REM Split

Posted by Anonymous User 
REM Split
Date: September 22, 2011 06:38PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Sad day for music. Probably one of the greatest rock bands of all time. I still say be happy for the three decades of amazing music though, not sad that it's over.

&ob=av3n
Re: REM Split
Date: September 22, 2011 07:17PM
Posted by: gav
I'm just gutted that I won't be able to see them live again. :(

Manchester 2008 was one of the best nights of my life... and I stayed alone in Piccadilly train station until 6am or something, so the rest of it must have been pretty special!

Other than Around the Sun (much of which even most ardent R.E.M. fans feel is very ordinary), every album, even post-Bill, was excellent in its own right. 'Up' gets better and better even decades later ('At My Most Beautiful' being one of the best ever songs in my opinion), 'Reveal' was a thing of beauty and 'Accelerate' and 'Collapse Into Now' more akin to the rockier 80s.

They missed Bill though. His ability to gel the band and generate a more accessible song has been sorely missing.
Date: September 22, 2011 08:00PM
Around The Sun was absolute gash when it came out but it has grown better with age, although I can't think why. You're right about Accelerate and Collapse being throwbacks but I think they really work. I think my favourite album is Reveal though, I was quite young and totally obsessed with it when it was released. I acquired the earlier stuff later and there's not a bad album to be found anywhere.

I was them in Hyde Park a few years ago just after the London bombings. They were epic. Big loss.
Date: September 22, 2011 09:20PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
If I had to pick a genre for the music in that video, the last one I would choose is 'rock' ;)
Not really my cup of tea at all, but each to their own I guess :)
Date: September 22, 2011 09:38PM
What on earth do you mean? They are pretty much the definition of rock music and cover a range of different subdivisions of that genre.

I have heard similar accusations before against them and similar acts... usually from metalheads who believe that rock is only rock if you can headbang to it. And I say bullshit ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2011 09:44PM by loque.
Date: September 22, 2011 09:50PM
Posted by: gav
Imitation of Life (and the Reveal album itself) is pretty much the opposite of rock.

But their roots are very much in rock. The 80s were mostly rock. Monster is rock. New Adventures in Hi-Fi is rock. Accelerate is rock. It's a pretty loose genre.

I guess that's where 'alternative rock' comes in. A genre pretty much invented by R.E.M., and without them, there would be no Nirvana, Radiohead, Green Day (pre sell-out), Muse, etc. OK, none of them are my kind of thing (I don't mind a bit of Radiohead, but they're not exactly favourites of mine), but that just shows how far R.E.M. reached - in a genre I'm not really into, R.E.M. were diverse enough to reach me and penetrate into my depths - no matter what kind of sound, every album I see as a classic (barring Around the Sun).
Date: September 22, 2011 09:58PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Really REALLY Not my thing in the slightest (personally see them as bland as U2 myself, but meh) but they are certainly a rock band, that can't be denied.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 22, 2011 10:09PM
Posted by: thestig88
they've produced some great music over the years, ''automatic for the people'' being a legendary album, although i do think michael stipe is a bit of an odd bod character.
Date: September 22, 2011 10:14PM
thestig88 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i do think michael stipe is a bit
> of an odd bod character.

I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Strange but cool in his own special way.
Date: September 29, 2011 11:42PM
Posted by: Vader
Everything dies.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy