GTP Mod

Posted by gav 
GTP Mod
Date: February 03, 2005 11:14AM
Posted by: gav
OK, new forum, new topic, with some news from TR:

First of all thanks for everyone's patience while we've been working on everything that needed to be done for re-release. I just wanted to mention a few tweaks/improvements we've been able to make in the meantime, particularly with the physics. The overall feel of the cars is virtually the same and the individual characteristics are still very much there, but we've done a few things that should make the GTP experience a little better.

- The shocks have been tweaked a bit. We've been able to adjust the shock travel as well as the pressure bias between compression and rebound. The difference is mostly noticeable only on the bumpy/low speed parts of tracks (i.e. the turn at the end of the boot at the glen, or the chicane at the end of suzuka). The cars are much less likely to "bottom out" their shock travel and get skittish, or get into the weird oscillating effects that would occur sometimes.

- The Grille Tape is now a "true" radiator. It is a factor of drag vs engine cooling and no longer has an effect on downforce. This actually improves the aero balance of the cars very slightly and is from all accounts more realistic for these cars. Also the drag factor is slightly higher, as the grille tape had very very little effect on drag before.

- The rear wing now accounts for a lower portion of the overall drag of the cars. In effect this means that you will not gain nearly as much benefit from running lower wing as you did before. We think this is a bit more realistic and it will only be necessary to get a low wing setup working at the very fast tracks, as it should be.

- The tire wear has been tweaked slightly, particularly in the amount of wear caused by sliding/locking up the tires. It seemed like there was just too much damage being done to the tires from a spin or from locking the tires up too much. Although it's somewhat realistic that the tires on these cars would've been beaten up from abuse, it seemed like it was overdone a bit and was just leading to frustration more than anything...

- In the garage, the minimum wing has been raised slightly and the front weight limit has been lowered. That is, you will not be able to move the weight forward to some crazy unrealistic amounts as before. Also the minimum track bar has been lowered slightly.

- There have been some very small tweaks made to the tire model that are almost negligible but might as well be noted.

Overall these changes are very slight and most drivers probably will not notice the difference. The feedback on the physics after the original release was very very good overall so it didnt seem like there was a need for any major changes... The overall grip/downforce/drag/power of the cars is unchanged so laptimes/setups will not differ much if at all at most tracks, and your favorite car to drive in the original release will still be your favorite car in the re-release.

Also i'm happy to report that most of the sounds have been reworked and really do sound quite a bit improved...

I can say that re-release is hopefully not too far off and thanks again for everyone's patience. Amid all the discussions and speculations I think most people have been understanding and supportive about all of this and fortunately we've been able to squeeze a few improvements in for everyone

John

P.S. We should have a few new things up on the site at re-release or shortly thereafter, particularly in the way of setups and setup/driving guides, as well as addon-track support.

Seems they've been getting some little tips from people in the know...

Lools like we'll be forced to use this version if we wish to race online, but we should be able to just port over the cars from this version :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2005 11:15AM by gav.
Re: GTP Mod
Date: February 03, 2005 11:17AM
Posted by: matthewp
Interesting, although theyve negated the setup tricks we were using to go quick :P

Date: February 03, 2005 11:45AM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, I know :(
Date: February 03, 2005 01:56PM
Posted by: Mini Maestro
The changes sound nice but i am happy with v1.0 :)
anyway heres a video of me going round Sebring @ night in the Mazda :).
and i totally didnt see the first corner and got oversteer like hell so bah!!! while the other crash was just because i h8 that corner :P nonetheless i have bad driving ;)

link 1
[s24.yousendit.com]

link 2
[s26.yousendit.com]
Date: February 03, 2005 06:08PM
Posted by: Gazork0
The difference is mostly noticeable only on the bumpy/low speed parts of tracks (i.e. the turn at the end of the boot at the glen, or the chicane at the end of suzuka).

I like the sound of this :)

Funky Truck - The official Vader Trophy Racing Timewaster
BATracer - Online racing strategy game, great fun!
Date: February 05, 2005 02:06PM
Posted by: Glyn
I must say I'm not suprised they are changing a few things in the rerelease, because it's a good way to get people to redownload it.

Bring on the modders :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy