What are you listening to?

Posted by Covfan 
Re: What are you listening to?
Date: September 19, 2012 12:57PM
Posted by: danm
I've gone off The Killers a little.

Yes, don't get me wrong they ARE awesome.

But I think they've gotten like the Chili Peppers in that you hear one song, instantly recognize it as them, and it's all very much samey samey and almost a lost in translation track of something they've already done.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 19, 2012 03:16PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I think they've gotten like the Chili Peppers
> in that you hear one song, instantly recognize it
> as them, and it's all very much samey samey and
> almost a lost in translation track of something
> they've already done.

I think this is mainly because Rick Rubin saw that Californication was so successful that he decided to keep all future albums similar when mixed.

Here's some classic Chilis from 1987, when Hillel Slovak was the guitarist:

&feature=relmfu

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 19, 2012 07:49PM
Posted by: gav
EC83
Every album they've done so far has had one track on it which has blown my mind, including Day & Age(Human). I'm sure the new album will too. I love every aspect of their music, particularly the inspired nature and depth of feeling of the lyrics.

You love Human, yet like the depth of lyrics? ;)

Personally, I like the music to Human, but the lyrics drag it down for me, and it's one of my least favourite songs on Day & Age (which is comfortably their best album in my opinion, though Hot Fuss does have some stronger songs).

Personally I think the lyrics are The Killer's weakest point. They always sound quite awkward to me, and there's always a few lines on an album which make me wish Flowers had spent just a little more time on.

It always takes me ages to get into an album, but Battle Born is taking a while. They've completely changed their sound, while it's still very Killers (something I liked about REM - each one was clearly an REM album, but every single one sounded completely different to every other one), but for whatever reason it's not quite grabbing me yet. Perhaps that's down to having a few slower songs towards the end of the album, and slower songs nearly always take longer to pull you in. Moments are starting to become more memorable though, and sometimes the albums which take multiple listens to get in to end up being long-term favourites, that's why I can still love each REM album despite having listened to one most days for the past 17 years or so - I doubt many listened to an REM album and instantly loved it - they all mature over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 07:51PM by gav.
Date: September 20, 2012 10:28PM
Posted by: Vader
danm Wrote:
> haddaway... what is love...
>
> year 4. school disco. 10p space invaders. ahhhhhh,
> memories!

Space Invaders was 1978 and What Is Love came out in 92. Looks like ya done spent a helluva long ass time in Year 4 ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 20, 2012 10:35PM
Posted by: Toki
[url=

&feature=related][/url]

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.
Date: October 12, 2012 12:26AM
Posted by: n00binio
Nightwish's "end of an era" performance of "high hopes"

on a side note, it's kind of sad to see Anette and NW part ways. hopefully the rumors saying its due to a serious illness are not true

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: October 12, 2012 03:14AM
Posted by: danm

seems i got the name wrong! still only 10p!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2012 03:42AM by danm.
Date: October 12, 2012 03:18AM
Posted by: Slash

and the always AMAZING!

Date: October 12, 2012 03:45AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
> You love Human, yet like the depth of lyrics? ;)

Just seen this.
Yeah, I guess it might come across as a strange thing to say. Having an artistic personality and temperament, I read great depth and meaning into things which most people might find random/crazy/bizarre. Personally I've always had a soft spot for The Killers' lyrics, on their better known songs at least. With Human, the abstract nature of the lyrics captivates me somehow. Because they're all metaphorical I can totally understand why they might not come across the way I see them - we all have a slightly different idea of what lyrical depth is as well.
Or something. :P

Date: October 12, 2012 05:28PM
Posted by: truecrysis
There are killers fans on GPG? Wow didn't imagine that from you guys ;). Have to say i'm a huge fan myself, a lot of the songs have a sort of epic las vegas feel too them (i wonder why!), and i can understand what EC83 says completely. Based on the fact i over-think quite a lot of stuff, i tend to really see quite a lot of meaning behind a lot of Brandon's words. Battle born is no different, although if you want to bridge the gap between the sounds of Day & Age and Battle Born, then Flamingo explains a lot. Still have no clue what my favourite album is, each one has such fantastic songs, so much so i may have to say the live at the royal albert hall is my favourite, due to the intense feeling from the crowd.

Going to see them in Manchester on 14/11 ;)

As for currently listening: Call it what you want - Foster the People (also awesome live!)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: October 12, 2012 07:56PM
Posted by: gav
truecrysis
so much so i may have to say the live at the royal albert hall is my favourite, due to the intense feeling from the crowd.

Fantastic show, and rather epic in HD.
Date: October 12, 2012 08:00PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Personally my problem with The Killers is that I've not been on a night out in the last 6 years when I haven't heard Mr Brightside

@Connor, where in Manc are you seeing them mate? MEN or the Academy?

Give Foster the People's album a listen all the way, some crackers on there

Stand out for me is Helena Beat

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 12, 2012 10:04PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
> Personally my problem with The Killers is that
> I've not been on a night out in the last 6 years
> when I haven't heard Mr Brightside
>
> @Connor, where in Manc are you seeing them mate?
> MEN or the Academy?
>
> Give Foster the People's album a listen all the
> way, some crackers on there
>
> Stand out for me is Helena Beat

Yeh i agree, Mr Brightside is a great song, but you do have to wonder when its the only one people seem to know.

Going to see them at the MEN i believe, you going?

Yup FTP's album is brilliant, everyone should at least give it a chance. Personal standout is Houdini, they tend to open with it at their concerts, fantastic way to kick it all off.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: October 13, 2012 12:49PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Nah mate, just wondering as I live in Manchester

Yeah I'd really like to see them live

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: January 18, 2013 04:49AM
Posted by: RenaultRS10
Date: January 30, 2013 05:11PM
Posted by: Toki
[url=

][/url]

[url=

][/url]

The Real Story of the Race was that the Renault's fell apart and the Ferrari's didn't.
Rosberg headed for the sliproad and retired, probably because of Nicotin starvation they have still not given him a helmet with a little hole in it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2013 08:45PM by Toki.
Date: February 02, 2013 11:03PM
Posted by: RenaultRS10
Date: February 03, 2013 01:34AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Lots of John Frusciante, Turin Brakes and Mumford & Sons...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 03, 2013 10:44PM
Posted by: Vader
Gojira
A Pale Horse Named Death
Country & Rockabilly stuff

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: February 04, 2013 03:14AM
Posted by: EC83
Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy