canada 1991

Posted by mitadumapaga 
canada 1991
Date: October 24, 2012 02:54AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
"se was passed by an impressive Stefano Modena in the Tyrrell. On the last lap Mansell led from Piquet, Modena, Patrese, de Cesaris, and Gachot when he suddenly slowed to a halt at the hairpin. It is erroneously reported that he suffered a late gearbox failure, in reality Mansell let his engine revs drop too low while he was waving to the crowd in celebration, thereby stalling the engine. "

does anybody know what the real reason for this retirement was ? thanks in advance
Re: canada 1991
Date: October 24, 2012 04:13AM
Posted by: EC83
I think it was a combination of both those things - the car was handful on low revs, and Mansell failed to allow for that while he was waving to the crowd. I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 04:15AM by EC83.
Re: canada 1991
Date: October 24, 2012 10:02AM
Posted by: senninho
From all the accounts I've read, he really did just let the revs drop too low at the hairpin - he may have been in third gear, for example, having distracted himself. Cars at this point didn't have any form of anti-stall, as Alain Prost proved in 1993 ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy