Circuit Thermalito v1.55 - RELEASED

Posted by Fincent 
Circuit Thermalito v1.55 - RELEASED
Date: November 22, 2007 05:10PM
Posted by: Fincent
Hi there

I'm hopeless at making tracks but love designing them, so I thought I'd share one with you that I did today :). When I say semi-fictional, I mean that some of the roads are already in place and would just be needed to connect together (as opposed to a fictional track where everything is made up from scratch). It's based in Oroville, California, America and is situated next to a Hydroelectric power station. The course races round the waterline and encounters some good elevation changes, and very fast corners. Two possible layouts, standard at just under 2.9 miles and a shorter version at 1.3 miles (worked out using the google earth ruler tool lol). Also, in the pictures at the end of the post, the track surroundings at the moment aren't suited for a track but they would have the crash barriers and modest grandstands etc. I would expect a laptime bordering on 1m in an F1 car...maybe 1:40 in a sports car.

Full track map
[www.kadair.org.uk]

Standard Track Description
1 - A short start finish straight (similar to Spa) leads into quite a tight first corner. The pit exit joins after the corner finishes.
2 - Leading onto a shortish straight again with a very slight right/left flow, ending up at a 90' left hander.
3 - Another short straight with a medium speed chicane at the end.
4 - Going up the gears again we reach turn 4, a moderately fast corner which is vital to get right as a very fast section follows.
5 - Almost flat out, sweep through a fast right/left/right section before heading out onto the "water's edge" section and the 0.3 mile backstraight.
6 - Possibly the best section on the track now starts with a banked left hander, downhill and taken near enough full speed. You end up immeditely having to kink to the right and entering one of the power station's internal access roads.
7 - After scaring the plant's workers, you end up at turn 7 which is a pretty simple left hander.
8 - Too far away to be considered a chicane is Turn 8, almost identical to 7. Once taken you end up on the "channel loop" section of the track.
9 - After getting up the gears again you reach turn 9, a downhill, opening apex corner which starts off quite tight and loosens up towards the end and puts you on the straightest part of the track.
10 - Turn 10 is once again approached at high speed and is a slowly descending left hander.
11 - Turn 11 follows straight away and leads you back into the power station. This time we're at the bottom of the dam so we will drive through a tunnelled maintenance section of the building. Completely lit (similar to the Monaco tunnel, but straight).
12 - After coming back into the light we approach Turn 12 which is a chicane very similar to the corkscrew. Because of the nature of the land, the turn falls downhill after the first apex leading to the slightly scary sight of having the water in full view.
13 - This corner is a basic acceleration zone towards the end of the track that follows the water's edge, good photo opportunity here. This is also the lowest point of the track.
14 - Final corner of the circuit and is moderatly uphill. The pit entry is similar to Sepang whereas is is a continuation of the straight and doesnt particularly peel off.

That's one lap, described :). The short course's corners:
2b - Truncates the first straight of the track and leads onto the alternate course.
3b - Another left hander with a slight uphill gradient on the following straight.
4b - Moderately fast left corner leading into the "water's edge" section.
9b - Instead of taking turn 8, simply carry on from turn 7 until you reach a downhill, 180' left hander leading into the power station section.

Pic1

View from the startline area looking at the power station.

Pic2

View from the southwest corner of the map looking down at the power station and start area.

Pic3

My idea of the tunnel between turns 11 and 12.

Pic4

Inside the power station before turn 7. Obviously the floor is not right but this is my idea of what the walls/ceiling would be like.

Pic5

Not the same location but similar. What the face of the power station would look like from turn 11.

Hope you like my work anyways :) . Like I said, I am completely hopeless at making tracks, lol, but if any track makers out there think it is a good idea then just contact me and we can sort something out!

Best Regards
-Fincent

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2008 02:31AM by Fincent.
Re: Semi-Fictional Track Idea
Date: November 22, 2007 06:22PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
That's a great looking track. I'd love to see that in GP4 and rFactor! :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 23, 2007 03:28AM
Thanks turkey_machine! I've actually posted over at Race Sim Central and someones pointed me out to a demo verion of Bob's Track Builder for rFactor. Apparently it is a doddle to use so I think I'll be giving it a go tomorrow :) .

Circuit Thermalito

Date: November 23, 2007 12:15PM
Posted by: chet
does look pretty interesting :D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 24, 2007 02:29AM
Right, downloaded Bob's Track Editor demo version today, and I must say it really is an absolute doddle to use!! :) Althogh I still need to do some elevation and banking tweaks, here's what I have so far! Just the basic track with some basic scenery...once I finalise the layout and buy the pro version I'll work on runoffs, complex scenery n pitlane/AI and stuff. But for now, lol, this is what I got (apologies for the bad driving btw, lol, no reference points as of yet).

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

(updated track map)

Circuit Thermalito

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2007 02:35AM by Fincent.
Date: November 24, 2007 03:41AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
BTB is an awesome tool. I need to get the Pro version soon. :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 24, 2007 12:29PM
Hehe yep DaveEllis....maybe ask someone nicely for christmas? ;) Last time I checked it was $69.96 AUS dollars...roughly about £30 :) not bad at all considering once you buy, all future updates he makes will be free (free-for-life, he said in one of his tutorials).

Any thoughts on the track so far anyways? :)

Circuit Thermalito

Re: W.I.P. Thermalito race track
Date: November 24, 2007 09:14PM
Some more updates :) Work done today:

- Added pitlane.
- Fixed banking and elevation at turns 6 and 9. Previously in the F1 car, it was much too easy to lose the backend due to a rapid change in elevation.
- Added various placeholder scenery such as grass banks, water and gravel (basically just massive, non collidable walls) to make do until the pro version is bought.
- Made temporary power station and pit buildings.
- Made flyover at start finish straight.
- Extended pit straight for better grid space and run down to the first corner.
- Opened up turns 5 and 14 a bit to improve flow.

Here's a few shots. Yes I know that there are big gaping holes everywhere, lol, but it's only two days old and I'm using the demo version :).

Turn 10, viewed from Turn 11

Inside the lower tunnel between 11 and 12

The exit of the lower tunnel

The new pitlane entry design (with makeshift water valley on the right)

Going through the banked and downhill Turn 6

Circuit Thermalito

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2007 09:23PM by Fincent.
Date: November 24, 2007 09:38PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Lovely. It's a beautiful circuit. Great vid BTW, your driving doesn't suck too badly! ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: November 24, 2007 10:55PM
Hehe cheers turkey_machine...my touring car driving isn't too bad, it's just my f1 driving thats a bit erratic ;)

Btw, just also fixed the pitlane exit and entry. They were sticking up over the racetrack and acting like pavement. Next step is going to be getting some run off areas sorted which could be a bit time consuming.

Circuit Thermalito

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2007 11:16PM by Fincent.
Date: November 25, 2007 03:56PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Personally, i would remove the walls around the track, its not a city circuit, and it just makes it feel all hemmed in.

Date: November 25, 2007 04:19PM
Yep thats what I intend to to NeilPearson :) . The wall are only like that at the moment to stop the car from falling off the track lol! It was either no walls or close walls ;) . Once I get the pro version I can start to properly work on the terrain and do some proper crash barriers :) most of what you see is just placeholding stuff until I improve it.

Circuit Thermalito

Date: November 26, 2007 04:20PM
Another quick update vid to show tweaks over the past few days :) . I've now added kerbs (which will be moved outwards once i do the scenery and move the walls out too) but it is mostly to show you the improved banking/elevations (turns 5 and 6 especially, much faster now!) and the pitlane.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Circuit Thermalito

Date: November 30, 2007 02:00AM
Quick progress report for you :) I'm still working quietly and tying things up until the terrain update arrives. Some things I've done:

- Added track textures for the startline, grid, pitboxes, sector splits, tunnel markings, tunnel shadows
- Further fixed elevation and banking
- Added new roads for service vehicles and possible alternate layouts (along the top of the dam, parking area, highway etc)

Turn 6 is starting to look pretty interesting now...there's a sliproad that goes off (and stays on the top level of the dam) to the right of the track and makes the elevation drop seem massive! Can't wait for the new version of BTB with terrain features to be released! Should be in the next week apparently...

Circuit Thermalito

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2007 01:49AM by Fincent.
Date: November 30, 2007 06:55AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Fincent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hehe yep DaveEllis....maybe ask someone nicely for
> christmas? ;) Last time I checked it was $69.96
> AUS dollars...roughly about £30 :) not bad at all
> considering once you buy, all future updates he
> makes will be free (free-for-life, he said in one
> of his tutorials).
>

No need ;-) I got a free copy for designing the logos for the GUI :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 01, 2007 01:55AM
Hehe cool. Are those icons in the new release or the ones that are already out btw? Also let me know how you get on with BTB and tell me how you find it to use :) me personally I think it is one of the best £30 I've ever spent in my life lol. Speaking of which, more progress today...well, sort of. There's not really much to do now until terrain comes out (no point making barriers and excessive sliproads and maintanence stuff until I know where the ground is going to be ;) ) so I've spent a few hours knocking together a track map. It's my plan of action basically :) . Those photos in the OP are about the only ones I can find anywhere on the internet...and I've also contacted people over in California by email to see if they have any fotos too, no such luck yet so I have very limited resource material to work with. So instead of overloading my brain when I get the new version of BTB, I thought it might be good to plan ahead in advance and get things sorted. Let me know what you think and whether it all makes sense to you :)

Circuit Thermalito

Date: December 01, 2007 03:13AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Nice , Fincent, I'd only suggest more tv screens. Basically have one screen per stand and 2 for the larger one (bottom left of track)
Date: December 04, 2007 01:56AM
Thanks Gui, i've done so and updated the map. Also terrain is now released! But I can't do any of it yet...I've spent the entire day chasing down a few problems. First, the tunnels had turned invisible, then a few of my walls were acting as if they werent there...and for the most of the day I've been trying to solve why a few of the walls around my track are flipping the car into the air, even though there is an identical one at another section that works perfectly fine lol! Gah it's frustrating when things don't go right :(

Circuit Thermalito

Date: December 04, 2007 09:04PM
Posted by: Guimengo
And it's just a shame that right after you bought it they started the competition at rFcentral! Designing a track using the demo version and the top 4 would get a full copy!
Date: December 04, 2007 09:42PM
Hehe I know, just my luck indeed. Lol, such is my life Guimengo. I'm sure the guy who took my money isn't complaining though ;) .

Circuit Thermalito

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy