rFactor 2 Early Screenshots

Posted by DaveEllis 
Re: rFactor 2 Early Screenshots
Date: March 07, 2009 04:02AM
Posted by: matt3454
I more than likely will not be buying rFactor2 as the original was probably one of the worst base games ive played. All the standard tracks were appalling, the cars weren't too great either. The ai was shockingly poor, and there was no variable weather conditions at all.

Of course it was always said to be modding friendly, but charging £25 for a game which was essentially only half finished was quite a rip off.

Date: March 07, 2009 10:01AM
Posted by: Gené and Tonic
Interesting view. The only reason I don't play rFactor now is because:

a)it was very demanding on my PC compared to LFS or RBR, and my dad refuses to get a new one anyway

b)said pc now won't play any games due to a virus or something (if anyone knows what the 'out of bounds' screen on the moniter that comes up when you click on a game let me know!) so I have to resort to playing them on my laptop - of which only the NR2003 demo and LFS get good framerates with high graphical settings.

Having said that though, I thought it was a very good game - with the right mods. Brilliant graphics, good physics, good support from ISI, great online play. Without rFactor most of us would still be playing GP4/F1C for our F1 races I think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2009 10:03AM by Gené and Tonic.
Date: March 07, 2009 12:46PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
I will only buy it if there are massive improvements in most areas.
rfactor looks absolutely horrendous (way over-saturated and cartoon like) on my PC if anything lower than DX9 is used, which kills FPS completely.
(2.33 GHz Dual Core, 256mb radeon card)
There are many beautiful rfactor screenshots around, but for me RBR, GTR2, LFS and GP4 all look a lot better on my not-too-good rig.
The default ffb is absolutely awful, and the physics for many of the mods are horrendous. The woeful AI tops it off for me.
Plus no weather...
Date: March 23, 2009 05:14PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 23, 2009 06:20PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Oh man... classic car, classic Spa... please let this game be good out-of-the-(virtual)box!
Date: March 24, 2009 12:35PM
Posted by: senninho
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.virtualr.net]
> 54293424_1495995_2069100.jpg

Now that does look promising...

Date: March 24, 2009 07:27PM
Posted by: loren
Shadows! (Finally!)

Let's hope they've improved the AI too.
Date: June 22, 2010 02:22AM
Posted by: Slash

the oh so much requested changeable weather!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 02:23AM by Slash.
Date: June 22, 2010 08:42PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
DaveEllis Wrote:

> So if you don't want that,
> you are screwed. So what exactly are we meant to
> do with it? Hot lap?

Exactly the problem.
Date: July 15, 2010 07:30AM
Posted by: smorr
Strange how the one Panoz yet to be seen is the one that is clearly the most important one. If they tossed in the LMP-1 Roadster S I would do backflips, but they won't, yet again.

More lackluster ISI junk? I think it's time the sim community move on from this group of developers. Quite clearly they are incapable of creating content that is worth a damn. Oooo, Spa 67 with old cars?

Yes, I can guarantee GPL with it's faults will still blow that out of the water. But the ISI fanboys wont see it that way. And yes, I do think there is to much ISI fanboyism, and back in the day, Papy bashing.

Pretty sad when we need mods to make the game half way decent, and like Dave said, the racers are idiots. Meganes were the worst two minutes of my life. I'm not excited. After the way some mod groups have treated the community - and vice versa - I'm done with it. It's a sim dictated by what guy who has zero technical knowledge is going to determine what your car is going to drive like.

Works well with groups who know their junk, but outside of that, no.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: July 15, 2010 08:20AM
Those models are created by Lo^. Whilst I like Lo^, he is a nice guy, he simply hasn't really improved his skills with regards to modeling. Those cars still bear the Lo^ trademarks of overuse of bump mapping and poor normals. Whilst this is just an example, ISI as a whole isn't really moving forward. I have very little faith in rFactor 2. But I do truely hope I'm completely wrong and it turns out to be awesome. But to be awesome it needs to stop relying on user made content. Sell us a GAME this time - not a game that we'll make ourselves.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 15, 2010 11:29AM
Posted by: Dahie
I'm convinced ISI has different priorities than modders do. After all, we do a good job on the content, but this is mainly the case we can concentrate solely on content and don't have to be bothered with programming. Plus, we don't have time-constraints. This makes a lot of difference quality-wise, especially for small companies like ISI.
Still, I sometimes have the feeling, they don't use the potential they have. I'm with you there.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: July 15, 2010 11:30PM
Posted by: msater
I really wish that we could get the bare game engine, and the programmers in the community could add features (e.g. weather) to the engine. I feel the default content is good, but it needs improving a lot. Take Toban, from the original rFactor. Really really nice track, but the models, textures and pits etc are awful, IMO. If the community could upgrade these tracks to a Virtua_LM or The Lonely/SLN quality track, I'd absolutely love it.

Going back to my 'bare game engine' idea, it would also be brilliant if it was open source, allowing us all to get our hands dirty (:D) and add features or get features added that we'd like to see, or the community as a whole would like to see (e.g better menu's in rFactor, better AI), not features that ISI would like to see.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 18, 2010 12:56PM
Posted by: msater
So, what we know about rF2 already:

Some kind of mod management
Weather (Rain, snow, wind)
Slipstreaming effects
Some kind of Active Track Technology, like Codemasters
Everything self shadows
Current rFactor mods need to be refined and things added to make them work with rF2
The Graphics engine has had refinements
Improved netcode
Hopefully a 2010 release
Some kind of qualifying editor thing

All in all it looks awesome!

Source: VirtualR and the comments thread where Scott Juliano has told a lot about the game: [www.virtualr.net]

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 19, 2010 01:39AM
I can already see the conversion of mods that were converted to rF1 (without any improvement) from F1C that were converted from GP4. Or F1 2002 stuff converted to F1C...
Date: August 22, 2010 10:47AM
Posted by: Dahie
msater schrieb:
> I really wish that we could get the bare game
> engine, and the programmers in the community could
> add features (e.g. weather) to the engine. I feel
> the default content is good, but it needs
> improving a lot. Take Toban, from the original
> rFactor. Really really nice track, but the models,
> textures and pits etc are awful, IMO. If the
> community could upgrade these tracks to a
> Virtua_LM or The Lonely/SLN quality track, I'd
> absolutely love it.
>
> Going back to my 'bare game engine' idea, it would
> also be brilliant if it was open source, allowing
> us all to get our hands dirty (:D) and add
> features or get features added that we'd like to
> see, or the community as a whole would like to see
> (e.g better menu's in rFactor, better AI), not
> features that ISI would like to see.

The game engine is the only big asset ISI has in my opinion. They will never give them out.
And even if they'd do, I wouldn't know in what state it is and how easy it would be to build upon it.
And thirdly, I'm not sure how many people the community actually has to make something out of it.

On another thought, there are open source games in development like [www.speed-dreams.org]
Imho, there is alot of potential, especially if modding groups would take on such a game and "form" it to their needs in collaboration with the developers.
It's a win-win situation for both, as the modders get a customized game and the developers content and invaluable input on the game development. The only disadvantage right now is, that the physics and graphics development can't compete with racing game engines that grew over the past 10 years.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: August 22, 2010 10:50AM
rFactor is a mess in the state it's in. Give it out in a more bare state and it'd be a complete disaster.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 23, 2010 07:36AM
Due to rF 1 experiences and what we know so far of rF 2, there's a 0.01% chance of me buying this.
Date: August 23, 2010 11:40AM
Posted by: Morbid
This is a study in the more ridiculous side of humanity.

iRacing pissed the community in the face, and ended up getting lauded by a crowd of rabid fanatics.

For years the community begged, pleaded and cajoled ISI to make "just an engine" and let the community sort everything else out. They delivered exactly that, and are subsequently berated for it.

Developers are paying a lot of attention. Voting with your cash gets the message across very well because livelihoods depend on it.

Those who's livelihood depends on your vote are also paying attention and also get the message.

Make no mistake, you teach people how to treat you, and if you want something good later in life, this is an awful message to send.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2010 11:41AM by Morbid.
Date: August 23, 2010 12:33PM
If they'd supplied "just the engine" then we wouldn't even have rFactor. The rFactor community can't organise mods between themselves without it becoming a massive fight, can you imagine if you actually let them make a game? This is before you talk about all the massive short comings the engine they supplied has.

For me, rFactor was a great experiment, but it failed. Maybe not ISIs fault, but it failed. Online is a joke, offline is a joke. It is a modding platform that is good at hot lapping. rFactor 2 needs to come with proper content if they want me to buy it. Relying on user content sounds like a great idea, but turned out to be terrible. What we need is the good mix of stock and addon content. SCGT just happened to be perfect for it, especially for its age. A modern SCGT? I'd be all over that like flies on sh*t.

Give me good AI, a better netcode and lobby, and content I can play with when the community just goes back to converting crap and screwing up physics. Then we'll talk.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy