One month of iRacing plus the Skip Barber for free - [iracing.com]

Reference emai: daveellis0808@gmail.com :p

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: iRacing
Date: March 06, 2011 04:16PM
Posted by: chet
Well silly me didnt take addvantage of that offer Dave.

Ive just bought a 1 month subscription to try out... at about £8 its what, 2-3 beers :p? so no loss really! Still, will be a gamepad user. Ive come to be pretty okay with one for LFS so i hope it'll do

edit - is there a way I can change my car number :p? Updates are just downloading now!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2011 04:55PM by chet.
Date: March 06, 2011 11:26PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Car number in practice is always 64. Car number in sessions is assigned by the server. In a race, the lower your number the better. Best driver in the race is 1, second is 2, etc.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 07, 2011 12:23AM
Ah I see! So far i think ive found a love for the legend cars! Only driven the mx5 and legend cars enough to judge but so far its every bit as awesome as id expected.

Setup change is amazing in terms of how little changes have big effects! An example being with the legend car around Boston oval, it was sideways all the time, but with a slight tyre pressure change it understeer'd horribly! Hopefully get more of a chance to play tomorrow, certainly with a gamepad road courses are difficult (braking!), but the ovals seem okay.

That reminds me, is there a way to change the brake pressure? or make the brake axis less sensitive?

Date: March 07, 2011 12:16PM
Not in game unfortunately, it isn't really designed for digital controllers. You'd be better looking into the gamepad software to see what options it has.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 07, 2011 04:52PM
Ah okay!

Just for reference, when I do get a wheel, it will be a mid-range one. Any you could recommend with a long brake pedal/one that produces some sort of resistance when you push it? Or will I be looking to get a pretty good wheel for them features?

Date: March 07, 2011 05:40PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Chetson, I've read of people putting things from tennis/rubberballs to rolled socks under the brake pedal, to increase tension as you push more.

About wheels, I had started a topic with wheels for people to suggest in this same forum, but it never took off. Nonetheless it still has a few names and their price ranges should be similar even in the UK.
Date: March 08, 2011 01:00AM
It depends what is mid-range to an individual really. If the professional wheels are considered top, Fanatec high, Logitech mid, nd generic cheap stuff as low, then I'd recommend a Logitech G27 (or G25 if you find a significant price gap), but it might be a bit expensive. That does have a much harder brake pedal.

I haven't watched this yet, but this is probably worth a watch. It's a little rough on the presentation but it'll show you what's out there. Keep in mind that the general rules are

Logitech - solid, may have pot issues with the pedals in a few years. Easy to fix if you can hold a screwdriver without accidently stabbing yourself in the eye
Thrustmaster - it'll probably break.
Fanatec - Teething issues. Customer support is almost non-existant.

Edit: AFAIK the PS3 wheels such as the Logitech DFPs, work on the PC too.

Edit2: Watching it now. They are very harsh on the lower end wheels. Yes the DFPs, DFGT and Momo are never going to be amazing quality, but they are less than half the price of the upper Logitech wheels, so it's harsh to call them rubbish etc. Budget is what they are.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2011 01:10AM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 08, 2011 03:00AM
I've been far more pleased with the DFGT than I've ever been with the MOMO Racing, only fault (besides pedals being like the MOMO) is not having paddle shifters, it has something in the back that's like a shifter that's lost its wings :P.
Date: March 08, 2011 08:33AM
Posted by: gav
I don't think I can comment on the pedals on the MOMO Racing (as I remember, I'd bought some BRD pedals by then), but the wheel itself was fine. Not quite a tight as the excellent MOMO Force it had replaced (which cost a heck of a lot more), but it was still very solid and reliable, despite me buying it second hand. Considering I used it to great effect in the VTR endurance races (including doing 10 continuous hours at Watkins Glen) and the endless practice that went with it, I think it stood up well!

Chet, have a trawl of Ebay, and if you find a G25 with some broken pedals at a knock-down price give me a shout - the pedals from my G25 are virtually unused (I still use my BRD ones with the G25 wheel) and I'd be happy to send them over. :)
Date: March 09, 2011 12:25AM
Thanks for the offer Gav, but it will be a few months yet... once ive done my final exams and have time for a part-time job, ill hopefully get a full subscription and wheel and pedals.

This game is so frustrating too! I just got knocked out of the lead, only went down to 6th (i think!) then a car in front spun and it was unavoidable :(. Before I was pounding round testing offline (well not on a server) but ive realized practising with the other players is much better, just following other drivers ive learnt quite alot!

Date: March 09, 2011 04:42PM
The rookie series suck. No SR system will cure stupidity, but it will keep them down there. When your iRating gets better you'll get placed in higher splits with better drivers.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 09, 2011 07:33PM
Is the rating based on race performance or a combo of race and qualifying.

Also, how are crashes judged? Like if there was an unavoidable accident, how will that effect my rating, or if I cause an avoidable incident? I suspect until I get full membership I shouldn't really take much notice, I guess the important thing is learning the cars...

Date: March 09, 2011 07:35PM
Posted by: Nickv
The iRating is only based on your race.

The crashes are judged as having a crash. Intention, fault, avoidability, none of them are taken into account.
Date: March 09, 2011 08:07PM
Posted by: gav
But if you're a decent driver who doesn't cause crashes yourself you will naturally progress above those who do cause accidents. Qualifying can help too - the further up the grid you are, the less likely you are to be caught up in any accident.
Date: March 09, 2011 08:14PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But if you're a decent driver who doesn't cause
> crashes yourself you will naturally progress above
> those who do cause accidents. Qualifying can help
> too - the further up the grid you are, the less
> likely you are to be caught up in any accident.

From Neil's posts, lapping's just as bad :P
Date: July 28, 2011 03:53PM
Posted by: Fergy
For me that's the biggest let down with iracing not have a full board of F1 tracks and being able to run an authentic season. Your right it could be fantastic, what a shame Codeblasters has hold of the licence.
Date: August 18, 2011 01:17PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
iRacing doesnt need the licence to have a "F1" Season as such.

Already has 2 formula 1 cars, and a "grand Prix" season.

If it had more F1 Tracks it would be good, they have 3 current circuits and another 2 that have been used in the last 20 years... (wow that seems like along time ago!)
Silverstone
Suzuka
Spa Francorchamps

Indianapolis
Okayama

Then not to mention Tracks that were run on

Mosport
Zandvoort
Watkins glen

There is some decent tracks there to make a great 12 week schedual. I know its not a 18 Race season of F1's in the current tracks, but its not bad.

Its just a shame No one drives the F1 in iRacing nowdays anyway.

and to flip completly around....

Oh and 10 days till my membership expires. YAY :D

Date: September 28, 2011 10:22PM
A little big up to iRacing support here.

I recently found myself more than ever busy with other commitments, and had no time to enjoy the simulation. I bought a 3 month subscription on offer as 1month. I was able to enjoy it for less than a week due to my short sightedness!!!

I completely forgot to uncheck the auto-renew, and this month I have found myself in tight financial circumstances. Next thing I know my account get's renewed leaving with me with lets say pennies (literally!!). I contacted iRacing, telling them off the situation, and being honest, admitting I forgot, and the error was 100% my fault. After two email conversations, within 48 hours of submitting the initial email I have had a reply informing my account will be credited with the correct amount, and if not I have been given a direct email to contact them on to solve the issue. What sold it was my activity log was proof of my lack of time on the sim.

Well I am delighted with that and certainly when time (and money!!) allows I will be an iRacing user once again! I made sure they realized I was more than pleased with the simulation, and their customer support after this. Cant imagine EA doing such a thing, and within such a short time period.

For example, I required a new rf install code. I emailed them telling them I had used all my unlock codes, it took 2 weeks for them to acknowledge me!

So a giant (Y) for iRacing!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy