Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 26, 2010 02:05PM
Posted by: IL Dottore
I Love the game.. But my PC is giving issues..

I am running it on a :
Intel Core Duo E8400 3,0 GHZ
4 GB RAM
and with a Ati Radeon EAH4870 Matrix 512MB

But the FPS is around the 50-40 FPS.. Even when i set everything to low... :S And it drops time to time back to 20 or 30 fps.

Anyone has a solution for it ? Or is my Graphics card just not good enough?

Magic Senna
Date: September 26, 2010 03:13PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
Looking on the codemasters forum reveals that the reason the Ai pace suddenly changes mid race is because the fuel weight isn't simulated for them....
Just did a 50% race and it's actually true. The Ai usually gains ridiculous amounts whilst I pit but this time I came back out in the same position.

Codemasters, masters of no code i've ever seen.

Date: September 26, 2010 04:26PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
y2cwr2005 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> the reason the Ai pace suddenly changes mid race is
> because the fuel weight isn't simulated for
> them....

that should make them slower not faster.
Date: September 26, 2010 04:29PM
Posted by: dio69
Well, im gonna ask again. There isn't a option to save in a middle of a race when you're doing a full race distance right?
Oh and btw, there is no slipstream!!!
Date: September 26, 2010 04:40PM
Posted by: dangermouseaix
I like the game as well....and there IS slipstream... first of all the AI cars use slipstream when they´re behind you and you there is a certain increase in speed if you´re behind another car.

some minor things bug me though.... why isnt there a chance to add personal helmets, or at least edit them in the game. Why cant you choose which driver you want to replace.

The feeling for the car is a bit odd at first but one gets used to it. The setup options might be limited but deliver a good mixture of sim and arcade.

Overall I like it
Date: September 26, 2010 05:38PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
loque Wrote:
> y2cwr2005 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > the reason the Ai pace suddenly changes mid race
> is
> > because the fuel weight isn't simulated for
> > them....
>
> that should make them slower not faster.

Fuel's not simulated for Ai as in, they start with qualifying levels and stay at that level for the whole race. Whereas you start with a full fuel load.

Date: September 26, 2010 05:46PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I don't think Codemasters will even bother with a patch - even if they could fix it.

Releasing it probably won't sell any more copies, and it will make F1 2011 a more necessary upgrade to fix the problem.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 26, 2010 06:10PM
Posted by: NKardoso
hey guys is there gonna be a mac version for this game??
Date: September 26, 2010 06:44PM
Posted by: Guimengo
dio69 Wrote:
> Well, im gonna ask again. There isn't a option to
> save in a middle of a race when you're doing a
> full race distance right?
> Oh and btw, there is no slipstream!!!

No mid-race save.
Date: September 26, 2010 07:01PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
The AI part is very disappointing after all. After playing some more, it is clearly impossible to have a race GP4 style where you are indeed having battles with the AI that are meaningful. Finishing a full race in GP4 is always good fun, and feels right compared to this game. I thought I would be able to retire GP4, seems unlikely...going to install it again later as suddenly want to play a F1 game again. Better though, cause I can just play the 2005 season which is a lot more fun than 2010 anyway ;)
Date: September 26, 2010 08:44PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Here's something funny. The braking distances. We've discussed them before and determined they are too long. Well they aren't. The marker boards are wrong, in fact they are VERY wrong. The 200, 100 and 50 boards at Monza are equally spaced. They are just placed randomly really. They aren't using real world units.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 26, 2010 10:14PM
Posted by: Rams
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Here's something funny. The braking distances.
> We've discussed them before and determined they
> are too long. Well they aren't. The marker boards
> are wrong, in fact they are VERY wrong. The 200,
> 100 and 50 boards at Monza are equally spaced.
> They are just placed randomly really. They aren't
> using real world units.

Yes I had noticed that about the brakes, not the boards though! ROFL.

Oh and the developer claimed tonight that the AI fake times are only for practice & qually, and only for Legend difficulty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 10:30PM by Rams.
Date: September 26, 2010 11:35PM
Posted by: Monza972
Rams Wrote:
> DaveEllis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Here's something funny. The braking distances.
> > We've discussed them before and determined they
> > are too long. Well they aren't. The marker
> boards
> > are wrong, in fact they are VERY wrong. The
> 200,
> > 100 and 50 boards at Monza are equally spaced.
> > They are just placed randomly really. They
> aren't
> > using real world units.
>
>
> Yes I had noticed that about the brakes, not the
> boards though! ROFL.
>
> Oh and the developer claimed tonight that the AI
> fake times are only for practice & qually, and
> only for Legend difficulty

They might as well have called the difficulty Legard ;)
Date: September 27, 2010 12:01AM
Posted by: FRESCO
Bah I was just doing a race at Belgium, started dry and on lap 3/9 started raining...by lap 5 the track was completely wet yet the pace was still that of a dry track and then suddenly on lap 8/9 I noticed the AI pitting and I stayed out, about half a lap later it was like a switch was flicked and suddenly had no grip (well massive understeer). So I had at least three laps running on dry tyres doing dry lap times on a completely wet track. So the wet weather system, when it goes from dry to yet at least is either broken or unfinished.

Date: September 27, 2010 12:10AM
Rams Wrote:
> Oh and the developer claimed tonight that the AI
> fake times are only for practice & qually, and
> only for Legend difficulty

I believe I will test this theory. I believe that is bollocks but we shall see..
Date: September 27, 2010 12:46AM
Something my mate wrote (if you're looking Si, I am sorry. But it is hilarious)

"I feared a rehash of Grid - a well-produced presentation with plenty of ideas but a vacuous racing experience, or something more suited to an arcade style of handling. I never imagined that F1 2010 would be almost totally inverse to Grid. The central driving mechanic is actually quite good but the game is so much more like an arcade game than we realise...

It's as if the programmers stopped reading about F1 or playing anteceding F1 games and just watched the races on TV.

Presentation:
* Big bold UI and that's ok - it's distinct from the familiar FOM house style but maybe that's for a reason...
* Menus are a clutter.
* The backstage environment suited Dirt2 well because it implied that you were part of a circus, part of something special. Meanwhile, my motorhome is a sparse office in the car park where a woman occasionally looks up from her laptop just to despise me even more. (maybe this changes as you progress?)
* I imagine the vocal requirements were captured late, almost certainly in one take and presumably wrapped up in good time to catch last orders at the pub. David Croft and Holly Samos emerge with little credit (the latter probably confused by not being able to interview "AndyFromBridgestone" and "I'mWithChristianHorner";) and as for the Poundland Rob Smedley... ugh.

Pitlane
Ah man, your description of the pitlane is perfect - a wormhole it is, and those changes of direction...

Wing Mirrors
Out-board mirrors are just stupid, but the concave distortion is equally useless.

Sector 3
...does not exist, according to my timing monitor, maybe I went through that wormhole. Put the timing beam on the finish line too (this one is a pet hate of mine from real F1)

My favourite bug (so far) - Singapore.
Present favourite is the armco 'protrusion' on the right just before you drive onto the Anderson Bridge, it actually stops your car dead in its tracks. First time it happened I didn't know whether to laugh or propel myself forward into the desk with sympathetic whiplash.

-- -- -- --

EGO - Intelligently Artificial
I had a number of points to make but I believe many of them are related to Codemasters' Ego technology.
Starting with the instant replay mode - that short buffer suits the flashback gimmick but for replay purposes it needs to be longer, the virtual cameras swoop and shake impressively but they're also poorly located and triggered. Then there is the inability to select and view other cars.

Well, why should we?

It wasn't necessary with the Dirt games, nor was it so with Grid (no qualifying, for one thing) so why now? Because we're nosey, that's why. One of the pleasures of the Crammond-era games was the ability to study the opposition and your own performance, back in 1992 I must have lost hours watching AI run laps in qualifying.

Not that it matters because apparently the AI aren't running laps, it's just a generated time. I've seen posts in other places suggesting that the lap-times in the race are ersatz too - and that's just the cars directly in front of you. I don't have any experience of that yet but I have noticed the inconsistency of the leader's lap times which can fluctuate by seconds, not tenths, depending on how fast you are. Of course, lap times aren't recorded at the end of the race so who knows.

One thing I did notice though, I was told "Liuzzi was five seconds ahead" - was that the guy I just passed or is his brother Nigel further up the road? When was he five seconds in front of me, and where did I make this time up? I've since turned the position indicator off because of the LIES.

So if the numbers are fake it makes sense to fudge the positional chart with leader-relative (lap-time) difference as opposed to relative gaps, and because of such fakery there's no point providing FOM graphics either - no conventional gaps or times to work from.

It's a numbers game, you're racing 23 equations around the world and their sums don't add up.

So it's adaptive AI then, I don't think that's a bad thing but at least give us the option to turn it off or scale it (as with the Papyrus 'NASCAR' series). On track the AI movement can be... interesting. First time I noticed this I thought Petrov had found a snake in his cockpit, so alarming was his swerve. Still, I don't necessarily mind that.

The flag rules are almost always detrimental to the player, so they had to be turned down. I gather that turning Fuel simulation off helps with regard to quali/race times disparity (only the player is affected), maybe the same is true of tyre wear? For now, I'm restarting career mode with fuel sim off.

Hate to say it but, with the next game presumably less than 12 months away from mastering, I can't see some of the issues specific to AI transparency being resolved with this game engine.

-- -- -- --

I'm probably going to stick with it because the actual driving is a positive (and those career achievements aren't going to earn themselves). It's a shame that points such as those above blight this game because once you're sitting in the car, in the midst of a race, it starts to feel like that 8/10 claimed breathlessly by early reviews. Our 23 flexible friends often defy logic (and possibly the theory of relativity) but they're on track to give you a race and something to aim for.

That's why F1 2010 really is an arcade game, not 'arcade-style' - it's a coin-op; it is Winning Run, Virtua Racing, Sega Rally even. It's satisfying to play and drive - just don't ask too many questions about how the AI get to perform as they do...

I guess that's my way of saying that I'm happy to be playing an F1 game again, but oh man, what were they thinking?"
Date: September 27, 2010 02:15AM
Posted by: dio69
dangermouseaix: You're right, but i get the feeling that is a lilte inconsistent.

Guimengo: Thanks, but i tought that would be an option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 02:33AM by dio69.
Date: September 27, 2010 03:21AM
Posted by: Fincent
Spot on Loque's friend! I'm now treating it as a purely arcade game and enjoying it a lot better because of it. I know for a fact that finishing 3rd at Istanbul, then getting pole and 2nd place at Montreal...in a Hispania, with no assists, on the hardest settings, 50% distance with tyre sim only...would definitely ruin the immersion for me if i'd have still believed I was 'living the life'. Once you get over the initial feeling of "oh. this isn't what i was lead to believe it would be..." then it's not too bad.

The fix for catchup.xml posted by _tux_ on the top of the previous page doesn't seem to have any effect either, rubber banding still seems to be in effect. I had Hamilton closing in a second per lap on my 2nd place with 5 laps to go in Montreal and then I span out at the hairpin, gah! Rejoined in 3rd and Hamilton was long gone down the backstraight. Miraculously, his pace then dropped and I was able to catch back up and take back 2nd place on the last lap just as a few spots of rain started falling . Exhilarating stuff and an adrenaline pumping few laps (probably the best gameplay in a racing game ive ever experienced), but it doesn't really make sense because
a) Hamilton to be catching me at a second per lap and then drop his pace massively so I can claw back a spin within 5 laps and
b) Why the spots of rain coming down didn't have any effect on my grip levels.

As has been said, if you just take it for what it is and do not question the AI, you'll have some awesome fun (because the actual driving itself isn't that bad at all really).

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: September 27, 2010 04:05AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
loque Wrote:
>On track the AI movement can be...
> interesting. First time I noticed this I thought
> Petrov had found a snake in his cockpit, so
> alarming was his swerve.

LOL that really cracked me up when I saw it for the first time, it looks like the cars are having seizures around the track ;) Great post btw and I agree with everything the driving is fun but the game mechanics and specially the a.i. are simply broken, I really hope they patch the game before GT5 comes, not expecting it though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 04:06AM by ROBITUSSIN JR..
Date: September 27, 2010 09:21AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
One other problem I have noticed is that when all the lap times come up after each lap, I can't even see the apex at Turn 1 in Singapore, Montreal etc.

And you can't turn this off and still know which position you are in...

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy