rFactor 2 Twitter Feed

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: rFactor 2 Early Screenshots
Date: March 04, 2009 02:32AM
Posted by: Bruninho
awesome. will be good :D

might be a silly question, but hopefully rF 1 mods will still be compatible...

For me the most important "must have" in rF2 is a proper FFB without third-party plugins like realfeel or leoFFB. they suck so much that I had to remove them and keep using the default rF FFB for a more precise steering input.

Date: March 04, 2009 03:35AM
Posted by: torana_05
looks good yer i hope all the old mods will work

Date: March 04, 2009 09:32AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
More

Copied from my post elsewhere:

Gjon said rFactor 2 will have clouds which effect the track temperature dynamicly. Not just the whole track either, but in patches. Rain, fog, etc. It all sounds mighty impressive. Visually it looks similar to rFactor, and that is fine with me. rFactor looks stunning when done right.

But rFactor 2 has a problem. If it relies on user-made content again then it is pointless. I have no interest in running conversions again. I don't want Lime Rock from F1C. I don't want Renault Meganes. I don't want 4 different F1 mods which are all equally poor. Whilst there is exceptions to the conversion rule (HistorX, Laguna Seca by Com are both tasty), there is thousands of examples of it. I don't want mods. The community isn't good enough to supply content like this. I want quality work. 1 high quality spec series and a handful of low quality tracks will hold my interest much longer than 50 low quality mods and thousands of low quality tracks.

rFactor has poor AI. So you can't run it offline. Online, everyones just running about in Meganes and the latest F1 mod (no matter which one, they just want the latest). So if you don't want that, you are screwed. So what exactly are we meant to do with it? Hot lap?

The tracks supplied with rFactor (Silverstone, Montreal, Barcelona, Nurburgring, Monza) are also inaccurate (in the case of Barcelona, it doesn't even look like it is based on the same track). Some are quite ugly too (Silverstone and Monza are very rough) and very varied in quality (Silverstone is too rough, Barcelona is too smooth). And this is before you get to the surface of the track, of which rFactors are far too smooth. Will rFactor 2 improve on this? Well assuming Scott J is still doing the tracks I have mixed feelings about it. Some of his tracks are nice and high quality (Birmingham, Lienz), whilst others are quite poor (I think Silverstone is his).

ISI needs to provide high quality content now. rFactor was a nice experiment, and it provided a lot of interesting results. But I want racing now. I don't want Johnny Modder trying to make a game for me. I want ISI to do that.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 08:58AM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 04, 2009 11:13AM
Posted by: senninho
That looks nice.

Date: March 04, 2009 12:32PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott

Could that car look any more out of place? Or did spa used to be in 50s america?

H E L L O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 08:17PM by Daniel Knott.
Date: March 04, 2009 12:45PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
Daniel Knott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.virtualr.net]
> actor2.jpg
>
> Could that car look any more out of place? Or was
> spa in in 50s america?

Lol ;)
Date: March 04, 2009 12:45PM
Posted by: Covfan
The weather dynamics sound awesome but the main game needs to be good with good AI, not everybody likes racing online all the time.
Date: March 04, 2009 05:09PM
Posted by: lanky180
Hmm, will have to watch this thread now, rfactor i felt was good but didnt beat GP4

[batracer.com]
Date: March 05, 2009 01:12AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
please improve the collision detection...
Date: March 05, 2009 02:16AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
Not quite sure how to word this, but in those pictures really does look like rFactor 2 lol. As Dave said above, visually it looks very much like it's predecessor - doesn't really take my breath away as I remember WIP Grand Prix 4 pictures did! At the moment I'm racing rFactor online with friends and trying many different mods on many different tracks and we think it's great fun, so if rFactor 2 can improve on the original that it's all good I guess.

Still, would have been nice to have looked at those WIP shots and gone "WOW!" rather than oh look it's rFactor.

But meh, it isn't released yet. :)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: March 05, 2009 08:18AM
Posted by: gav
rFactor had a fantastic graphics engine from the off though, so improving on the visuals when there haven't been any improvements in graphics architecture (other than pure speed) is going to be next to impossible. DX10 has come along since rF, but it adds little and is so poorly implemented that there are still only a relative handful of games, and only those with expensive graphics setups (£110+) tend to play in DX10 mode at decent resolutions (1680x1050) on many of those games which have been released.

If it's got a few '60s circuits I'd likely buy it just for those (providing they're half decent - and frankly if Spa is worse than the horribly wrong GPL version then the entire track team involved need to be sacked. At least Spa looks a realistic width, so it's a good start).

Can't see the 2nd set of pics as ImageShack is blocked at work, so I'll check them out later if I remember.
Date: March 05, 2009 08:57AM
rFactor had a fantastic graphics engine from the off though, so improving on the visuals when there haven't been any improvements in graphics architecture (other than pure speed) is going to be next to impossible.

Maybe it is just because I spent more time ripping rFactor apart and building stuff for it, rather than driving it, but there are some significant improvements on those shots. First off, the car has self shadowing (see the mirror on the door) and it appears the reflections are dynamic, or they have a much better cube map system than rFactor does. The shadows of the trees and telegraph lines are also much better than rFactor can do, so transparency shadows are much better.

Why this looks better than rFactor is because rFactors base content was crap. Now they have Lo^ making the cars (that Panoz has some of his signature looks on it) and Scott J Doing the tracks (again, some of his stuff stands out in unique ways).

Gjon confirmed rFactor will not support DX10 btw.

But he also said improved AI and FFB. So we'll see. btw gav I'll move those images to my photobucket. They were only imageshack because photobucket was doing maintenance. You probably won't be able to see those either, but meh :P

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 08:59AM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 05, 2009 10:13AM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis Wrote:
> btw gav I'll move those images to my
> photobucket. They were only imageshack because
> photobucket was doing maintenance. You probably
> won't be able to see those either, but meh :P

Cheers Dave. Photobucket isn't blocked at all. Work that one out if you can!

It does look good. Do you think it's going to be enough of an improvement over rF to warrant it being a new purchase, or is it likely to be given similar (and very unfair) criticism that Microsoft are getting for not releasing W7 as a service pack (hardly comparable, but the best example I can think of right now)?
Date: March 05, 2009 10:31AM
I'll answer that with my opinion on 2 things.

Firstly - will it be a big enough jump from rFactor? Yeah. If everything Gjon says comes true, it will be. Fully dynamic weather with rain, fog, drying track, damp patches that dry out dynamicly with cloud/shadow cover from buildings and trees and sunlight. That sounds AMAZING. Dynamic track temperature from sunlight? That is immersion at its best. A fully re-written FFB system, which I can only assume will be an improvement on the RealFeel plugin, which takes rFactor to almost Papyrus standards of FFB.

And to top that off it seems we will have good high quality content from the off this time. Obviously confirmed is Spa 69, the Panoz Roadster and a "Historical GP car" (not defined AFAIK). That combined with the previous mentioned features should be enough for a purchase.

But the other thing is, will it be usable?

rFactor has 2 major problems when it comes to mods

1 - There is too many. The community is split into hundreds of sections. And Sim Racing isn't that popular, there is never many races going. There is maybe as many rFactor races as VROC had GPL ones going back in the day. But when you split that between maybe 30 mods at a time, that narrows down your racing a lot. Then there is the issue of versions (which has improved a lot thanks to rFactorCentral), and illegal conversions being impossible to find, and therefore impossible to join the races with.

2 - Quality. Whether we want to admit it or not, the majority of the rFactor community sucks. They have one of the greatest mods ever made in the form of HistorX. It is the GPL of sportscar racing, but with even more content. It is outstanding. But they still race Meganes. Why? Because they are easy, but don't seem it. The ridiculous tyre slip curves give the illusion of it being more difficult than it is, and the high reving rough V6 gives the illusion of it actually being quite fast too. Give rFactor users the choice of high quality and difficult, or low quality and easy, and they take the easy route. I also don't want to be racing all the same crap when rFactor 2 comes out. Do we really want that Lime Rock re-hash again? It seems not many people in the modding community actually want to improve. They just want credit for making stuff.

So take these into account, what am I meant to do? Race AI? I'd rather not, but if I wanted to, rFactors suck. Will rFactor 2 bring proper AI? We'll have to wait and see, but it doesn't interest me.

No pick-up racing, no AI racing. League racing only. I don't have time to commit to that sort of thing, and even if I did I have become bored with even the best rFactor leagues. Race2Play insist on running mods like CCWS06, which lap tracks 10 seconds too fast, or even the standard ISI content, which is terrible. If even the best rFactor leagues are using bad mods, what hope is there for league racing?

rFactor 2 sounds like it'll be an outstanding drive. Physics/immersion wise it is looking extremely promising, and as someone who loves visuals, I'm happy they have made some good steps forward in that department (yay for self-shadowing!). But if the game has no use, I'll just get bored of it again. It'd be such a massive waste of a great simulation if it has the same problems as rFactor.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 10:33AM by DaveEllis.
Date: March 06, 2009 12:36AM
Posted by: chet
Not sure if its been answered, only skim read the thread but if I can run rfactor, and I do on DX7 would I still be able to run this?

Also, I guess it would be another £20-£30 rather than just an 'update'?

Thanks.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 06, 2009 08:23AM
It is a new game, not an update. So it will cost cash.

We don't know if it'll keep the DX7 option yet but I suspect so. This appears to me more of a gMotor2.5 engine than a gMotor3.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 06, 2009 08:07PM
Posted by: count.bazley
Sounds promising so far. Totally agree with Dave on the modding front, I longed for a game/sim that was completely open so I could race any series from any period. The only sim I have raced since 2007 is Live for Speed, no mods and it's great because if I want to go online this second I have all I need. Had some great pick-up racing and some fantastic league racing.
Date: March 06, 2009 11:10PM
Posted by: IWE
torana_05 Wrote:
> looks good yer i hope all the old mods will work

I have readed from some interview that those wont work just like that. So some sort of conversion work is needed for all mods.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: March 07, 2009 02:44AM
Posted by: Karan
Sounds promising :) Looking forward to this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy