Circuit Thermalito v1.55 - RELEASED

Posted by Fincent 
Re: W.I.P. Thermalito race track (new video, page 3)
Date: January 08, 2008 09:21PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hmm, Fincent I'd suggest you PM Fongu for that pack, I don't know where to find it now!
Date: January 22, 2008 08:25PM
Posted by: Fincent
Progress has been quiet and slow recently, but progress has still been going on lots of little details all coming together. Hopefully the next beta version will be out either this week or next, so heres a few WIP shots in the meantime :)

-Fincent

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: January 22, 2008 10:42PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Date: January 23, 2008 03:34AM
wow, very good job. It's great seeing this track develop like it is right now :)
Date: January 23, 2008 05:22AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
I think the cracks in the tarmac are a bit big... a car could fall in them ;) and they would fix them before they got that big

Date: January 23, 2008 12:38PM
Narrow, private roads out in the nowhere land of California? :) sounds like a good excuse for poor road maintanence to me haha. Besides, have you ever driven out at Mills on the backstraight? Theres some pretty big cracks and bumps there.

Btw, the trees and cones in those pics are in no way final...they're just placeholder stuff until I get upto more advanced stuff. Just thought it'd be useful to play around with some early stuff and get a feel for where trees and the likes would be best situated. Also, I'm having problems with the skybox that I cant seem to fix so in some shots, the trees in the background look way too high :(

Glad you like anyways :)

Circuit Thermalito

Date: January 24, 2008 12:49AM
if they were going to make it into a Race track they would be required to patch it up.

Date: January 24, 2008 03:31AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
NeilPearson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if they were going to make it into a Race track
> they would be required to patch it up.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 24, 2008 06:48AM
@#$%& ;)

Date: January 24, 2008 10:49AM
Haha! Ah that one made me laugh :) . Yeah I admit though the cracks are pretty big, but I think it adds a bit of character n stuff...also makes it a bit more challenging n the circuit isn't really meant to be upto F1 standards anyways. Hehe, looks alright for nascar though ;)

Circuit Thermalito

Date: January 24, 2008 11:16PM
well actualy now that i think of it, Thats Talladega, and they did resurface Talladega because of the cracks in 2006 :P

Re: W.I.P. Thermalito race track (new video, page 4)
Date: February 03, 2008 08:28PM
I've not been posting that much recently, lol, been busy behind the scenes and all that kinda thing ;) . Over the past month I've been making changes here and there and improving bits and pieces etc, enough to warrant a new version for Beta testing, and therefore a new video too :)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

And a few screenshots:
[www.kadair.org.uk]
[www.kadair.org.uk]
[www.kadair.org.uk]
[www.kadair.org.uk]
[www.kadair.org.uk]

The main changes are:
- Advertising boards have been completely revamped
- Constructed some basic buildings such as the dam, pit garages/stalls, powerlines and flyovers etc
- Completely overhauled tarmac textures to include true-to-life road and utility markings. Also added manholes (which are actually bumpy, not just a texture), grids etc
- Added some placeholder cones, bollards, trees etc. These are in no way final, but merely represent where they will be going in the future once BTB supports them
- Added plenty of bumps and cracks around the track to remove the "perfect road" feeling
- Improved some of the original terrain textures
- Tweaked fog, cameras and lighting
- Remade AIW again to incorporate new garage positions and track geometry

Although in reality there is a hell of a lot more that's been done...but those are just the main things. The other ones are mostly boring, repetetive and time consuming ;-) . Anyways, just thought I'd let you know I'm still working on this and the lack of posts didn't mean I'd given up or something lol.

-Woffin

Circuit Thermalito

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2008 08:34PM by Fincent.
Date: February 04, 2008 05:49AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Pretty nice. I think what you need to work on is the transitions between surfaces. For example you have no grass verge, just a sudden line where grass becomes tarmac.

For example, here

[www.rfactorcentral.com]

I think that would really improve your circuit.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 04, 2008 06:37AM
Fincent, just got the file today as this weekend I was once again away visiting friends at former uni. The pictures and video look brilliant!
Date: February 04, 2008 12:11PM
Hmm the link you posted doesnt work Dave, but I know exactly what you mean :) and it's something I would love to do as well...but because I didn't plan ahead from the moment I started, it would be an absolute pain to try and incorporate now (but I do know it needs to be done). Dont know if you're familiar with the way BTB works but basically you have your road surfaces and your terrain. Terrain attaches to the edges of the road and the texture direction is always north, however on your track the texture direction follows the direction of the track. The only way in BTB of being able to add transitions would be to modify the track surface and add textures on the edge...but since I have about 250 different surface changes (for markings and grids and bumps etc) it would mean repeating the process about 250 times. Then I'd have to re-engineer every single gravel trap/tarmac run off to get transitions between them too (which is very difficult in BTB since, like i said before, terrain textures always face north and gravel traps are made with terrain).

If I'd have thought of this when I first started, I would have used different methods and incorporated these into my track for sure but going back and doing them now would mean having to re-make half of the track (a good month or two's worth of non stop work lol). If I get the time, I will definitely give it a go since I know what you mean and I understand it would really help my track look much better too...but it would be incredibly time consuming lol.

Thanks for the nice comments though :)
-Fincent

Circuit Thermalito

Date: February 05, 2008 11:20PM
I am extremely pleased to announce that madcowie is now helping out to make the Thermalito race track! He's offered to lend a hand with all of the 3d stuff that isn't yet possible in BTB (which is extremely generous of him) so in the near future we should be able to really flesh out the track and make it look pro.

Dont forget to say thanks ;)
-Fincent

Circuit Thermalito

Date: February 06, 2008 08:18AM
Sweet, so when will it be on rFc?
Date: February 13, 2008 02:22AM
Calling all Beta Testers!

Please check your PMs :) details regarding the online testing session have been sent to you.

Best regards
-Woffin

Circuit Thermalito

Date: February 13, 2008 02:50AM
Will ponder downloading the Méganes again :p
Date: March 12, 2008 01:42AM
Quick update for ya :) Madcowie and myself have been working wonders with this track recenty (hence the quietness)! So much so that I'm confident the track will be released within a month's time.

Just thought I'd let you all know ;)

Circuit Thermalito

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy