Date: October 05, 2009 07:21PM
Posted by: alless84
msater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone think the iRacing guys should get the F1
> license?
>
> I'm not saying it will, (quite the opposite) but
> it would be totally amazing if they did!

im happy whit the codemasters, im sure they will manage that good, for sure in fun factor and thats what i need, dont want to pay montly fee for something like iracing. game is ok but not for that money, for others if they like they should have it, no problem whit them.
Re: iRacing
Date: October 05, 2009 08:23PM
Posted by: msater
alless84 Wrote:
> im happy whit the codemasters, im sure they will
> manage that good, for sure in fun factor and thats
> what i need, dont want to pay montly fee for
> something like iracing. game is ok but not for
> that money, for others if they like they should
> have it, no problem whit them.

The problem with that is, I don't think Codies will make a game everyone can play. And by that I don't mean the driving side of things. By that I mean hardware specs.

I have an average PC. But I bought DiRT the other week, and it's told me I need a new graphics card to play it. Now my GPU is far from perfect, but I should be able to play a game with any hardware, providing it's not ancient. My PC is only 2 years old. It is not a gaming PC, but I can play rFactor is medium settings without any problems.

So if Codies do make a game like DiRT, I will be for sure checking my PC can play it before I buy the game. And if I can't, it's back to my local PC shop for a couple of upgrades. :)

Anyway, back to iRacing and my previous question, at the bottom of page 11. ;)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2009 08:23PM by msater.
Date: October 05, 2009 09:41PM
Posted by: smorr
msater Wrote:
> Anyone think the iRacing guys should get the F1
> license?
>
> I'm not saying it will, (quite the opposite) but
> it would be totally amazing if they did!

Actually, kinda sorta. Keep in mind that F1 racing isn't my thing when it comes to games/sims, but let me explain.

First off, they would only likely get one car, which could be done. I would think if you license it with the manufacturer of the car you could get past it, so long as you don't call it an F1 car, similar to what they have with the 79. So that I don't think is a reason for a no.

However, the way they make the cars requires a boatload of data, which means that it will be next to impossible for them to get anything recent. Perhaps something from ~2004 would be the newest car we could possibly see, even then it's iffy. You also run into the fact that those cars are VERY computer driven. To my knowledge there is no TC (Then again the Solstice does have ABS as the car does), and if so there is no switching settings, no different engine maps, your simply going to miss alot of things that make the actual cars special. F1 car's are just so unique that to do it to iRacing's level it would almost require a whole new platform to work off of. Not to mention you'd only have one car, while it sorta works for the 79, there isn't a modern car that legendary and revolutionary since the MP4/4, perhaps the FW18. While I think something like a FW18 would be cool, it's just not practical. Even if they could get something such as a license and required data for say, the FW18, you still have no infrastructure behind it at this moment.

Like I mentioned earlier, I do think that it would be possible with one of the smaller teams (Such as Williams) but it just won't happen.

Right now the closest thing to a car like that would be the Star Mazda (Basically a F3 equivalent). The 79 would be a different beast than a modern F1 car. Going from a Mazda to a F1 car would be absolutely insane. Tracks aren't in place yet for a series like that. As you likely know iRacing is currently VERY US centric in it's racing, and a modern F1 car around a track like Lime Rock or Sebring (;) Imagine the bumps!) just won't work. They are working on more of the European tracks, but I don't think we'll see it.

And I do recall seeing somewhere something about that they want to go more in the sports car ladder right now (Which would be confirmed by the C6R, Ford GT and the GT500 that are coming eventually). I think it's MUCH more likely we would see a LMP before a modern F1 (And by LMP I mean perhaps a customer Lola, or even a Formula Le Mans car, as they do like single car series, no?)

TL;DR, I wouldn't mind it, but for it to be done there would be just to much that needs to change.

And why I'm here.... Anyone know when the other GT cars are going to come? I'm guessing mid to late next season if not after that, but anyone have more concrete info?

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: October 06, 2009 04:29AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Williams made a deal with Codemasters to appear in Race Driver 3 (when the F1 deal was still with Sony), so it definitely is possible for teams to have separate deals outside the official one.

A McLaren deal would be excellent though, and possibly one of the more likely ones to occur.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 06, 2009 10:08AM
Posted by: alless84
msater Wrote:
> alless84 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > im happy whit the codemasters, im sure they
> will
> > manage that good, for sure in fun factor and
> thats
> > what i need, dont want to pay montly fee for
> > something like iracing. game is ok but not for
> > that money, for others if they like they should
> > have it, no problem whit them.
>
> The problem with that is, I don't think Codies
> will make a game everyone can play. And by that I
> don't mean the driving side of things. By that I
> mean hardware specs.
>
> I have an average PC. But I bought DiRT the other
> week, and it's told me I need a new graphics card
> to play it. Now my GPU is far from perfect, but I
> should be able to play a game with any hardware,
> providing it's not ancient. My PC is only 2 years
> old. It is not a gaming PC, but I can play rFactor
> is medium settings without any problems.
>
> So if Codies do make a game like DiRT, I will be
> for sure checking my PC can play it before I buy
> the game. And if I can't, it's back to my local PC
> shop for a couple of upgrades. :)
>
> Anyway, back to iRacing and my previous question,
> at the bottom of page 11. ;)

yea i know what u mean but alot new games are pushing us to upgrade our pcs now, that was allways so.
i will have to do upgrade it to but there is time, pc version is coming next year so i have alot of time to do that. if i think 2 wekkend not going out und i have new grafic card, 2 more and new processor is here, hehe. that could be done in like 1 year.
I can imagine those f1 will need even more than dirt 2 in case of pcs becase of all animations, cars and tracks they do in good quality. but lets wait and see what will come.
Date: October 07, 2009 08:31AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Some circuit detail shots.

Concord

Darlington

Daytona back stretch

Daytona tri oval.

Irwindale.

Lanier. The low detail circuit to the top right is Road Atlanta.

Milwaukee.

Oxford.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 07, 2009 08:32AM
And iRacing will not be getting a modern F1 car. They have said recently they struggled to get technical information from Pratt and Miller about the Corvette C6.R, despite it now being an unused customer car. Getting technical info from an F1 team is not going to happen.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 08, 2009 03:07PM
Posted by: sasjag
Plus they're @#$%& at modelling aero

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 10, 2009 10:39AM

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 10, 2009 11:04AM
Posted by: msater
Well, I got a free trial of iRacing for a month. And I can safely say, that when my free trial ends, I will definitely be renewing my subscription! This game/simulation is stunning! I'll show some screenies of what I've been driving and on what track soon! ;)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: October 10, 2009 12:16PM
Posted by: Peat
ooh! Zanvoort!

IRacing is a great sim, no doubt. But it all comes down to cost.....

Date: October 10, 2009 12:50PM
Yup. At the end of the day it costs too much for 90% of the audience.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 10, 2009 09:10PM
msater Wrote:
> Well, I got a free trial of iRacing for a month.
> And I can safely say, that when my free trial
> ends, I will definitely be renewing my
> subscription! This game/simulation is stunning!
> I'll show some screenies of what I've been driving
> and on what track soon! ;)

Good on ya! Too many people judged this one and resign it to a no without even trying it.

Date: October 11, 2009 03:43AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
There's also the fact they destroyed the nr2003 community and would have done so to the gpl community without so much as a blink of an eye had they still the rights.

Perhaps people could show a bit more integrity?

H E L L O
Date: October 11, 2009 08:11AM
Well they destroyed NR2003 modding, but the community is still fine. All of the big sites still exist, and there is still as many car sets as you can chose from for every year and series you could imagine.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 11, 2009 10:07AM
Posted by: gav
They also assisted in correcting some of the mistakes and physics bugs in the GTP mod (which is one of the reasons it was pulled for a few weeks). Some bugs still exist, but it was a lot more polished after they had their way with it.

A bit of a pacifier for the NR2003 fans I suspect.

Not ideal, but given they were just about to start out with a blank sheet in terms of simulation philosophy, I could understand why they wanted to minimise the risks they could.
Date: October 13, 2009 06:17AM
I'll admit I was angry over how it went down back in the day, but in the end, it wasn't really any quantum shift. It came off as a dickish move, and likely was, but in all honesty things were beginning to get out of check. Never forget the OWR Mod!

Following on Dave's random shots....

More to come later.

Date: October 15, 2009 01:05PM
New pricing structure

Content
Cars - $11.95
Tracks - $11.95 - $14.95

Subscription Packages
1 month - $14
3 months - $36
1 year - $99
2 years - $179

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 16, 2009 02:37PM
iRacing Announces Added Features, Lower Prices: Private Hosted Racing & Race Participation Program Introduced; Annual Subscription Cost Cut 37%; New Public Site Unveiled

BEDFORD, MA (October 15, 2009) – Members of iRacing.com’s popular motorsport simulation service will now enjoy additional features as well as lower subscription and content prices. The new pricing structure, which decreases the cost of an annual membership by 37%, goes into effect immediately. The new features, including private-hosted sessions and a program that awards credits for regular race participation, commence with the November 3rd start of iRacing’s 2009 - Season 4.

The announcement was made by Tony Gardner, iRacing’s president, who said the increased value for members was made possible by the service’s remarkable growth since membership was opened to the general public in August, 2008. Gardner also announced a brand new version of iRacing’s public Web site ([www.iracing.com]) designed to introduce prospective members to the inexpensive fun of online racing with authentic virtual versions of popular race cars and tracks.

“More than 15,000 people have joined iRacing.com since we fully opened our doors 15 months ago,” Gardner said. “Because our membership has grown rapidly, we are able to both lower prices and increase features. We anticipate that by adding value, we’ll increase the enjoyment of our current members and bring even more new members into our community.

“We are committed to making iRacing a thrilling experience for current and new members. The larger the membership, the better the racing will be for everyone. We believe that lowering our prices will open the doors to whole new segments of the racing community.”

Lower Prices

iRacing.com offers a variety of subscriptions, ranging from month-by-month to a new two-year plan that reduces the monthly cost of membership to less than $7.50. Additional content is also available beyond the three cars and seven tracks that come with every subscription. In each case, the new price is lower than its predecessor. A summary of the price reductions:

Term & Old Price:
1 month, was $ 19.00
Term, New Price, Reduction, New Monthly:
1 month, $ 14.00, -26%, $ 14.00

3 month, was $ 50.00
3 month, $ 36.00, -28%, $ 12.00

6 month was $ 90.00
6 month, $ 60.00, -33%, $ 10.00

1 Year, $ 156.00
1 Year, $ 99.00, -37%, $ 8.25

New Term, Price, Monthly:
2 Year, $ 179.00, $ 7.46

Cars were $15.00, now $ 11.95. -20%
Long Tracks were $20.00 or $25.00, now $14.95. -25% or -40%
Short Tracks were $15.00, now $11.95. -20%

Members who have recently purchased additional content are protected by a pair of price-guarantee programs. Any member who has bought content (cars and tracks) within the 30 days preceding the new pricing will receive within 14 days via e-mail a code for iRacing credit for the full amount of the difference between the old and new prices. Similarly, members who have purchased content between 31 and 90 days from the onset of the new pricing will receive a credit for 50% of the difference between the old and the new prices.

Racing Participation Program

Finally, the new Race Participation Program, an earned credit of up to $40.00 per year ($10.00 per 12-week season) will be available to all iRacing members regardless of subscription type, replaces the previous subscription purchase incentive program. Existing quantity purchase discounts of up to an additional 25% remain in effect.

“We want to encourage our members to race more frequently, and we’re going to reward them for doing so,” Gardner said in making the announcement. “Really, it’s a win-win deal for our members. People enjoy racing against other drivers, and bigger fields just add to the fun and make the racing better. Someone who takes full advantage of the ‘Credit for Race Participation Program’ will earn $40 per year.”

The details of the “Credit for Race Participation Program” are as follows:

• To qualify for iRacing credits a driver must participate in eight different race weeks in the course of a normal 12-week season in an individual official iRacing series. (Only Race Sessions in Official Series Count; sessions in Pro and Rookie series do NOT count, nor do sessions in Week 13.)

• For the purpose of the “Credit for Race Participation Program” a driver satisfies the participation requirement by scoring championship points in his or her race session, and completing at least 50% of the number of laps completed by the class winner. Races with an odd number of laps will be truncated. e.g. If the winner of an individual’s car class completes 17 laps other members of that class need to complete only eight rather than nine laps.

• In the case of a race with no finishers, the race will still count as an official session for the purposes of this program. Drivers who complete 50% of the laps completed by the driver in that class who has completed the highest number of laps will receive participation credit.

• For the purposes of this program a driver may participate at any series for which he or she is eligible. (e.g. A driver holding an A license may participate in B, C, or D level races.)

• Payouts are $4.00 iRacing credit per official C or D level series and $7.00 iRacing credit per official A or B level series. Maximum credit per season is $10.00.

• iRacing Credits earned under this program will be calculated during Week 13 of that season. A promotion code will be generated for the proper amount of credit for each member and then e-mailed to the member prior to the start of next season.

“By both reducing and restructuring our prices, we’re encouraging our members to have more fun by racing more frequently, with more cars on more tracks, thereby increasing the value of their memberships,” Gardner said.

Hosted Private Sessions

As a new option in addition to the official weekly schedules of more than 15 regular rookie, regular and pro series, iRacing will now offer its members hosted private sessions.

For a single $3.00 hosting fee any iRacing member may organize a private race, using a variety of cars and tracks in the iRacing inventory, which is open to any other iRacing members, without additional charge and regardless of their license level.

At the option of the organizer these race and/or test sessions may be open to any iRacing member or made private through use of a password issued to a group of members of the organizer’s choosing. While the race organizer may maintain a point structure for a series of these events, a member’s official iRating and Safety Rating are not affected by the results of any hosted private session.

Gardner noted that the creation of hosted private sessions opened the service up to a large group of online racers who preferred racing in a private-league format.

“A lot of sim racers have organized their own leagues – groups of friends who like to race together,” Gardner said. “Our existing structure organizes races basically according to skill level, which is what our current members want. From the start we planned to eventually add private racing to the mix. We believe that the private league racers will join the service to take advantage of this new functionality, but will also try out our structured racing, like it, and add that to their schedules.”

New Web Site

With the advent of each new 12-week season iRacing.com updates its Members Web site with new features and functionality, the place where iRacers go to race, socialize and keep up with all things iRacing. For prospective members who want to learn more about the iRacing service and community, an all-new version of the company’s Public Web site has been launched today. Reflecting what’s been learned in the 15 months since the service opened to the public, the new site provides a clearer and more complete introduction to the fun of iRacing and affords an easy way to become a member.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 16, 2009 06:00PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Good news! If they have a good Australian release deal when the Ford V8 and Phillip Island is released, I will probably try this game out.

Also, Marcos Ambrose is trying to do a one-off V8 Supercars comeback at the last round of the '09 championship in Sydney. Apparently he already has sponsorship, so i wonder if it is iRacing sponsoring him. It would certainly be a good way to raise some publicity, as any potential comeback (there is currently a silly dispute about which licence he can use) would attract a lot of interest.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy