Girlfriend dropped her laptop

Posted by superchargednut 
Girlfriend dropped her laptop
Date: August 23, 2009 01:01AM
Posted by: superchargednut
Yeah, women... Honestly ;P Anyway, she dropped it a while back, from table height onto the patio.

Now, it turns on, and loads up VERY VERY VERY slowly.
Then it stays on a black screen for a while.
Then the mouse will appear for a while, then the Vista loading circle for while.
Then she can log in, still takes a long time.
Once she's logged in, explorer.exe crashes, and you can 'End now', and then this cycle will continue.

In safe mode, it loads up and works.

Any idea what part is likely to be damaged and causing the problem?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2009 03:15AM by superchargednut.
Re: Girlfriend dropped her laptop
Date: August 23, 2009 01:17AM
Posted by: chet
And i thought this was gonna be a joke :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 23, 2009 03:04AM
Posted by: sasjag
My guess would be that a part that was damaged when she dropped it is causing the problem.

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: August 23, 2009 03:15AM
Edited the first post.

Date: August 23, 2009 04:34AM
Posted by: smorr
sasjag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My guess would be that a part that was damaged
> when she dropped it is causing the problem.

This man/woman/transvestite speaks the truth.

I dunno. If its under any kinda warranty send it in, or if not, open er up!

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: August 23, 2009 06:02AM
Posted by: EC83
I'm no expert on these things, but it sounds like hard drive damage to me. Hard drives are pretty sensitive to shocks/impacts, and the laptop's slow/erratic behaviour in standard mode sounds consistent with hard drive problems.

Date: August 23, 2009 10:52AM
Posted by: gav
EC83 Wrote:
> I'm no expert on these things, but it sounds like
> hard drive damage to me.

This.

Only other possible cause to spring to mind would be that the CPU heatsink has almost come away, so the CPU has just about crawled to a halt to avoid completely melting itself, but that's extremely unlikely. They do tend to throttle down when overheating, but before getting this slow they shut themselves off completely.

Stop her using the laptop until you can get another hard drive. All it will do is lose more data. Get someone to take the old drive out, but keep hold of it, and reinstall whatever Windows came with the laptop (a lot easier if the laptop came with recovery CDs or DVDs... hopefully it's not a cheap laptop with the recovery data on a 2nd partition on the hard drive, or you're going to have to reinstall Windows the longer way, manually looking for drivers and such).

When you've got the system working again, plug the old hard drive into USB caddy such as this (we'll check to see if it's SATA or PATA before we order) so we can rescue any documents and data she might need.

If you're by yourself on this one, post the laptop make a model (it'll be on the underside - post a photo if you're not sure which number) and we'll start guiding you through the rest.

The good news is that it looks as though the hard drive is the only victim, so unless it's an old laptop she was thinking of replacing in the near future, it'll be relatively cheap to fix. Might just take a little while to do it.
Date: August 23, 2009 12:10PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Try to seducedthat girl, it might fix her problem

Date: August 23, 2009 12:31PM
Posted by: mortal
micky-cannonball Wrote:
> Try to seducedthat girl, it might fix her problem

You are an idiot.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: August 23, 2009 01:25PM
Thanks very much Gav :)

'Hopefully it's not a cheap laptop with the recovery data on a 2nd partition on the hard drive'.

Hmmm... Unfortunately it was a Christmas present and therefore it's an Advent. I have a slightly newer version of the same one than her though, and I don't think my recovery data is on a 2nd partition.

Mine's an Advent 5301.

(I know they're awful ;))

Date: August 23, 2009 05:04PM
Posted by: SHEEPY
my mum has an advent laptop for a few years now, its had problems since getting it, its mega slow, it doesnt work with out it being plugged into the mains, took it back to pc world and they said there was nothing wrong it, it literay takes about 40 minutes after arriving at desktop to be useable.
Date: August 24, 2009 01:51AM
Gav... Since (I think) safe mode works alright, could I not just load that up, then back-up her files onto my external HDD, and then shove a new HDD in her laptop?

Date: August 24, 2009 08:49AM
Posted by: gav
You could (though safe mode doesn't always like installing new hardware, I think drives are fine), but don't run that hard drive any more than is absolutely necessary, or you won't be getting any files off it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy