What would you pay for a champ car sim?

Posted by DaveEllis 
Re: What would you pay for a champ car sim?
Date: April 25, 2006 11:53PM
Posted by: Covfan
Has anyone actually said that Mad Otter?

Please read the thread, okay?
Date: April 25, 2006 11:55PM
Posted by: markko
I can only echo Gav's earlier sentiments, its a fair point. Steady on Dave, those "retards" are gonna pay your bills :)

Anyway, good luck with future ventures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2006 11:57PM by markko.
Date: April 25, 2006 11:59PM
Posted by: madotter
Im not saying they have, but like Astro pointed out, it does seem like a "w00t!!!11 look i'm gonna be working on making a new champ car sim" and anyone who doesnt basically say YEAH ITS GONNA BE GREAT COS I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT BUT YOUR INVOLVED gets attacked. I think this thread should have been just for his loyal selection of followers, not for people who maybe critical or show an interest in learning more about this game.

even when i did ask him more about it, i got:

You also want a feature list of a game thats early in development?

NO DAVE, YOUR RIGHT, ILL PAY £50 FOR A GAME I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2006 12:02AM by madotter.
Date: April 26, 2006 12:02AM
Did you notice he posted a link to early video footage of the game?
Date: April 26, 2006 12:03AM
yes, but it doesnt show much. Surely some actual facts about the game would be nice, we cant price something we dont know anything about.
Date: April 26, 2006 12:04AM
How much would you usually spend on a Racing Simulation game then?
Date: April 26, 2006 12:09AM
depends on the quality and what it includes.

i know eye candy has been talked about here, and i think in some cases its important. are the tracks to the standard of GP4 or F1C? too many things need clarifing before i would say. A game on par with GP4/Papyrus Nascar up to £29.99 and a game on par with EAs Nascar/F1C i probably wouldnt even bother buying.

Once details are given, i think we can say more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2006 12:10AM by madotter.
Date: April 26, 2006 12:11AM
Posted by: gav
madotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NO DAVE, YOUR RIGHT, ILL PAY £50 FOR A GAME I KNOW
> NOTHING ABOUT!

OK... given the context of the thread, I'm not gonna say it, but Dave isn't the only one acting like a prick.

Nobody has asked for your money. Merely, how much *would* you pay for a well-done ChampCar simulation. If it turns out to be an utter flop, nothing like as expected, or even just a bit 'meh', then you'd be stupid to buy it... A demo (or even user opinion) will tell you that...

Posting in a thread doesn't constitute a sale of license to run it....
Date: April 26, 2006 12:28AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Point taken Gav, and in some ways, i agree, but in some ways, i dont.

It seems we have asked an opinion on an approximate price for this simulation and anyone who has read the thread will know that we not only cant tell any more information, we dont actually have any more information :P We could tell you its going to sweep your carpet and will do your washing up like a few games companies would like you to belive :P Theres alot of people shouting for information who havent seemed to have grasped that that information simply is not avalible to them. hell some of the information they want doesnt even exsist yet. So instead of trolling and shouting for info, you could just say like matt did that you'll wait for a demo/reviews, rather than repeating the questions which were answered earlier in this thread (did the guys who are currently shouting for info even read the thread?). We have discussed the possibility of some features, which is good. All ideas such as this are good and i like to hear what others think, as too mant sim developers simply dont listen to what the public want! But it seems that some people who claim to want to learn more are actually trolling for the sake of it, or, have ignored the entire content of the thread and posted the same question again. and whilst i've been typing this, i've been refreshing the thread so i can add to this without making multiple posts, and i see its still going on, despite people pointing out to them the impossiblity of providing information which simply doesnt exsist :P

MadOtter if it makes you happys, heres what the sim will have! 50 cars, 400 tracks, including every champ car track every made. A Very easy track editor, it comes with a free version of photoshop, your own champ car hat, and free tickets to the 2007 Long Beach Grand Prix! If you chose the gold package then you'll get a free BRD Speed 7 wheel and pedal set too! Now, you can chose to belive this, or chose not to...i know which option i'd take there :P The reason i have given these fact facts? Because your pushing for facts we dont have, and wont settle until you have some, so there you go! Have some! Whether they are usefull or not is another matter! :P

iDT is not paying me. I have not signed a contract (hell, not even signed an NDA yet :P) and until i do, i certainly wont change the way i act on forums. I do this because i enjoy it and enjoy seeing people use something i created. It was a hell of a buzz when i seen people actually using the PCC GB online. I do this for free because i enjoy it and if people want to use the end product, then hell, thats ever better. If they want me to change who i am on the forum, then i'd rather quit and go back to modding tbh. Its not paying me anything, i wouldnt be losing anything in doing so. But hey, if i did change how i acted on the forum i'd also get blasted for changing and becoming all high and mighty wouldnt i ;-) and probably by the same people. (not you gav :P) I will not be reciving anywhere near enough money to actually live off of, so this pays no bills for me at all despite what some people think. As much as i'd like to live off of any money paid, if Simbin cant do it with the massive success they have had, there is zero chance we will. (For those who dont know, Simbin main members all have full time jobs and get paid under part time wage for the work put into the games, which to me makes it even more amazing the products they have managed to put out whilst working part time! :| )

Astro, i see your point, however there are some flaws there :) We were asked to by out boss to post on forums asking for approximate prices. Price is also not the first thing to be considered, but how do you know how far along the line that aspect of the simulation is? ;-) If there is 100 more steps to be done, who says we arent 99 steps in? :P The work to be done which has been refered to is on the technical side. The buisness side of the simulation is a whole other matter. If the buisness side was not far along, we would not have even bothered starting the technical stuff ;-) I posted it here because we were asked to post in the communities which we take part in. Having developers interact with the Community has proven extremely good for ISI, and for the netkar developers. Its also been successfull in other genres of games i hear! The buisness side isnt my area, so when my boss asks me to post on forums asking for a price, knowing his qualifications and other jobs, im willing to turst that this is the correct time to ask for an approximate price :)

bottom line here is - this thread is asking your consideration of a price for a good simulation. If you cant decide at the moment, then dont bother asking for more details because as we've already covered, we cant. So dont bother asking stupid questions, :) But as nick says, people seem to be willing to pay alot (which surprised me) if the game is as good as they want. What someone is willing to pay is up to them. Its not use one member saying "nobody will pay over £30 for it" because thats simply not true, or usefull. the point in this thread is simply to find out opinions on price. If i thought Mad Otter knew what gav would pay for a simulation, then I'd ask Mad Otter. Unfortunatly (or fortunatly?) he doesnt know, so a thread was required. What is interesting is the opinions i value the most (Gavs, Ians, MatthewPs to name a few, people i have raced with, respect as people and as hardcore sim racers) have also been the most helpfull and relevent to the thread. Whilst the people i have had constant run ins with the past (whats the point in naming anyone here? :P Me and chet dont exactly act like @#$%& best friends do we :P) have been by far the least helpfull! ALL of the revelent feedback (concerning modding, arms, visors etc) have been relayed to the relevant people in the team (so rest assured, any sensible suggestion does actually get considered)

so from now on, you can keep shouting for feature lists and whether or not it'll give you a blow job at the same time as playing (hell, by the hype some of these games get, it sounds like a possible feature doesnt it :P), but you wont be getting any answers in the slightest ;-)

Mortal, perhaps a forum wide conference style thing is needed. ALOT of old skool members feel they have put up with alot of bollocks posts from newbies, leechers,and even felt they have been picked on by mods (not mentioning names, its not my place to). It seems we are in a lose lose situation. We have 3 choices it seems

1 Put up with idiot posts on the forum and ignore them, and watch the forum slip into further decline
2 Report the idiot posts, get flamed for reporting them and watch the forum slip into further decline
3 Act agaisnt the idiot posts, get flamed, get moderated, watch the forum slip 3into further decline.

So your the mods, you make the choice. Because alot of old skool members are a bit sick of it...altho perhaps thats best for another thread (or private discussion) rather than in here, but something really needs to be done to this forum...actually, i'll send you a PM because i know we have discussed this via PM in the past :P

edit. f**king hell that was a big post :| If anyone finds spelling errors...tough cack :P I aint going through that again!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2006 12:29AM by DaveEllis.
Date: April 26, 2006 12:36AM
Posted by: chet
A nice read.

But I still would like to know who you were talking to about me, as I said it's my right to know, now tell me...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 26, 2006 12:38AM
Any such details may be discussed outside this thread. It isnt your right to know tbh, but if you want to take that out with me, getting on the PMs or something, not in here. I just wont bother answering that question here :P

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 26, 2006 01:04AM
Posted by: chet
"but god dam you've been the focus of attention in many an MSN chat tonight"

"I would bother answering that, but we had a big MSN chat, couldnt decide what "Ovc" ment, decided your a f**king retard"

You stated these in this thread... tbh Shouldnt these have been discussed outside the thread?!

You @#$%& up your own thread... Its a mess after whats go on....

How is it not my right to know what has been said about me?!

I tbh find it rather childish and pathetic that I was the point of discusion with one your 'boys'.

You cant go saying this "but god dam you've been the focus of attention in many an MSN chat tonight"

Then not telling me what has been said... its not that i care what has been said, its the fact that you said you have been talking about me, but you wont state who with, and what about me you were talking about, you really should have sent me a pm telling me you have been talking about me instead of saying it here, then telling me to ask you who via pm!

Its going to be very interesting to know who, and what. I mean seeing as though you do know me enough to judge me.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 26, 2006 03:17AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I was thinking, would it be possible to make past seasons from Champ Car? Maybe work on that F1 Challenge for consoles idea of working on your career, I certainly would like an option that I'd have to "prove" to team owners that I can run and then be given a shot. Perhaps a 1 or 2-year contract where I must reach some decent goals, like a couple of top 10 finishes as a rookie if I'm in a good team, or something like it.
Date: April 26, 2006 05:20AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
chet Wrote:
> A nice read.
>
> But I still would like to know who you were
> talking to about me, as I said it's my right to
> know, now tell me...

rumor has it, he was discussing it with Button!

Date: April 26, 2006 09:21AM
Gui 1 phrase - legal problems :(

That depends on the license granted

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 26, 2006 08:08PM
That's what I was wondering about, but imagining getting permission for some past things, even if you only got permission from the league but not some drivers. I could do with Lionel Hansell, for example ;).

Ah, I remembered from F1 World GP for the N64, the scenario modes were cool, and was nice how they estimated our salary for following season based on our performance, even though there was no next season :p.
Date: April 27, 2006 07:46AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Guimengo Wrote:
> That's what I was wondering about, but imagining
> getting permission for some past things, even if
> you only got permission from the league but not
> some drivers. I could do with Lionel Hansell, for
> example .
>
> Ah, I remembered from F1 World GP for the N64, the
> scenario modes were cool, and was nice how they
> estimated our salary for following season based on
> our performance, even though there was no next
> season :p.

lol gui you do realise u get the liscences FROM the series, you dont get the liscences from each individual party... take forever.

Date: April 27, 2006 07:57AM
But like with MLB or NBA games, I imagine some drivers are not part of the drivers association, and I imagine a few wouldn't want to be willing to have the rights to their names and images forever?

This is not a sure statement, just expressing a thought ;-)
Date: April 27, 2006 08:37AM
Posted by: gav
I think for current series (there's probably a cut off point here), it's generally licensed by the commericial rights holder. Then it falls back to Neil's point (Jack Newhouse in GP3 being a good example).

For previous series, you need the rights of the individual parties, teams and circuits, as with GPL. That might just be because there was no real commericial rights back in 1967, I don't know, but meh.

Basically, whichever way you look at it, you'll end up having to do/spend a hell of a lot simply on licenses before you even start touching a game.
Date: April 28, 2006 12:29AM
I'd be happy with just licensed teams and just being able to edit the names ourselves, via notepad or other things
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy