Ipod Touch/Iphone question

Posted by LS. 
Re: Ipod Touch/Iphone question
Date: July 15, 2010 08:13PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Have to agree with Covfan. In terms of what I can do with a phone, the 3G is the best phone I've ever owned.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 15, 2010 08:33PM
We have now reached the point, where people are actually bragging about living their lives like this, and people who don't, or speak against it are frowned upon.

Not really. Gav tends to be very anti-iDevice, but nobody frowns upon him. People just tend to frown upon those who call others morons for liking it. *shrug*

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 15, 2010 08:44PM
Posted by: Covfan
I'd assumed calling someone a moron was classed as
Forum Rules
No trolling and flame wars. Trolling and/or attempting to bait others into a flame war will not be tolerated. Warning

But hey ho, I'm not an ex-moderator so I'm guessing it's okay now. Anyway...

4.01 of the iOS4 firmware is out. The only update is a change to the formula on which the signal bars are calculated. Very much doubt it'll solve any of the iPhone 4's signal issues.
Date: July 15, 2010 09:25PM
Posted by: Morbid
Covfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd assumed calling someone a moron was classed as
>
> No trolling and flame wars. Trolling and/or
> attempting to bait others into a flame war will
> not be tolerated. Warning
>
> But hey ho, I'm not an ex-moderator so I'm
> guessing it's okay now. Anyway...
>
> 4.01 of the iOS4 firmware is out. The only update
> is a change to the formula on which the signal
> bars are calculated. Very much doubt it'll solve
> any of the iPhone 4's signal issues.

Speaking as a former moderator, I can safely say, that NO-ONE takes more abuse here, than moderators. I have seen my fare share of how abuse is dispatched here. And from my recollection, you have sent your fair share of volleys, Covfan. So you excuse me, if find it mildly amusing, if you have a moral fit over being called a moron. I see it as nothing less, than one of fates great stokes of irony. Nevertheless... report me if you will. I have nothing against you doing so.

Regarding the iOS4 4.01 firmware... I totally agree. Smoke and mirrors the way.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> We have now reached the point, where people are
> actually bragging about living their lives like
> this, and people who don't, or speak against it
> are frowned upon.
>
> Not really. Gav tends to be very anti-iDevice, but
> nobody frowns upon him. People just tend to frown
> upon those who call others morons for liking it.
> *shrug*

I find three things worthy of comment here...

1) While Gav might not be into the whole iCrap thing, he heavily subscribes to the general trend, through other areas of the wonders of technological gadgetry, that is distributed in our society. I trust I do not need to remind you in more detailed ways, why I see this to be the case. However, that would explain the "no frowning". A drinking crowd does not frown upon those that prefer wine instead of beer. But they do find non-drinkers an odd fellow.

2) I never called anyone a moron for liking to live their life like this. I called Covfan a moron, because IMHO, he IS a moron. Go back and see this is in fact the case.

3) Finally, I guess your sore reaction to my moron comment, stems from the perception, that it includes you, since you are an iPhone owner. This is in any case, what I read. As I said earlier, this is not what I wrote. I suggest you give some thought, to why would chose to read it this way.

Finally, all I said, I said exactly as I see it. I would not have it any other way. If a false message was to be delivered, I would prefer the grumpy messenger over the happy back patter any day of the week. I would prefer the same, even if the message was true. Wouldn't you?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2010 09:29PM by Morbid.
Date: July 15, 2010 09:45PM
I wasn't having a moral fit at all (although I now know what's good for the goose is good for the gander), just thought I'd mention it (another forumer had mentioned it to me first actually).

Don't really care about what you called me(you clearly hate me), just annoyed that you used a personal attack to derail a useful thread and mask a (rare for me) useful reply I've made.

All 4.01 has done for me is made me realise how useless O2 are when it comes to reception (A success then!)
Date: July 15, 2010 09:57PM
3) Finally, I guess your sore reaction to my moron comment, stems from the perception, that it includes you, since you are an iPhone owner. This is in any case, what I read. As I said earlier, this is not what I wrote. I suggest you give some thought, to why would chose to read it this way.

You guessed wrong. Even as an iPhone user, I'm largely anti-Apple and agree with a lot of the points you have brought up. My 'sore reaction', as it was so nicely put was more because Covfan posted that the 3GS is the most productive device he's ever had and your reply was nothing better than what a usual forum troll would put together and call him a moron. That was just disappointing, and quite frankly seems to be the route you are taking more frequently as you begin to place yourself above others even more so than normal.

But hey-ho, that'll be the last from me on the subject because some have clearly decided we won't be having a grown up discussion about the iPhone.

All 4.01 has done for me is made me realise how useless O2 are when it comes to reception (A success then!)

O2 is pretty poor. My 3G gets better reception in my house than my other phones have, so I can't say I've had poor reception on that. But O2 itself seems pretty bad.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 15, 2010 10:10PM
Yeah, O2 also suffers from the 'rubbish in crowds' issue also known as O2chlophobia
Date: July 15, 2010 10:18PM
I do not see myself as being above others. I tell things as I see them.

This might surprise you, but I don't say these things to piss off random people or to portray myself in some superior form. I don't take much satisfaction from these discussions either. Contrary to what you think, I say these things, exactly because I do care. If I didn't care, I wouldn't expose myself to the return fire I get in these discussions. There would be no motivation to do so.

If I saw myself as above other people, I wouldn't bother offering them information, I consider would be helpful. I would be busy hoarding for myself by exploiting people, while I offered them lots of smiles, generous servings of seemingly profound yet meaningless platitudes, lots of "feel-good" emotions and saying lots and lots of stuff they love to hear.

I practice what I would call radical honesty. This is not a recent development, but you are right in that it has gathered momentum. If I have to pick, and in this case I think I do, I place truth higher than being pleasant. It is funny, that while truth is always in high demand, it is very rarely appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2010 10:19PM by Morbid.
Date: July 16, 2010 09:18AM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis
Not really. Gav tends to be very anti-iDevice, but nobody frowns upon him.

Slight correction - I'm very anti-iPad. I can see why people buy iPhones and iPods, but not a fan of the iPod in particular as in my opinion there are superior products on the market for less. The iPhone more depends on what you want and what you can or cannot have depending on what avenue you go down.

What I don't like are sheep. People buying who are well-informed and have done their homework I have no problem with.
Date: July 16, 2010 11:10AM
Posted by: J i m
Aimed at no one in particular.

I think at the end of the day we have no business frowning upon people for what they choose to buy. If someone wants to buy a mp3 player, fine their choice, if someone want's buy a generic iApple device, good for them, if someone prefers HTC, superb, if someone chooses to eschew all gadgetry.... well then that's cool.

To preside over some one else's choice (weather you think they done they've investigative homework or not) and have distaste for them if they happen to go for the option you wouldn't have is well on the way to mounting the horse which has very long legs and it's hoofs stuck on stilts, it's actually fairly arrogant.

If people want and are happy with having a iPhone in-spite of couple of glaring glitches then let them be, what is it to you anyway?

Date: July 16, 2010 11:54AM
Starting a post with "aimed at no one in particular" and ending it with "what is it to you anyway", is a logical contradiction. Only one or the other can be said in earnest, but not both at the same time.

What you say is nevertheless true... if we all didn't live on the same planet.

I am pretty sure that Afghans will think it is their business if I buy stock in companies that produce 5.56mm NATO ammunition. Ditto, would the Cubans think it is their business of I purchase BP oil products. The Chinese workers at the Apple factory Foxconn that persistently commit suicide, by jumping off the roofs of dormitories, that the factory so graciously provided for them to live in, probably also think it is their business if you buy an iPhone4. After all, they assembled it, and apparently they didn't like it very much.

Equally, I live in a society where the mentality that follows the iTrend is widespread. I would even call it contagious and malignant. So people buying iPhone4's does affect me a great deal. Thus, I think it is very much my business.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2010 12:00PM by Morbid.
Date: September 01, 2010 08:24PM
Posted by: LS.
iOS 4.1 Update Next Week, 4.2 in November

iOS 4.1 was, as expected, announced during today’s annual September keynote, and includes a slew of bug fixes, and a few new features.

iOS 4.1 includes bug fixes for proximity awareness, Bluetooth, and performance on the iPhone 3G. The iPhone will now be able to take High Dynamic Range photos, upload HD video over Wi-Fi, and rent television shows on the go. Also making its debut is the Game Center, which is all about social gaming on iOS devices.

Using High Dynamic Range (HDR), the iPhone takes three photos: one at normal exposure, one under exposed, and one over exposed. iOS 4 then combines the three photos using “advanced algorithms” to create a single high-definition photograph. Both the normal exposure picture and the HDR picture are kept in the photos app on the iPhone, making it easy to choose one or the other. The demos look amazing; the HDR photos bring out features in the background that you couldn’t see in the normal exposure.

The Game Center will be a very interesting addition to iOS. There will be both features built into the operating system, and a standalone app. You’ll be able to play interactively with friends, or be auto-matched with other players. You’ll be able to compare scores, and see what your friends have been up to. Game Center brings natively to iOS what several developers have been doing on their own.

iOS 4.2

Also announced to be coming out this November is iOS 4.2. iOS 4.2 will bring all of the features of iOS 4.1, finally, to the iPad, and presumably unify the platform. The biggest addition to the iPad looks like it will be wireless printing. Being able to print directly from Pages or Mail will be a huge benefit to people who still need to be able to show things on paper.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 08:26PM by LS..
Date: September 01, 2010 10:25PM
Posted by: senninho
I'm hoping iOS 4.2 will eke a little more performance out of my 3G. According to a typically short Steve Jobs reply to someone, it will.

As a slight aside, I rather like the new iPod Nano. The Apple TV is starting to appeal, too. £99 is a lot more reasonable than £249.

Date: September 01, 2010 10:54PM
iOS4 on the 3G is completely broken at the moment. It's so bad that I doubt I'll even install 4.2 when they release that.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 01, 2010 11:23PM
Posted by: gav
Oh God, no doubt we'll get a surge in HDR photos now.

Don't get me wrong, I can see some attraction to them, when done properly (I still hate them, but can see the point), but when Average Joe get's his hands on HDR features, they're usually wayyy overblown, making a photo look both under-exposed and over-exposed at the same time, while adding a huge distracting halo around anything with a contrast and flattening all the texture detail in favour of colour contrast.

I don't like HDR.
Date: September 02, 2010 12:16PM
Posted by: senninho
DaveEllis Wrote:
> iOS4 on the 3G is completely broken at the moment.
> It's so bad that I doubt I'll even install 4.2
> when they release that.

Steve Jobs replied to an email from someone complaining about the performance of 4.0 on the 3G a few weeks ago, with "Software update coming soon". I really hope that means it'll sort the performance out, or I'll just go back to iOS 3. The only 'new' feature i've actually used is the folders for icons.

Date: September 02, 2010 05:47PM
Posted by: Zcott
A few posts I saw on Twitter from users with the 3G suggested that 4.1 (which has gone GM) makes it considerably quicker, back to OS3.x speeds.

Also, I hate HDR too but this appears to be done fairly subtly without being massively blown out of proportion like 99.9% of HDR photos on the internets.

Date: September 02, 2010 06:51PM
Posted by: Guimengo
gav Wrote:
> Oh God, no doubt we'll get a surge in HDR photos
> now.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I can see some attraction to
> them, when done properly (I still hate them, but
> can see the point), but when Average Joe get's his
> hands on HDR features, they're usually wayyy
> overblown, making a photo look both under-exposed
> and over-exposed at the same time, while adding a
> huge distracting halo around anything with a
> contrast and flattening all the texture detail in
> favour of colour contrast.
>
> I don't like HDR.

GP4 Screenshot Thread says hello ;)
Date: September 02, 2010 08:45PM
Posted by: Willb
Im pretty excited for iOS4.2 for both iPhone and iPad (FINALLY for the iPad, took long enough..)

@DaveEllis A workaround I found with my girlfriends 3g, if you turn spotlight search off it makes the iOS4 situation alot better. Still not perfect, but perfectly useable now. Maybe you can give that a shot. Just a thought.

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: September 03, 2010 03:36PM
@DaveEllis A workaround I found with my girlfriends 3g, if you turn spotlight search off it makes the iOS4 situation alot better. Still not perfect, but perfectly useable now. Maybe you can give that a shot. Just a thought.

I heard that. I tried it and it made a difference, but it still wasn't anywhere near as good as iOS3. The only thing worth having in iOS4 on the 3G is folders and the new glass UI for the docked icons. Id sacrifice those for performance. iOS3 on the 3G is so bad that even the iPod stuttered.

Not as exaggerated as some fan boys are claiming -

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy