Muse?

Posted by mortal 
Re: Muse?
Date: September 15, 2009 09:14AM
Posted by: LS.
NME sum it up pretty well for me.

Greetings, citizen of Eurasia, resident of colony GBv6.0. Please state serial code and expiry date to any hovering micromonitor and proceed to Aquadome for daily cleansing. The State reminds all citizens to keep their ResUnits appropriately free of contraband; more pertinently, any citizen harbouring the works of the known fugitive gang referred to as Muse will be re-educated. And the State will again reiterate its commitment to the eradication of emotion: in Eurasia, to love is to die.

And that’s just it, dear citizen, that’s the point of Muse’s barmy, overblown, often hilarious, sometimes stunning fifth record. Actually, ‘opus’ is more apt: by now you’ll know about the grand themes of state control, unjust war and marauding Thought Police, maybe you took part in the treasure hunt that stretched from Dubai to New York, and you’ll certainly know there’s something on this record that’s 15 minutes long and called ‘Exogenesis Symphony’. But beneath the bombast lies Muse’s most coherent and focused record yet, a treatise on the ineffable power of love.But it sure takes a while to get there.

Muse have always been ambitious, but ‘United States Of Eurasia’ pushes the envelope clean off this sphere of existence: it’s like ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ crossed with the anthem of an entire planet, all hoofed up with ultrasteroids, strings and guitars that zoom like spaceships. It’s deliriously unhinged, shamelessly grandiose and, best of all, superb. And, as the chorus-line hamming twinkles into a borrowed Chopin nocturne, the scope changes to something graceful, tonally redolent of ‘Citizen Erased’ in parts, and Muse remind us why we loved them so much in the first place: because when they go unapologetically batshit insane they’re untouchable. And it’s a shame there’s not more like it. ‘Uprising’ and ‘Guiding Light’, for example, are just myriad ideas thrown at a wall and expected to stick.

Lyrically, the album’s a love letter from 1984’s Winston Smith to Julia, or rather Bellamy to his fiancée. “Love is our resistance” goes ‘Resistance’ (surprisingly), and the abiding message is that forbidden romance against the odds will, even in this dystopia, triumph. The controlling-state leitmotif gets tired quickly, what with all the bollocks about Thought Police and such, but the references to “my guiding lightning bolt” suggest that behind the musical lunacy is just a guy in love with a beautiful woman. Perhaps because this is the first time he’s opened himself up emotionally, Bellamy feels the need to cloak his feelings in metaphor, and, once past the overcooked imagery, ‘The Resistance’ feels resolutely human throughout.

Chris Wolstenholme’s bass-doodles in ‘Resistance’ and the barrage of Dom Howard’s drums in ‘Guiding Light’ add texture to otherwise garishly bright canvases, even though the latter feels like Muse on autopilot save an atomic solo ripped straight from the Van Halen school of subtlety. ‘MK Ultra’, too, could be any B-side from the last couple of albums. ‘Unnatural Selection’, on the other hand, is another that makes no bones about its craziness and is all the stronger for it; heralded by a massive organ and guided by a typically frenetic Bellamy riff, it’s boiling and brilliant.

But such supernovae of genius are all too rare, as much of ‘The Resistance’ is predictable in its insanity. Maybe they’ve painted themselves into a corner – now we expect billion-piece string sections and falsetto rock-lord histrionics and backing vocals performed by a holy choir of visiting angels and acrobatic guitars powered by NASA and obelisk drums and and and and – so the schlock of the new has been lost.

So when, on ‘Undisclosed Desires’ and the terrible ‘I Belong To You’, they try to reignite the low-down R&B of ‘Supermassive Black Hole’, it backfires. The former sounds like something Timbaland might find down the back of his mixing desk and the latter is a sleazy romp with an ill-advised section where Bellamy sings in French. And then, when it can’t get any more laughable: clarinet solo. It’s times like this that ‘The Resistance’ isn’t much of an album, more a prayer to the prog gods plodding around Rick Wakeman’s subconscious after a heavy night playing wizard.

Speaking of which, it’s time to talk ‘Exogenesis Symphony’. Comprising ‘Overture’, ‘Cross Pollination’ and ‘Redemption’, slapped at the end it feels like a concession rather than a dramatic centrepiece. Having rattled around Bellamy’s mind for years and dealing with nothing so weighty as, y’know, life on Earth having its roots in the stars and humans taking an exodus from the planet to repopulate another world (obviously), it’s almost unbearably pretentious. For all the bluster, it’s far too reliant on Bellamy’s string arrangements (an astonishing achievement, yes, but not as accomplished as his work on the ivories and fretboard; the next album will be a killer, though) rather than the symphonic peaks and troughs the trio themselves are capable of creating.

It’s symptomatic of ‘The Resistance’ as a whole: conceptually impressive but musically all too familiar. And while not their best, it’s decent enough to ensure there’ll be more – even though the truly off-the-wall moments are either rare or misguided, meaning the record feels slightly anonymous. So next time, guys, can you just go nuts?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 15, 2009 05:45PM
Posted by: Monza972
Ordered the Special editon for £56 on Sunday night. Hurry up Thursday!!! :D
Date: September 15, 2009 07:36PM
Posted by: msater
Lucky Monil. I have to make do with the normal one for now. But I've ordered (or will be ordering) a Muse poster, which is cool.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 15, 2009 07:50PM
Posted by: Guimengo
What song did they play in the VMA? I thought it was just ok, not memorable. Also had one moment with a beat from another song, forgot it right now but it may be disco/80s.
Date: September 16, 2009 04:58AM
Posted by: smorr
I picked my copy up today.... Having heard Uprising on the radio unknowningly, I now remember why I didn't realize it. Bellamy doesn't sound like Bellamy! ;)

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: September 16, 2009 11:14AM
Listened to the new album about 6 times now, definately a slow burner to start imho, but definately a grower, i love it now!

Anyone else see Muse performing live on Jools Holland last night? Uprising & United states of eurasia live was awesome, Bellamys vocals live are something else

Cant wait to see them live in November!

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 16, 2009 04:44PM
youtube link or it didn't happen ;)
Date: September 16, 2009 06:12PM
LS. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Listened to the new album about 6 times now,
> definately a slow burner to start imho, but
> definately a grower, i love it now!
>
> Anyone else see Muse performing live on Jools
> Holland last night? Uprising & United states of
> eurasia live was awesome, Bellamys vocals live are
> something else
>
> Cant wait to see them live in November!

@#$%&!

I knew i was meant to watch something last nite!
Date: September 16, 2009 06:34PM
iplayer ( muse open and close the show) [www.bbc.co.uk]

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 16, 2009 06:36PM
And my favourite from the show, love the orchestral accompaniment

&feature=related">
&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2009 06:41PM by LS..
Date: September 16, 2009 06:47PM
Ah ok, Uprising has the one moment that makes me think of Call Me from Blondie
Date: September 16, 2009 06:54PM
Guitar Hero 5 with Matt Bellamy

&feature=fvw">
&feature=fvw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

LS's Tip of the week
Date: September 16, 2009 08:25PM
Posted by: smorr
Holy bejeebus they made him look like even more of a freak!

Here's my initial thoughts on The Resistance. Keep in mind I'm far from your typical Muse fan, and much more of a Metal type of guy... I do appreciate some classical type of stuff, but I am a sucker for good riffage. Probably worth noting for this "review" type thing.

Honestly, as much as I hate to say it (OoS was just...... Amazing from the start), but this is PROBABLY their most complete and polished record. There really is no high or low (Except United States or Eurasia, which is a high point), its just good all around. Very little at this point that just leaps out at me similarly to the way New Born or Citizen Erased did, but overall, it keeps the fire burning in a way that no previous Muse album has IMO.

It's just baffling to me. You can tell that the musicianship is there, but it still feels as if they are holding back (ESPECIALLY Matt and Chris. Both of them are gods, no ifs ands or buts. I'm not a drummer so I won't comment on Dom). I'm disappointed by a lack of guitar solos and orgasmic basslines, both of which are almost always present. Mr. Bellamy, you have some of the best guitar equipment on the face of this planet, as a fellow guitarist I would appreciate it if you were to put it to good use, or give it to someone who will, as in me. ;)

There is much more of a groove to all of the songs. Cross breed Supermassive Blackhole with Absolution, with a slight touch of New Born. Best way for me to sum it up. At times you can REALLY hear some repeat riffs, but, honestly, they are slightly different, so I think that they were trying to allude to their previous work, to sort of tie everything all together. I hear ALOT of allusions to New Born throughout. Again though, not a bad thing at all. It stands on its own without those bits.

The Symphony is sorta disappointing. Doesn't mean it isn't good, because it still is VERY good, but I honestly expected more. Again, it feels as if they are still holding back. Kinda reminds me of Take A Bow in all honesty, minus the Burn in hell bits. Which, in all honesty, made that song great. ;)

I'd give it a 92 outta 100. It's just VERY well done and very consistent across the board. There really isn't any boring parts, except perhaps a point or two in the symphony, but that will depend on weather or not you can listen to it for what it is. In my book it SLIGHTLY edges out OoS by a little, but if OoS was longer, well, no comparison.

I'd file em this way - The Resistance, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations, and Showbiz bringing up the rear in terms of studio albums.

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: September 17, 2009 05:02PM
Well I got it today. But no one heard the doorbell (i was at college mind you) ¬_¬

Cue royal mail taking it back to their depot.
Date: September 17, 2009 05:29PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
And we got post strikes coming too, unlucky mate ;)

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: September 17, 2009 05:43PM
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> And we got post strikes coming too, unlucky mate
> ;)

Thing is i've got to wait 24hrs before I can go there to collect it myself. It's a right old pain in the backside!
Date: September 17, 2009 06:16PM
Posted by: msater
Unlucky Monil. You'll like it very much when you get it though. ;)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 17, 2009 07:56PM
msater Wrote:
> Unlucky Monil. You'll like it very much when you
> get it though. ;)

I went a whole week without listening to any of the new songs. I just didn't want to ruin any of the surprise. Looks like a full week was in order lol
Date: September 18, 2009 05:42AM
After hearing some of their songs on youtube I have to say I expect their live concerts to make some of their songs sound very extremely much better. The CD version has some very "constrained" arrangements that should be made more pure rock live. I like it overall though, the undead teddy bears from Uprising still look cute despite having fangs and the evil eyebrows ;)
Date: September 18, 2009 05:31PM
Got the album from the postie today. Oh hell yeah it's good!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy