Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 23, 2010 01:08PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
My I ask what system you have to get those lovley shots?

Nothing amazing

AMD Phenom II 965 X4
4Gb DDR2 RAM
ATI 4850 512Mb
Windows 7

If we enjoyed games like Grand Prix 4, rFactor and F1 Challenge, would we like this game at least as much? Simple, but important question to me.

GP4? Probably. But rFactor is a bit more hardcore. This is much simpler. If you enjoyed, for example, Project Gotham Racing, Gran Turismo or Forza you'll enjoy this. If you want a realistic simulation, this isn't your game. If you want a believable and rather easy game, this might be your stop.

Good review Dave, I especially liked your quote "Every time I tried to pass Massa, he makes it quite easy." I lol'd at that.

I didn't see the humour in it when writing it, but now you mention it, yes lol.

My 360 copy should arrive today and I'll be able to compare. I suspect the PS3 version will be almost identical in game play to the 360. The PC is kinda the wild card every time.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 23, 2010 01:31PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I see from the screenshots you were winning at Montreal in a Virgin. Hmm.

still a bit confused you said that the AI was too easy but then said you get annihilated in career races. is this just down to the inconsistency you spoke about or what?

mixed signals from CM forum, with arcade racers saying the game is too easy and iRacers saying it's too hard...

anyway, I get the game tomorrow, how is it you already have it in UK? I also get Civ 5 tomorrow and have the day off so all in all shaping up to be a good day :P
Date: September 23, 2010 01:58PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Thanks for that assesment, Dave! If it wasn't for the stupid AI in rFactor, I wouldn't even think of buying this game. I love rFactor, much more than GP4 although GP4 has almost sentimental/nostalgic value.

I may just wait until - if ever - a patch comes out and check the reviews again. I discovered F1Challenge 99-02 yesterday for the first time(yes I know, African time is a bit slow sometimes :P) and I'll be content with that for a while.
Date: September 23, 2010 02:02PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Um, just tried the 360 version. It's FAR too sensitive. The car twiches about awkwardly. It makes it much more difficult than the PC version. It's almost impossible to get a smooth curve going. :-\

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 23, 2010 02:48PM
Posted by: Gené and Tonic
So I take it you prefer the PC version? Agree with everything in your review btw :)
Date: September 23, 2010 02:56PM
Posted by: casabonka
Well, I've just started career mode (PS3) on the second hardest level, with only auto gearbox on (I've always hated changing gears in games)
Its very odd - With Virgin, I managed 3rd in P1 and 7th in P3, then made it in to Q3 where I got two seperate punctures, so had no chance to set a time.

I had copped 2 5 place grid penalties, one for spinning and getting hit (causing a collision) and one for not slowing down for pit speed limit in time.
What annoyed me most in qually is there is no timer until 5mins remaining.

Then came the race (100%) very tough to keep a consitant pace, but good fun. I ended up 17th after starting 20th.

My biggest gripe - the live timing/telemetry or lack of! Gp2 back in 1996 had better timing, I had no idea where I was compared to other drivers once it spread out, considering other features this is a real stumbling block.

Taking it as a very good arcade game and not a sim, Im happy to give it about a 7, but the lack of timing is almost enough to drop to a 6!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: September 23, 2010 02:58PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
So, I played this yesterday.

Overall, as a GP4 fan who couldn't really get into rFactor, I think this is a great follow up to the Grand Prix series. I didn't have much time to play last night as I got home quite late, so I only managed a few laps at Bahrain, Melbourne and Sepang. I haven't played racing games in a long time though, and the last one I did play was Dirt 2, so this was a bit of a different pace than what I was used.

There are some flaws in the game that most have pointed out already. But if you are like that just wants a game that you can have fun with while playing, than I think this is pretty great.

I'll have more info after I play more tonight.

BTW, good to know some things remain the same...still crap at Melbourne, but I found Bahrain pretty easy.
Date: September 23, 2010 03:10PM
Posted by: LS.
If it's comparable to GP4 then I'm gonna like it, if it makes me feel part of race weekend and immersive then it's lived up to what I've been expecting

Ordered my copy from asda this morning so calling in after a few beers tonight with my mates at midnight to collect it :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 03:36PM by LS..
Date: September 23, 2010 03:44PM
been reading the calls for bug fixess and a patch etc, but wondered how this patch will be available to console owners?

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 23, 2010 03:54PM
Posted by: madotter
Where is everyone getting it from in the UK?
Date: September 23, 2010 04:05PM
Posted by: msater
madotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where is everyone getting it from in the UK?

ShopTo.net

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 23, 2010 04:34PM
Posted by: danm
coolshop.co.uk @ 24 quid.

ordered late tuesday night, arrived first thing this morning, first class.

Oz guys, buy from EB games , you get a free 2GB F1 USB stick!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 04:41PM by danm.
Date: September 23, 2010 04:36PM
Posted by: danm
To add, trying to runl it on my Ferrari Acer One without an optical drive. Copied the contents to usb, installed fine, but wont launch as it hasnt the cd to read.

Bummer!

Looks like I need a usb optical drive anyway. Have to wait til I am home from work!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 23, 2010 04:55PM
Posted by: MysticalCrayon
Why am i consistently 3 seconds faster in 'time trial' than i am in qualifying or over a race weekend?
Date: September 23, 2010 05:00PM
Posted by: chet
That USB looks awesome!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 23, 2010 05:21PM
lol theres a t-cam mod already for the PC version

[www.mediafire.com]

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 23, 2010 05:24PM
Posted by: JohnMaverick
danm schrieb:
> To add, trying to runl it on my Ferrari Acer One
> without an optical drive. Copied the contents to
> usb, installed fine, but wont launch as it hasnt
> the cd to read.
>
> Bummer!
>
> Looks like I need a usb optical drive anyway. Have
> to wait til I am home from work!

Maybe try it with a demo of Daemon Tools PRO! I bought it some months ago and it's very helpful on my notebook as well. But I wouldn't wonder if Codis would have blocked DT's option to simulate the DVD in the drive.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Date: September 23, 2010 06:08PM
Posted by: Jolkins
Got the PC version. It's pretty good, but there's one thing that really gets on my nerves - if you pit and others are doing the same, you'll end up spending about 8 seconds or even more, because the lollipop man won't let you out until EVERYONE has left the pitlane. I understand that there shouldn't be unsafe releases, but there's clearly enough time to get out safely... In real life situation lollipop man would be fired :D
Date: September 23, 2010 06:12PM
Posted by: Xero
It's a known problem Jolkins. Codemasters have acknowledged the problem and will be fixing it. Surely the AI difficulty issue hasn't gone unoticed too, that more than anything has killed my buzz for the game. Still awaiting delivery.
Date: September 23, 2010 06:24PM
Posted by: Guimengo
LS. Wrote:
> been reading the calls for bug fixess and a patch
> etc, but wondered how this patch will be available
> to console owners?

DLC patch, it's no biggie :).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy