Ask Vader......

Posted by Vader 
Re: Ask Vader
Date: October 15, 2009 06:16PM
Posted by: msater
Can I ask one more question?

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: October 15, 2009 07:22PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Do you think Hamilton and Scherzinger will ever get married? ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 15, 2009 07:58PM
Posted by: smorr
But seeing how infinity is an infinite value, one would assume that dividing by infinity would have to be so insignificant that you get zero.

Eventually you have to call it quits, no?

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: October 15, 2009 08:37PM
Posted by: Vader
msater: Can I ask one more question?

Vader: You just did anyway. Why ask?

SchueyFan: Do you think Hamilton and Scherzinger will ever get married? ;)

Vader: If you ask for my personal opinion on this I'd have to say that I don't really care enough to waste time thinking about it.

smorr: But seeing how infinity is an infinite value, one would assume that dividing by infinity would have to be so insignificant that you get zero.

Eventually you have to call it quits, no?

Vader: If there is a difference between 0.0000000001 and 0.00000000001 (and no rocket scientist would deny that fact) it is clear that there also is a difference between infinitely close to zero and zero as such, as insignificant you may think it is.

Eventually I don't call it quits, I call it logic.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 15, 2009 09:22PM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
but if 0,99999999999999... is the same as 1, then surely 1/infinity is the same as zero. right?
Date: October 15, 2009 10:11PM
mr.napa-br: but if 0,99999999999999... is the same as 1, then surely 1/infinity is the same as zero. right?

Vader: No, it definitely isn't. 0.99999999999999999 is 0.99999999999999999 and 1 is 1. Almost pregant isn't pregnant either.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 15, 2009 11:17PM
But we are talking MANY more zeroes before a one, as in a INFINITE amount. The result is so close to zero that there is your result.

Vader, do you have a math major?

Date: October 15, 2009 11:30PM
smorr: But we are talking MANY more zeroes before a one, as in a INFINITE amount. The result is so close to zero that there is your result.

Vader: Extremely close to zero is not zero. If so there were no different terms for "close to zero" and "zero".

smorr: Vader, do you have a math major?

Vader: I have a degree in English and philosophy. Remember, the first greek mathematicians regarded themselves as philosophers. My definition of philosophy also is classic. I don't go for that postmodern gibberish. Never forget: formal logic - as mathematical as it looks - is a classic discipline of philosophy.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 16, 2009 09:08PM
Posted by: Frantic
Whats your opinion about Voltaire and Rousseau?

Date: October 16, 2009 09:45PM
Frantic: Whats your opinion about Voltaire and Rousseau?

Vader: Both honorable men and famous philosophers. As a firm believer in the principles of Enlightment I have a very high opinion on Voltaire. I do not necessarily share Rosseau's optimism concerning the good nature of men, but he certainly has his deserved place in history.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 16, 2009 09:54PM
So even if you have .01^Infinity, you still have 1. Which, means you must know where exactly infinity is. Who is to say that everything we know about math stays the same when counting infinity, after all, it's not really a number.

Date: October 16, 2009 09:58PM
And even if there was a negligible difference between 0 and .01^Infinity the difference would be SO small that even for intergalactic equations it still wouldn't matter. Even on the biggest scale possible you still think it really is different in a practical sense?

Date: October 16, 2009 10:34PM
smorr: So even if you have .01^Infinity, you still have 1. Which, means you must know where exactly infinity is. Who is to say that everything we know about math stays the same when counting infinity, after all, it's not really a number.

Vader: If it's not a number there is no wonder why dividing by it is so hard. But yes, it's a limit and by difinition limits can be approached but never fully reached.

smorr: And even if there was a negligible difference between 0 and .01^Infinity the difference would be SO small that even for intergalactic equations it still wouldn't matter. Even on the biggest scale possible you still think it really is different in a practical sense?

Vader: If the difference didn't matter it simply wouldn't be there.

Is it really different in a practical sense? No, you are right - it isn't.
Is it really different in a technical sense? Yes, I'm right - it is.

So what? Maybe in a few hundered years people will find out it matters. Who knows? And even if not it is important to mind that technically there is a difference. Why? Because of the same reasons that make people find new places after the decimal point for pi. Here you could also argue that it doesn't matter when obviously it does.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 16, 2009 10:59PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
In science, if you want little bangs, do chemistry. If you want the really big bangs, do physics. ;-)

Calculations matter in physics. If you're out by 0.1 x 10^1000, it's still out. No amount of rounding will compensate for that in the real world.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: October 17, 2009 12:19AM
turkey_machine: In science, if you want little bangs, do chemistry. If you want the really big bangs, do physics. ;-)

Calculations matter in physics. If you're out by 0.1 x 10^1000, it's still out. No amount of rounding will compensate for that in the real world.

Vader: So where's your question? It's the "Ask Vader" and not the "Discuss Things" thread. OT posts will get deleted. Why? Because I say so and I can.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 17, 2009 01:51AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I had the question, but it seems to have got lost between typing and posting. Forum error?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: October 17, 2009 04:06AM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
ok. let's call the fraction that generates 0,999999... "x".

x=0,9999...
10x=9,999...
10x-x=9,999...-0,999...
9x=9
x=1

therefore, 0,9999...=1

right?
Date: October 17, 2009 09:14AM
Posted by: Nickv
Can we stop talking about maths? Or can at least smorr stop being so stubborn? :P
Date: October 17, 2009 09:20AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Y so srs?

Date: October 17, 2009 11:07AM
turkey_machine: I had the question, but it seems to have got lost between typing and posting. Forum error?

Vader: No, God simply hate you. Get over it.

mr.napa-br :ok. let's call the fraction that generates 0,999999... "x".

x=0,9999...
10x=9,999...
10x-x=9,999...-0,999...
9x=9
x=1

therefore, 0,9999...=1

right?

Vader: Ok. Let's NOT call the fraction that generates 0.999999... "x".

Nickv: Can we stop talking about maths? Or can at least smorr stop being so stubborn? :P

Vader: I deleted he post anyway since it wasn't a question.

Iceman-Kimi: Y so srs?

Vader: Because we're all nerds.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy