Size Comparison ***1.4mb photo inside***

Posted by S75351 
Size Comparison ***1.4mb photo inside***
Date: March 19, 2009 12:55AM
Posted by: S75351
Dont know if this has been posted before but this is a size comparion between stars and planets and a photo taken from Hubble Telescope. Quite big you may need to scroll across. Not made by me!

Date: March 19, 2009 01:00AM
Posted by: Sapo
Unimaginable. Nice!

Some say... he's even smaller than 20kb.
And some say... he's so offensive he could get you into trouble...
The only thing we know is that he's called...

THE SIG

Felipe Massa, World Champion 15:34:11pm- 15:34:21pm.
Re: Size Comparison ***1.4mb photo inside***
Date: March 19, 2009 01:12AM
Posted by: Fincent
And to put all that into perspective as well, take a look at this page :)

[www.phrenopolis.com]

For reference, the diamater of CY Canis is so large that it would take light 8 hours to travel around its circumference. It only takes 8 minutes to get from the sun to earth. If you've not noticed already, this stuff fascinates me lol.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: March 19, 2009 01:21AM
Posted by: chet
It is quite amazing to think really...

When you look up into a clear night sky filled with stars you do have to wonder how many of those stars may contain a solar system. Then what are the chances of there being a planet able to sustain intelligent life? Everytime I look up it amazes me and yet annoys me a great deal to know that in at least our life time we never know and will really only be able to appreciate the smallest amount of our galaxy. I remember reading something saying there are more stars in our galaxy than sand grains on a beach. Well something like that!!

It's also when you think of this it has polarizing effects.

Some people think well it almost puts a certainty on a greater being aka God(?), the argument being that we are luckily enough to possibly be the special 'one'. And the other argument being that we are possible because the universe is vast that well anything is possible!!! At any one point every possibility of everything could be happening (if that makes sense??).

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 19, 2009 02:32AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I really love Astronomy and this is one of the bits I always think back to this. Dark Matter, black holes, neutrinos... incredible stuff!

On the immature side... URANUS IS HUGE! You better take care of that!
Date: March 19, 2009 03:59AM
Posted by: mortal
Who has a telescope?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 19, 2009 04:24AM
Posted by: SHEEPY
i had one :P but didnt use it for planets :P couldnt see anything in space coz its so light where i live :(
Date: March 19, 2009 07:07AM
Posted by: mortal
Here's mine. A Tasco 500mm. Wish I'd bought one with a equatorial motor drive now. I'd really like to hook up my Nikon D80 onto it.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 19, 2009 08:15AM
Posted by: montoya6k
Eventually life in space will clueless,lifeless for the next trillion years,with even the sun decaying 2x than previos years,and the space is expanding 5x compare for the last few years,oh i couldn't wait my great great great great great grand son would be died on space age.

2 Hot 2 Handle.

MS-

KR -

&quot;You must always pick the worst car and the worst team on the grid, to be the best.&quot;
—Fangio
Date: March 19, 2009 10:23AM
Posted by: senninho
Awesome post. Thanks for that :)

Date: March 19, 2009 12:46PM
Posted by: sasjag
absolutely brilliant :)

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: March 19, 2009 01:32PM
Posted by: n00binio
i really should unpack my telescope. has been too long since i used it for the last time...

not really on topic but also impresssiv was a ISS + Discovery flyby we could see here on tuesday evening. except for the moon the ISS was by far the brightest object in the sky.

another cool thing to do is pointing a telescope at the moon. when you do it for the first time you can't believe the moon is travelling so fast and you're always correcting in the wrong direction cause the image is mirrored (if you're using a reflector, i dunno about refractors)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: March 19, 2009 02:23PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, that is amazing indeed!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 19, 2009 03:31PM
Posted by: The Lopper
In the words of JBS Haldane: "...the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose."

And no, he was not implying that the universe is extravagantly gay.

Speaking of which:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Date: March 19, 2009 07:14PM
Posted by: Monza972
Wow, that is incredible. To find out there may be other galaxies besides ours is a huge change from the time they set foot on the Moon.
Date: March 19, 2009 07:19PM
Posted by: MattB
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's mine. A Tasco 500mm. Wish I'd bought one
> with a equatorial motor drive now. I'd really like
> to hook up my Nikon D80 onto it.
> [img297.imageshack.us]

You would get some awesome shots from that, something like this! :[nycko.deviantart.com]

Date: March 19, 2009 07:52PM
Monza972 schrieb:
> Wow, that is incredible. To find out there may be
> other galaxies besides ours is a huge change from
> the time they set foot on the Moon.

Hubble (the person) classified galaxies in 1936, so i think armstrong & co were aware of the fact that there are other galaxies in our universe :)

Date: March 19, 2009 10:30PM
Posted by: chet
Just another way of showing how big the universe is! The Andromeda Galaxy, the nearest to our own Milky Way is moving towards us at an unimaginable rate. Something like 100-140km/s!!!! And yet our sun will probably die before any collision.

btw I saw a program which iam sure quoted 700km/s! but apparenlty not lol!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 19, 2009 10:32PM
Posted by: The Lopper
If you want an easily comprehendable explanation of the sizes and distances involved in space, I really would recommend reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. A terrific book.
Date: March 19, 2009 11:19PM
The Lopper schrieb:
> If you want an easily comprehendable explanation
> of the sizes and distances involved in space, I
> really would recommend reading A Short History of
> Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. A terrific book.

+1

one of the best books ever!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy