The most successful driver line-ups... before they were successful?

Posted by flat tyre 
After googling pics of the 2001 Benetton, I found this:

Jenson Button? Nah, he's a lazy playboy (says Flavio Briatore)
Giancarlo Fisichella? He hasn't won a single race.
Fernando Alonso? He's barely an adult!
Mark Webber? Not a single GP start to his name.

At the time, this driver line-up was hardly eye catching. But, looking at it now... three of these drivers are big, big names. Fisichella was no chump, either.

What other driver line-ups have there been like this? Nothing special at the time, but in the future would turn out to be stars of the sport.

Sauber has been very good at finding good talent - I bet they have a few up their sleeve...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Fisichella had some heroic performances in that woeful Benetton. He always did look better in an average or poor car. Such a shame that he flopped when he finally got a winning car.

But yes, it would have been a brave person who'd bet that three of that quarter would be winning Grand Prix regularly in ten years time.

I love how(apart from Alonso) they don't really look any older now!
Yeah, that's a good spot.

Fisi had that mega drive in Spa if I remember rightly.

Problem was that by then he'd already signed to go the wrong way to Jordan just as their time as a front runner ended and Renault's was about to begin.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy