Panasonic SC-HT 530 Home Cinema

Posted by madotter 
Panasonic SC-HT 530 Home Cinema
Date: November 07, 2005 11:14PM
Posted by: madotter
Ok, so I got a home cinema system but as always, i have a problem!!

DVD = 5.1
Sky = 2.1.... WHY!?

Its a Dolby Pro Logic II which converts any (even not 5.1 supported progs such as Simpsons, BBC News, anything) analog/digital and pumps 600Watt from 5.1 but when watching TV, only 2.1 works.

My dad has some cheap 50watt home cinema from ASDA which cost £35 and he gets full 5.1 on all sky/dvd/anything and my £179.99 system wont!

Any ideas, SKY dont know and the useless manual doesnt help at all!

Atm i have it connected like this:

DVD/Home Cinema -----> Sky Digital -----> LG TV
(scart/red and white audio cables from DVD/Home Cinema to Sky, the Sky uses Scart to the TV)

Hope someone can help!
Iain

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 12:24AM by madotter.
Re: Panasonic SC-HT 530 Home Cinema
Date: November 08, 2005 12:32AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
If by Red and White audio cables you mean Phono Cables, well Phono is just Stereo... so thats only gonna output 2 channels... Do you have any Digital Outputs from the Sky Box? like SPDIF or Optical for example?

Sorry I'm afraid I have no experience with Sky Boxes :) but if some of the channels on there are ment to be 5.1, then I'd imagine that they would have Digital Outputs.

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: November 08, 2005 12:49AM
I have this Sky box:

The DS430N is the latest standard digibox offered by Pace. It is unrivalled in reliability and its sleek and compact design mark it out as the obvious choice for those who would have a non-recordable digibox.

Features

Terrestrial Antenna Input - Enables the set- top box to pass through analogue terrestrial RF signals to the TV and VCR
RF Output - To connect the set-top box to TVs & VCRs without a SCART connector
2nd RF Output - Enables a second TV in the home to receive the decoded satellite channels. The output also supports a "magic eye", allowing the user to remotely control the set-top box from another room
TV A/V SCART - Provides either composite or RGB and composite video output. Audio volume can also be controlled in software
VCR A/V SCART - Can provide on-screen graphics to the VCR if required and inputs to the connector can be routed to the TV SCART when the unit is in standby
Analogue Audio Outputs - Users wishing to integrate the set-top box into their home theatre or stereo system can do so through these audio outputs provided on RCA connectors.
RS232 - Serial port for legacy devices, game pads, upgrades and diagnostics
RF Input - F-Type connector for satellite LNB
Telco Modem - A V.34 PSTN return path enables interactive services such as Pay-Per-View, voting, home shopping and games
Power supply - for detachable power cable
High speed Data Port - for future upgrade options
User Interface

Supports Open TV Middleware to provide superb usability features for the user.
Security

Supports NDS content protection systems.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 12:50AM by madotter.
Date: November 08, 2005 12:57AM
If by Red and White audio cables you mean Phono Cables, well Phono is just Stereo... so thats only gonna output 2 channels...

Its the cable my dad uses to get 5.1 on his.
Date: November 08, 2005 03:43AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
then it aint true 5.1 :P hehehe
u need to run a digital line from Sky Digital to Digital Decoder... run that on a digital challen (coax or optical)
then u run ur dvd player into the decoder (coax or optical)
then connect the picture up to you television
then make ur u have pro logic II selected on ur decoder
and woooollaaaaaahhhhh
true 5.1 and upmixed 2.1

and dont pay someone to do it, dad had someone set ours up only for me to pull it apart and do it

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: November 08, 2005 06:07AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Iain, have Matt fly from Aussieland to install it ;). Then he could ship me the Snoopy movies as well :P
Date: November 08, 2005 06:55AM
hehehehe :P
at least i do a good job :P

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: November 08, 2005 09:20AM
Posted by: Covfan
You need Sky+ to get 5.1 from Sky Digital
Date: November 08, 2005 09:32AM
SpaceAce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> then it aint true 5.1 :P hehehe
> u need to run a digital line from Sky Digital to
> Digital Decoder... run that on a digital challen
> (coax or optical)
> then u run ur dvd player into the decoder (coax or
> optical)
> then connect the picture up to you television
> then make ur u have pro logic II selected on ur
> decoder
> and woooollaaaaaahhhhh
> true 5.1 and upmixed 2.1
>
> and dont pay someone to do it, dad had someone set
> ours up only for me to pull it apart and do it
>
>

Im sorry, what?
Date: November 08, 2005 09:42AM
well as i have just been informed by Covfan ur scrweed if u want true 5.1 on ur sky box :P

So...
now

1. Open box :P

ok once u got everything out...
Get some RCA wires (red, yellow, white), connect ur skybox to ur amplified/dvd/decoder thingy... this will be red and white into your box and yellow into ur tv... thats the simplest.. unless you have a S-video cable then you could use that... ull need to set the channel up so it uses pro logic

for your dvd player, you want 5.1 sound obviously in its true form, so u need a digital optical cable, local hi-fi store have them, this goes in a specially designed plug in the back of ur dvd and decoder, it looks like a square hole. When this is connected u need to select the digital channel on ur decoder box.

u have my msn and it u dont its mtchouston@hotmail.com
if u need some help

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: November 08, 2005 10:21AM
heres how its setup atm, with Dolby Pro Logic II on and all other settings calibrated.

Excuse the hand made picture ;)
Date: November 08, 2005 11:02AM
Posted by: villej
I think you need a digital connector to transfer 5.1 sound from STB to Home theather system.

If your STB has either one coaxial digital connector or optical digital connector, then you just need to buy suitable cable to lead the audio signal to you home teather.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: November 08, 2005 11:31AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
yup, sounds like your dad had "fake" 5.1 - 2.1 channels through 6 speakers, so identical sound, but via more speakers.

I can do this too, by hooking my sub up with 2 phonos to VCR, 2 to DVD and 2 to NTL Digital, and each of those is connected by scart so it all works. Its just the same sound though.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 08, 2005 08:48PM
Ive taken it back, got a refund. Im looking for just the Home Cinema without the DVD. I just want to connect the 2 audio cables from the Amp/sub to the back of the Sky box.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy