The 2014 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2014 Formula One Season
Date: May 14, 2014 01:33PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Toot toot!!

I have to say, from the front it looks hilariously bad. Like a massive French horn bolted onto the back.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: May 14, 2014 01:51PM
Posted by: Frantic
Looks like they've found a place for the vuvuzelas used in the last world cup as they wouldn't bringing them to Brazil

Date: May 15, 2014 01:40PM
Posted by: EC83
HONK HONK!

A Vuvuzela exhaust actually sounds like it'd be pretty cool.

Date: May 15, 2014 02:05PM
A low droning buzzing. No thanks.

Those damn things were the icing on the cake of what was a terrible last WC. Unless you're Spanish ;)

Date: May 16, 2014 01:16PM
Posted by: gareth
Apparently it's a lot to do with how the air/sound goes in, rather than how it comes out: willthef1journo.wordpress.com
Date: June 21, 2014 11:33AM
Posted by: xSilvermanx
So apparentely they are going to throw the full-course yellow after crashes, then, when everything is finished, they throw the red and restart the complete race. Yeah, that's a good idea. Or is it a joke and I didn't get it?
Date: June 21, 2014 11:55AM
Posted by: gav
Nope, that's apparently what the proposal is. I'm sure there's a reason for continuing to trundle around behind the safety car before throwing the red, but it's not come to me yet. While it is the most dangerous part of the race, a late restart could have unparalleled levels of "woah", so yeah, in principle I like the idea, but it needs tweaking to remove the needless running.
Date: June 21, 2014 04:01PM
That is ridiculous. Just get rid of the Safety Car and shut down the race track with Red Flag for every incident that once was a Safety Car and change the rule to get standing starts after Red Flag. Include two types of Red Flag, type A and type B. Type B is the Red Flag-ruleset as it is now without a change. Red Flag type A replaces the Safety Car for short Red Flag-durations. For each 3 minutes (or stuff, depending on the length of the track; can very well be what the Safety Car is driving per lap) a lap of the race distance is deducted.
Just gets rid of the stupid situation where the field is behind the SC ready for Restart... and then they all stop. Yeah, the Safety Car was introduced to keep the cars from having to stop whenever there is a bigger accident and now they are detracting that most important feature from the Safety Car. Well done, FIA...
Date: June 21, 2014 04:42PM
I think the idea is that it allows lapped cars to unlap themselves, so we might not have to wait until the track is clear for them to line up on the grid, just long enough to get the order sorted properly.

Of course you can't just push a lapped car back on the grid as they would have a lap less than everyone else to do, and while it's highly unlikely that would affect the end result, you can't just assume that.
Date: June 21, 2014 08:10PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
*standing restarts after safety cars*
*more safety cars due to incidents on restarts*
*flow of race ruined*

Utter bull***, this proposal is a disgrace, as is the talk about mid-stage pitstops in WRC (N)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: June 21, 2014 11:25PM
gav schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the idea is that it allows lapped cars to
> unlap themselves, so we might not have to wait
> until the track is clear for them to line up on
> the grid, just long enough to get the order sorted
> properly.
>
> Of course you can't just push a lapped car back on
> the grid as they would have a lap less than
> everyone else to do, and while it's highly
> unlikely that would affect the end result, you
> can't just assume that.

Actually you very well could, gav. Just feature a rule that will add one lap to the total of the pushed back cars and you have no problem anymore. Even if there is one car that is two laps down, it can win one lap. Just check for the first person to be lapped by the leader. Let him overtake (push him back to the end of the grid and add one lap), then take the one that is down one position. Doing it this way means a guy who is two laps down will only overtake when the rest of the other guys already gained one lap. No unfair advantage done, same system as now with the Safety Car. Only you don't need a SC anymore.
This idea is ridiculous. Just FIA saying "we need more interesting races. Any ideas? ... Nah, we can't limit costs, so we won't push that idea as much as we can [no, they don't]. But how about featuring more standing starts?"
Only thing missing now is a competition caution, AFAIK they exist in American Racing and are used in case of tyre problems. Don't know what to think about them for NASCAR and IndyCar because I don't follow these series as closely but FIA can't use them for F1.
Date: June 21, 2014 11:53PM
xSilvermanx
Actually you very well could, gav. Just feature a rule that will add one lap to the total of the pushed back cars and you have no problem anymore.
Nope. They will have more fuel and one lap less on tyres. As I said it's highly unlikely to make a difference, but we've had results in F1 with only 3 drivers crossing the line (just 2 decades ago). If it was just sport then that might fly, but you're talking about tens of millions of dollars for points at stake, so it can make a difference. We like to think of this as a sport, with our favourite drivers or teams, but potentially it can mean families without an income.

In such sports you can not assume.
Date: June 22, 2014 08:54AM
Well, then let them drive under Red Flag. Shouldn't be too much of a problem either, the start of the installation lap will be with possible holes in the field but the restart of the race can very well be without one, if the drivers just drive to the grid position, which is their position in the race as well.
Date: June 22, 2014 09:52AM
Posted by: J i m
I don't think we really need standing starts after safety car periods.

To be honest, I think they're looking at improving the show from completely the wrong angle. The races are pretty good as they are, they really don't need much more gimmickry.

If they want improve things for the fans, then they need to look at the value. It's simply not good value to attend a Grand Prix, a weekend general admission ticket for a Grand Prix is beginning to push on to £200. At Le Mans the same ticket costs under £70 and also includes the test day as well. The value difference is massive.

I'm not blaming the circuits.. I imagine the FOM and Bernie take a massive slice of pie.. but it would be a massive start to improving the "show" if the value issue was looked into.

Date: June 22, 2014 04:36PM
It would just create more situations like Magny Cours 1992, when a race is stopped for no good reason. I like the excitement of a standing start, but stopping races unnecessarily would just overcomplicate it. Fair enough in situations like Monaco 2011, when the track is blocked etc, but stopping a race whenever there's an SC? No thanks. That would be false.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 04:38PM by EC83.
Date: June 23, 2014 01:01AM
@Jim I'm pretty sure that each of the circuits keep all of their gate receipts, but they make nothing aside from that, with advertisement sold and dealt with by FOM.

When you are paying sometimes upwards of £20,000,000 for the right to host a F1 GP, then you've got to make up those costs somehow, hence ticket prices bring so high.

My personal opinion on the intro of standing starts is that it's ridiculous. It simply serves to break up races, rather than increasing excitement.

F1 has a dreadful identity problem right now that it simply needs to fix. There is actually very little wrong with the spectacle of the sport.

What is wrong is the fact that the F1 Strategy Group, a body made up of Mercedes, Red Bull, Ferrari, Williams and also Lotus, is dictating the policy making of the sport.

A cost cap? Gone. Standing starts, artificial sparks and megaphone exhausts to boost the volume of the new engines, all in from 2015 onwards.

Date: June 23, 2014 04:10AM
Posted by: Frantic
The intro of standing starts its simply stupid for today. I think races would be decided on the aggregate times of both parts of the race, one per start. Maybe that wasnt so bad 30 years ago when even the team and drivers didnt knew how many fuel they had in their cars, but today with all the information the spectator has to handle (as % of fuel left for each driver, who is in DRS zone who is not what tyres are using etc.) would confuse them even more.

Artificial ways of recreating past time aren´t good, as we all want pure racing, not an approach of what races used to be many years ago. We have youtube for that ;)

if they want real sparks they should get rid of skid blocks, something impossible as they would compromise the drivers´safety. Putting metal skid blocks and make artificial sparks make cars look more like a scalextric than like a 90s f1 car...

if they want pure racing they have to get rid of DRS because it eliminates a lot of spectacle. Just imagine the fight Schumacher and the others could have delivered in 2011 in canada when he was 2nd in the Merc and he couldnt do nothing to hold the red bulls.

I think the 2 keys to go back to a more pure form of racing are 1. generating more mechanical grip instead of having the still high dependency of aerodynamical grip we have today. How? Bigger wheels, wider cars. 2. Bringing back competence! Let the teams choose the tyre supplier they want, not forcing cars to use the 2 compounds in the race. i dont say bringing back refuelling because safety issues but it would be a good option too. Get rid of engine freezing too... that things made F1 lose its place as the pinnacle of motorsports, and F1 will not be the pinnacle of motorsport with artificial sparks an vuvuzela exhausts

Date: July 02, 2014 04:26PM
Posted by: marcl
So Caterham have been sold to the idiot Colin Kolles, they probably wont be around much longer with him running things.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

They will probably try and use the same car for the next 10 years and just run the team into the ground.

Then when things get tough try and blackmail other team bosses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 04:27PM by marcl.
Date: July 02, 2014 07:47PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
marcl Wrote:
> So Caterham have been sold to the idiot Colin
> Kolles, they probably wont be around much longer
> with him running things.
>
> [www.bbc.co.uk]
>
> They will probably try and use the same car for
> the next 10 years and just run the team into the
> ground.
>
> Then when things get tough try and blackmail other
> team bosses.

Firstly, the team was sold to Swiss and Middle Eastern investors and NOT Kolles himself. Kolles only acted as an advisor in the sale.

Secondly, Kolles is no idiot. He had absolutely no money whatsoever to work with at HRT, and managed to keep them alive when most expected them to go belly-up. Only when he left the team before 2012 did things start to go belly up. The "using the same car" is a bit of a misinterpretation; the HRT chassis was the same for their cars, granted, but that's only the monocoque itself. Most of the bodywork had been updated, as had the internals. Force India until recently were still using the old Jordan monocoque, for example.

Please get your facts straight in future.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: July 02, 2014 09:41PM
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Force India until recently were still using the
> old Jordan monocoque, for example.

How recently, out of interest? The 2013 VJM06 was supposedly a complete redesign of the previous car, is that when the transition happened?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 09:45PM by EC83.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy