rfactor and braking distance, slamming the foot down!

Posted by mortal 
rfactor and braking distance, slamming the foot down!
Date: March 20, 2007 09:00PM
Posted by: mortal
Using the Aussie ORSM V8 Supercar mod, the braking is not as good as it should be, if I brake at the same point as 'real-life' cars, I overshoot, this appears to happen in most of the mods, the braking appears to be under-powered, even doubling the braking distance distance does not help in a lot of situations. Is there a file that can be edited to increase the brake pressure? I've set the pedal deadzone to zero which didn't help any either. Any ideas anyone? :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
welllll if your talking about bathurst, going into the chase, i can brake at the same time they do.

if it is "consistant" over the whole game like your saying mortal, i would actualy suggest its your driving style, How are you changing down through the gear box? Slamming it from 6th to 2nd will help your braking imensly. or even sometimes ill go from 6th - 3rd - 2nd just to keep the car a little more stable. if you are going do to this, make sure you are on the throttle to avoid locking the rear wheels which inturn feck ya gearbox.

if you stay in 6th then change into 2nd at the last minute you dont use any engine braking and your distances are longer. one thing i noticed in Live for speed in the F3000 type car (more so than others cos its a sequential gearbox) is that the quicker i slam down through the gears (always riding the throttle) the quicker ill slow down :)

Thanks, I'll try that, I thought that there may have been something editable to increase the power overall of the brakes.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Slamming on the brakes isnt the fastest way to brake. With a lower downforce car like the V8s all it will do is either lock the wheels, or cause the wheel to hop accross the tarmac. That wont slow you down at all. Decrease the braking pressure if the wheels hop or if they lock.

there is a setup option in the car setup which is braking power. Have to remember that downforce cars brake very differently to cars running on mech grip only.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
There are several factors that play into your braking power. There is a setting in setup called brake pressure... set it to 100% and learn to use a bit of throttle to offset initial locking... about 10% throttle into the early brake zone, and letting go when you get into the middle of the zone.

Another factor is gearing and the engine brake setting. A lot of the braking is done by gearing down in the right pattern and balancing the revs... there is a risk of locking the rears if you are not using a clutch, and that should be your cue, in the sense of gearing down too quickly... not enough downshifting leaves you entering the corner in a too high gear.

Last but not least (probably most importantly actually), there is the brake ducts... they funnel cool air over the brake discs, and help keep your brakes in the optimum temperature... Temperature is also determined by use. Flawed or sub-par braking will see you with brakes that are too cool to be effective. To heavy braking and frequent lock-ups will see you with too high temperatures that "glass" over the brake disc, effectively ruining it. I think that is modelled as increased wear and tear though.

To sum up, settings that are off, or sub-par use of brakes can set you off into a vicious circle of bad use, that is really frustrating and it gets worse and worse. Check these things, and when they are in order, gradually lower the braking distance, and have a lot of patience to learn.

mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Using the Aussie ORSM V8 Supercar mod, the braking
> is not as good as it should be, if I brake at the
> same point as 'real-life' cars, I overshoot, this
> appears to happen in most of the mods, the braking
> appears to be under-powered, even doubling the
> braking distance distance does not help in a lot
> of situations. Is there a file that can be edited
> to increase the brake pressure? I've set the pedal
> deadzone to zero which didn't help any either. Any
> ideas anyone? :-)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
I have the same problem in the f1 mod.

I break i spin and nothing i do seems to work unless i break really early and then i lose so much time.
Re: rfactor and braking distance, slamming the foot down!
Date: March 23, 2007 03:38PM
Posted by: TC
You must be locking the back wheels if it spins under breaking.
Well if your spinning when entering the braking zone then your probably locking the rear wheels. Thats different to Mortals problem. Move the brake bias forward and/or decrease the braking pressure.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Any tips on braking while steering ?? For corners such as the one @ Bahrain ?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
I don't play rFactor, but I can possibly help you with that one. Braking when steering is trail braking. What you have to remember is the tyres can only offer a certain amount of grip. Steering uses some grip, and so does braking, which is why if you try and steer while braking hard the wheels will just lock and you'll go straight on. The ideal behind trail braking is to brake, and then as you start to steer round the corner release the pressure on the brake pedal, freeing up some available grip to use for steering.

Hmmm, heres how i brake with the F1 mod... i just start slowly pressing the brake pedal while downshifting for a corner until I am slowing to a certain speed and then i throw the car into the corner, waiting for it to be in the right line for the exit and then i hit the throttle again. This is not complicated. I am running with brake bias 58.2:41.8, Brake Pressure 90% and Brake Duct Size 4 =)

OFC I am still learning about the car-setup bits so it can change next week =P

&quot;I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush.&quot;
Date: March 24, 2007 12:19PM
Posted by: gav
In the F1 mod (assuming it's mildly realistic - I've not driven it), you need to press the brake pedal hard (not necessarily stamping on it, which will unsettle the car) and then slowly decrease the braking pressure as the downforce is reduced with the speed.

Obviously in a saloon or touring car the downforce is greatly reduced anyway, so the effect is minimised.

And trail-braking rocks. The only time you might want not want to trail-brake, car wise, is if the brakes can't cope and get too hot or wear (though not many/any sims I'm aware of simulate brake wear - yet). The effect of trail-braking is greatly increased with more brake balance to the rear than normal (48-52% to the rear in GPL for instance, a touch more in GTP) and using the throttle to stop the back-end stepping out of line, particularly under downshifts. I drove the same in GP4 (without any aids), just a little more subtly.
Date: March 24, 2007 12:36PM
Posted by: TC
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the F1 mod (assuming it's mildly realistic -
> I've not driven it), you need to press the brake
> pedal hard (not necessarily stamping on it, which
> will unsettle the car) and then slowly decrease
> the braking pressure as the downforce is reduced
> with the speed.

Thats pretty much what I do in CTDP, works well for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2007 12:36PM by TC.
Glyn ill give it a go thanks :)

and Gav, TC thats how i brake in most Mods.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy