Grand Prix 3... on Assetto Corsa!?

Posted by SAT_LAB 
Grand Prix 3... on Assetto Corsa!?
Date: November 24, 2020 04:54PM
Posted by: SAT_LAB
Formula Grand Prix - A tribute to Geoff Crammond

After a work of a couple of months I'm proud to present to you a "special" mod.

Formula Grand Prix is a generic Formula 1 © car which delivers over 800 bhp, with a 6-speed gearbox and a mid-high-downforce profile.

But what makes this mod "special" ? Well... the carshape, textures, performance, helmet, etc. are all based on the Grand Prix 3 game developed by Geoff Crammond and released by Microprose in 2000.

Hence the mod itself is a tribute to the Grand Prix series and the man behind it, Geoff Crammond.

The Grand Prix game series is well known for being one of the first F1 racing simulation. The series released his last chapter, Grand Prix 4, in 2002, leaving one of the biggest modding community around every game of the series.

So... why did I choose Grand Prix 3 for the tribute?

First of all, this year is the 20th anniversary from the first release of the game.
Another reason is more "sentimental"... I spent thousands of hours on this game back in my childhood and it's a great pleasure to see it on a modern graphic engine.
Moreover... the GP3 carshape is well suited for an AC mod: GP4 would've been very difficult to replicate because every car is different from each other and it has much more polygons, GP2 instead was way too simple in his carshape and it wouldn't have looked nice in my opinion in a modern graphic engine.
So... in other words... GP3 was the best compromise between past and present.

"But SATLAB... what happened to this mod?? This car is ugly... This is not the super high polished, 8K textures, hyper accurate AC mod I'm used to!!1!!11" -
1 star

Well calm down... let me explain...

The goal of this mod is to bring to you all the "fashion" and the "spirit" of the late 90s/early 2000s racing games. The model is exactly the same as the GP3 carshape (obv created by me from scratch) with the same textures. The same for the helmets. I tried to replicate a more "arcade-y" style physics closer to the original game (I didn't think too much about realism). The setup is very
simple, you can change just few things (aero front and rear, 2 slick tyres mesh, simple suspensions setup). The sounds are sampled from the original game.
The only thing that I modernized is the steering wheel... in the original game the cockpit and the steering wheel were a fake 3D/2D model; in this mod they are recreated in real 3D with high quality models and textures.

So the mod is just designed for fun and semplicity (the mod is also very light so if you have a low-end pc and you want an F1 alike experience this mod could be your choice).

I really hope you will enjoy it as I did :)

DOWNLOAD HERE

MY ASSETTO CORSA (& other stuff) DOWNLOADS---> SATLAB90
MY VIDEOS---> F1 Retro-Game

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 03:58PM by SAT_LAB.
Re: Grand Prix 3... on Assetto Corsa!?
Date: November 24, 2020 11:44PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Looks great! :)

===================================================================================
Tahitian GP Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Easter Island Circuit
[www.grandprixgames.org]
Date: November 25, 2020 09:53AM

Date: November 28, 2020 03:48AM
Posted by: JrFirmm
AWESOME!!!
Date: December 01, 2020 08:53PM
Just a short gameplay of the "Formula Grand Prix" mod at Monza with M. Schumacher.
As you can hear... The sound bank is sampled from the original GP3 sounds ;)

You will notice also the (almost) fully functional steering wheel.

video: [youtu.be]

Date: December 02, 2020 04:32AM
Great Work! THANK YOU!
Date: December 04, 2020 03:50PM
Formula Grand Prix mod has been released on RaceDepartment!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 03:53PM by SAT_LAB.
Date: December 08, 2020 09:36PM
Posted by: Carl_gpgames
have only seen this today and it's absolutely awsome! thank you very much!

GP Files | GP Videos | Discord: Carl_gpgames#2350
Date: December 14, 2020 03:59AM
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy