FAI kills F1 again

Posted by davegp4 
FAI kills F1 again
Date: March 25, 2013 02:30AM
Posted by: davegp4
so why don't they fill the tanks, let the drivers choose tyres & let them race like real race drivers do?
if the car has a problem they can let the driver know but as for saving fuel what a stupid rule!(N)
I liked what vettel did (raced) but wrong on marks behalf (team rule at present)
thank god for GP4(H)(Y)
Re: FAI kills F1 again
Date: March 25, 2013 02:40AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Can't blame FIA for Hamilton running low on fuel, Mercedes just went too aggressive with their fuel load at the start of the race.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 25, 2013 03:45AM
why not have more fuel to start with?(I)
Date: March 25, 2013 07:53AM
Posted by: gav
Because it's faster to start the race without enough fuel to get to the end, then in quieter moments of the race to turn the engine mode down and eek up the mileage.

Clearly it wasn't faster for Hamilton yesterday as the "race was faster than we expected". I guess they expected the track to dry slower or more rain during the race.
Date: March 25, 2013 01:31PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
and nico was on another level yesterday. Every time he was out of pits around 4-6 seconds behind hamilton and gained the time in later in the stint.

Not only fia destroys racing, stupid nerds with goggles, such as Ross Brawn and helmut Marko contribute to the KILL of racing too. how can ross possibly say to nico that there is nothing to race for ?? Webber was about 4 seconds ahead at one point. What a shame. What a disgrace. From team's perspective they could have only gained more points. Nico 3rd Lewis 4-th or the other way around always equals 27 pts. for BAR. However, if nico had been allowed to pass, he could have challenged for even more points. I liked Ross, now I cant bear him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 01:40PM by mitadumapaga.
Date: March 25, 2013 01:52PM
Posted by: marcl
Nico would not have got much further up the road, he was also low on fuel not as low as Lewis though but Lewis was trying to race the RBR cars Nico was not.

Am sure had Merc has a car closer to them they would have let Nico pass.

I think this whole start with less fuel thing as its faster is catch 22. How can it be faster if you have to slow down later on. Lewis was right up with Webber before he had to back off.
Date: March 25, 2013 02:27PM
Posted by: senninho
Hold on, are all of these things sudden changes that have never happened before?

Fuel saving happened throughout the 80s and into the early 90s.
Tyre management was only not a consideration when Ferrari levered Bridgestone into tyres that could be pushed hard for an entire stint. 2005 is an exception here.
Team orders have *always* been around, apart from the few years in the 00s when they were 'banned'.

In fact, all of these things were a regular part of racing in the 80s, and i don't think I'm alone in saying that some of the sport's most exciting battles took place in that decade.

Without poor tyre management, the 86 season finale would have been pretty dull.
Without mistakes in fuel calculations, we wouldn't have seen images like Prost crawling over the line at Imola, or Mansell oh-so-dramatically failing to push his Lotus over the line.
Without team orders, we... well, I can't say I'm too much of a fan of them either, but they still make for gripping events. What about Suzuka '97, and Irvine's awesome pass on the two Williams cars.

I suppose the point I'm making is that none of these things are new to F1, and they are actually responsible for a lot of the sport's defining moments. Having sat through the processional F1 of the late 90s and early 00s, I'm glad we have races like yesterday's.

Date: March 25, 2013 04:23PM
Posted by: Isaint
Yup! None of this stuff is particularly new to F1 but I think from the fans' point of view it's 'Short Changing again'. We want to see the people capable of winning doing exactly that.
Even if we don't support that particular team , if they have earned the posistion give it to them. Ross quoted as saying there is nothing to gain is pure bilge. Rosberg lost a podium .... is he a race driver or not?
Then let these people race.
I'm not entirely against team orders but this early in the Championship? ..... there is just no reason for it, none at all.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: March 25, 2013 05:20PM
Posted by: J i m
I think Gary has summed it up really.

And racing isn't simply about having ones foot welded to the floor until the car blows up. It never has been, never will be. There's much more to it than that. A simplistic flat out win at all costs approach may be more entertaining in many situations it may even be more heroic but it isn't definitively racing.

Date: March 25, 2013 11:34PM
well thanks people for all your great & interesting veiws on F1 at this point of the championship(Y)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy