respect nico today for carrying on and to drive the car home, seeing he had problems with the engine brakes etc it was brave and his statement after the race was nice.

Merc next year really do need to get on top of the problems.
Congratulations for Hamilton, he did awesome this season and I've really really surprised that he won the Drivers Championship. Great job for Mercedes, dominating the whole F1 this season and it was a great pleasure that the Mercedes had a best engine in the world, and also they got a pole record with Mercedes-Benz engine. Wow. That was really quick.

Well, it's that time of the year and a great great farewell for Seb, finished 8th, but I'm not sad for him because I like him very much that he leave and it's good for me to see. I wish him best of luck for Ferrari and get back-to-back winning championships. For this year, it's a tough season for Seb, first win-less this season since his debut season in 2007.

Alonso either, he did a good season for Ferrari which is the best thing in Hungary, he could'a almost won there by holding Hamilton, Ricciardo and Nico. Well his first win-less this season since 2009. Hopefully he could take that victory for McLaren.

And I'm sorry for Nico he could finish on points but yeah there was relief and he didn't, got a lot of problems on his car, ERS problems anyway and yeah that's too bad. Hope he could take another chance for a championship.

Well as I've said that this year has got better than last year, Alonso and Vettel had first win-less this season, but it's a shame, life and yeah they have to face tougher times. It is normally that you have to give them to someone a championship win.

This year, it was boring, but I know it's Mercedes, they could manage to take every race wins and poles, this year it's impossible for 10 teams.

Bring it on 2015! And 2014 thanks for the great year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy